• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Draft trades that make sense" article on ESPN.com

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who don't have an Insider account:

"San Francisco 49ers trade the No. 30 and No. 56 picks to the Baltimore Ravens for the No. 17 pick

The Niners are in prime position to trade up in the 2014 draft. They already have a very physical football team on both offense and defense, but the area they might be looking to upgrade is a vertical threat at wide receiver who can also be an impact return man on special teams. The offense has an athletic quarterback in Colin Kaepernick and tight end in Vernon Davis, a tough runner in Frank Gore and bigger-bodied receivers such as Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree, and adding a legit vertical threat would create 16 regular-season headaches for opposing defensive coordinators.

They aren't likely to find that guy with the 30th pick, but there should be some appealing options at No. 17. A guy like Oregon State's Brandin Cooks or LSU's Odell Beckham Jr. would transform a very good offense into an explosive one.

For the Ravens, this would give them the opportunity to add a second-round pick in a really deep draft, and they can still get a very good player with the 30th overall pick. General manager Ozzie Newsome has done a great job at finding value outside of the top few picks in the draft -- Ray Lewis, Todd Heap, Ed Reed and Jimmy Smith are some notable examples -- which is another reason for them to feel good about moving back in this scenario."

Personally, I wouldn't hate this trade.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like that trade a lot, actually in the other thread I suggested that we trade up for Cooks. We have the ammo for sure.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like that trade a lot, actually in the other thread I suggested that we trade up for Cooks. We have the ammo for sure.

I would also like the Niners to trade up for Cooks. Last year the Niners with the Cowboys to get Reid. They moved up from #31 to #18 in the 1st round and also gave the Cowboys a 3rd rounder (#74). Maybe instead of giving up a 2nd round pick, the Niners can give the Ravens a 3rd round pick (#77).

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh. I'd hate that trade. I'm not on the Brandon Cooks band wagon. Mostly because I think Fuller and Verrett would bring more value to this team.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh. I'd hate that trade. I'm not on the Brandon Cooks band wagon. Mostly because I think Fuller and Verrett would bring more value to this team.

Those guys are great players too but you can't get everyone you want plus WR is arguably a more pressing need than CB, with a WR who can stretch the field being undoubtedly a more pressing need.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB is a more pressing need. We can get a Mathews in the 2nd rd. Got to go CB in the 1st rd.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Those guys are great players too but you can't get everyone you want plus WR is arguably a more pressing need than CB, with a WR who can stretch the field being undoubtedly a more pressing need.

I disagree and I would say CB is by far a bigger pressing need.

I mean right now we're staring Brock and Cully who both imo are #2 type of CBs at best. Cully is coming off an ACL tear and has a possible suspension looking his way.

Brock admittedly has grown on me but he's still not ever going to be a guy that you could put on a team's #1 WR and expect him to shut him down.

And beyond that we have Cook, Cox, and Wright as possible third corners.

Don't get me wrong WR is a need especially as you mentioned one that could stretch the field but if the season started today and we trotted out Boldin, Crabtree, Lloyd, and Patton it would still be a much better group than trotting out Brock, Cully, Cox, and Wright.

We would be much better served trading up for say a Gilbert at CB and drafting a speedy TY Hilton type of guy in the 2nd or 3rd.

But I will also say if we can't get a #1 type of CB in trading up I would rather trade up to get a WR in the first. #2 type of CBs seem pretty thick in the 2nd round so the value would be stronger to grab a WR in the 1st and maybe trade up in the 2nd to grab a CB.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main reason I like Cooks and Beckham is that they become our #1 KR as well, thus clearing a roster spot (james) for another young developmental player.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree and I would say CB is by far a bigger pressing need.

I mean right now we're staring Brock and Cully who both imo are #2 type of CBs at best. Cully is coming off an ACL tear and has a possible suspension looking his way.

Brock admittedly has grown on me but he's still not ever going to be a guy that you could put on a team's #1 WR and expect him to shut him down.

And beyond that we have Cook, Cox, and Wright as possible third corners.

Don't get me wrong WR is a need especially as you mentioned one that could stretch the field but if the season started today and we trotted out Boldin, Crabtree, Lloyd, and Patton it would still be a much better group than trotting out Brock, Cully, Cox, and Wright.

We would be much better served trading up for say a Gilbert at CB and drafting a speedy TY Hilton type of guy in the 2nd or 3rd.

But I will also say if we can't get a #1 type of CB in trading up I would rather trade up to get a WR in the first. #2 type of CBs seem pretty thick in the 2nd round so the value would be stronger to grab a WR in the 1st and maybe trade up in the 2nd to grab a CB.

Based upon the teams actions this offseason, I would say that they too disagree with you. They re-signed Boldin and went after several big names at WR. They weren't nearly as active in the CB market. They signed Cook and resigned Cox and Wright; it appears that they are more than happy to go with Brock and Culliver as starters.

As for WR, we have no future. Crabtree is on his final year, Boldin is ancient and likely to continue to decline, Lloyd hasn't played in a year and Patton is unproven.

We are much better off at CB than WR right now and I believe that the teams actions reflect that. WR that can stretch the field should trump all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are we better off at CB than at WR right now?!?!

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are we better off at CB than at WR right now?!?!

How aren't we? We literally have no future at WR and currently they have two young guys who they apparently love at CB, both of whom will likely end up being dirt cheap (Brock already being signed, Culliver next). We also have no one on the team at WR who is capable of stretching the field on a consistent basis.

I'm not speaking from the perspective of fans who are looking for names, I'm judging by the state of the team and the offseason activity.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All though I don't disagree with you very often, I have to strongly disagree with you here. The value is really in the 2nd round when it comes to WR's and there is a more significant drop off at CB. We have Brock and a bunch of unproven back ups. Moncrief, Matthews, Robinson, Bryant, Benjamin, Davante Adams, Richardson, Latimer, Coleman (who I really like), and Landry all have chances at being there in the 2nd and/or 3rd round. It's a very small drop off compared to the CB position. This is a copy cat league. NFL teams will want to do what the Seahawks did with Sherman, Thurmond, and Maxwell this year and what they did with Peyton. I expect a lot of CB's to come flying off the board in first couple of rounds.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Based upon the teams actions this offseason, I would say that they too disagree with you. They re-signed Boldin and went after several big names at WR. They weren't nearly as active in the CB market. They signed Cook and resigned Cox and Wright; it appears that they are more than happy to go with Brock and Culliver as starters.

As for WR, we have no future. Crabtree is on his final year, Boldin is ancient and likely to continue to decline, Lloyd hasn't played in a year and Patton is unproven.

We are much better off at CB than WR right now and I believe that the teams actions reflect that. WR that can stretch the field should trump all.

WR is in a stronger position than CB, we return our two starters from last season. can't use the team's earlier actions as reason for saying CB is stronger. simply look at the depth chart for WR and CB, and see how it stands today? CB is more needy now AND in the future.

if we want to include the 3rd WR, then we should include the NB. now, more so WR is in better shape over CB.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut feel since the end of last season has been if we get the right WR (deep threat) our offense could become a nightmare to defend and our D potentially takes a step back this season, mainly due to a young secondary and Bow's absence. I think the D starts to round into form late in the season and we are gaining momentum heading into the playoffs, assuming no major injuries.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR is in a stronger position than CB, we return our two starters from last season. can't use the team's earlier actions as reason for saying CB is stronger. simply look at the depth chart for WR and CB, and see how it stands today? CB is more needy now AND in the future.

if we want to include the 3rd WR, then we should include the NB. now, more so WR is in better shape over CB.

It is currently stronger on paper but at CB the team has one CB of the future locked up long term and are working on a second (or they were), they haven't even hinted at reaching out for a starting CB this offseason regardless if several being available. WR is completely opposite, they have nothing long term and have attempted several times to go after starting WR's. Judging by their actions THUS FAR, it APPEARS as they see WR as the more pressing need. We can't judge based on our opinions of the depth chart or what we think will happen.

I'm no fan of Culliver but the team seems to like the guy for whatever reason.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All though I don't disagree with you very often, I have to strongly disagree with you here. The value is really in the 2nd round when it comes to WR's and there is a more significant drop off at CB. We have Brock and a bunch of unproven back ups. Moncrief, Matthews, Robinson, Bryant, Benjamin, Davante Adams, Richardson, Latimer, Coleman (who I really like), and Landry all have chances at being there in the 2nd and/or 3rd round. It's a very small drop off compared to the CB position. This is a copy cat league. NFL teams will want to do what the Seahawks did with Sherman, Thurmond, and Maxwell this year and what they did with Peyton. I expect a lot of CB's to come flying off the board in first couple of rounds.

I guess we will have to just wait and see, I'm just going by the teams activity thus far this offseason; they've seemed to really go after WR's hard, not just WR's but starting caliber WR's.

I'm no fan of Culliver but it appears that the team is for some reason.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My gut feel since the end of last season has been if we get the right WR (deep threat) our offense could become a nightmare to defend and our D potentially takes a step back this season, mainly due to a young secondary and Bow's absence. I think the D starts to round into form late in the season and we are gaining momentum heading into the playoffs, assuming no major injuries.

our offense has enough weapons right now, all it needs (mainly not only) is more passing skills from Kaep. 'passing skills' meaning more consistency, and more success in the RZ. obviously, the other players make a difference too, but it starts with Kaep. it always starts with the QB, that's the NFL today.

Bowman's absence certainly affects the D, but Aldon's absence will make a bigger difference.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It is currently stronger on paper but at CB the team has one CB of the future locked up long term and are working on a second (or they were), they haven't even hinted at reaching out for a starting CB this offseason regardless if several being available. WR is completely opposite, they have nothing long term and have attempted several times to go after starting WR's. Judging by their actions THUS FAR, it APPEARS as they see WR as the more pressing need. We can't judge based on our opinions of the depth chart or what we think will happen.

I'm no fan of Culliver but the team seems to like the guy for whatever reason.

if the topic is 'which position is stronger', how can you not look at the depth chart?

1. Boldin
2. Crabtree
3. Patton
4. Baldwin
5. Lloyd

1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Cook
4. Cox

right off the bat we have our two starting WR's back. right off the bat we lost our two starting CB's.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our offense has enough weapons right now, all it needs (mainly not only) is more passing skills from Kaep. 'passing skills' meaning more consistency, and more success in the RZ. obviously, the other players make a difference too, but it starts with Kaep. it always starts with the QB, that's the NFL today.

Bowman's absence certainly affects the D, but Aldon's absence will make a bigger difference.

We need a another deep threat besides VD. And I agree with you on Kaep. My gut is he steps it up this season but a deep threat makes his arm that much more lethal. This is a make or break season for him if he wants to be considered Elite.

I left Aldon out because all his stuff is pending. Also, we have Lemon, Tank, Skuta, and Brooks. We did okay without Aldon for four games last year. I think Bow is more important than people realize. And while Willhoite is okay, he's not Bow.

I think our DBs are adequate if we can get a pass rush. If not, we're hosed.