• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Dolphins vs Cowboys

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final thoughts:

To the people who will just use the "it's just the preseason" argument, consider that preseason play is very important for the development of QBs. Sure, it may not translate to season success but it doesn't hurt to play outstanding in the preseason. And if you've seen the kind of QBs not named Romo the Cowboys have rolled around here since Aikman left, Dak Prescott is a welcome sight. So far he has made the correct reads and has made NFL caliber throws on a number of occasions. He has nice touch with his screen passes, hits receivers in stride on inside routes, and can launch deep throws down the field with precision. Again, it's just a welcome sight, especially considering Romo is at the end of his career. I was really unsure about this team's future after Romo, but now there seems to be some hope.
I've been on the Dak train since before the Cowboys drafted him, and while his start has been great to see, it's also setting up way to high expectations. I really think Dak could be a quality NFL starter, similar to a Russell Wilson, but the best thing that could happen to him would be if Romo were healthy and effective the next couple of seasons and he can soak in as much knowledge from Romo as possible.
The best part about Dak's start though is the reaction from opposing fan bases...it started out last week as ''look at the Cowboys fans hoping Dak is the real deal''....now it's becoming ''oh F''', Dak might be the real deal'' :wash:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accuracy is supposedly his knock
yes...it's a work in progress (int nullified shows as much)... but, nothing other than how quickly Dak has adapted to this point surprises me. I can not over sell the poise, desire and determination to work and get better this guy possesses. mature beyond his years is what he brings....4 year starter AND was a red-shirt freshman. Long ways to go, but I remain glad this team saw Dak as a quality prospect.

I'll say it again....this defense will not be as butt ugly as some assume. I saw a lot of good things last night.
We'll see

Last edited:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes...it's a work in progress (int nullified shows as much)... but, nothing other than how quickly Dak has adapted to this point surprises me. I can not over sell the poise, desire and determination to work and get better this guy possesses. mature beyond his years is what he brings....4 year start AND was a red-shirt freshman. Long ways to go, but I remain glad this team saw Dak as a quality prospect.

I'll say it again....this defense will not be as butt ugly as some assume. I saw a lot of good things last night.
We'll see
Defense looked better than last week.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes...it's a work in progress (int nullified shows as much)... but, nothing other than how quickly Dak has adapted to this point surprises me. I can not over sell the poise, desire and determination to work and get better this guy possesses. mature beyond his years is what he brings....4 year starter AND was a red-shirt freshman. Long ways to go, but I remain glad this team saw Dak as a quality prospect.

We'll see
If the offense stays healthy, the D will benefit, as the club did two years ago when they won 12 games, and during the early 90's, from an offense that can get the lead and then just play keep away. The defense simply played too many minutes last season. There were many games when they DID bow up and get a big stop, or even a couple of stops that should have ended the game, but then we would go 3 and out in a minute or just turn it over to lose the game. I agree with you on the D

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak has not looked like your typical star struck rookie

with some learning behind Romo we could have a real diamond wearing the baseball cap as backup and I for 1 have not seen that since Romo was the backup

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone talks about the dline. That's where I think we'll be much better than most assume. Coaching will matter and I like our chances. The linebacker play will be huge this year. Wilson showed pretty well and I hope the Wyoming backer is only dinged cause he also showed some against the rams. Going to need a group effort all along the front seven this year.

slap me but I think Mo has come to play and finally ready to show. :hope:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone talks about the dline. That's where I think we'll be much better than most assume. Coaching will matter and I like our chances. The linebacker play will be huge this year. Wilson showed pretty well and I hope the Wyoming backer is only dinged cause he also showed some against the rams. Going to need a group effort all along the front seven this year.

Mo has looked pretty good, and Jones looks like he is going to be even better this year

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've gotta love Dak.... That kid is the real deal.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see potential with the DLine but as of today that's all I see is potential. That's not a knock, just me being cautious. I do like that through rotations there's not much drop off from one to the next. Jervis pressure Sacks are great but as long as they can pressure the QB they'd will be good.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he won't LOL. Not this season for darn sure....
Romo would be in danger, not because Dak could outplay him but because of how fickle this fan base is and how terrible the media is towards the Cowboys. [Especially when the team is losing.] No, I don't think Romo should ever be benched, but if he gets off to a bad start which would likely mean the Boys are losing, don't pretend like the media and this fan base won't bitch about it to the point he gets benched for continued bad play. I've seen it happen in the NFL too many times. The media and fan bases can dictate change. But I expect Romo to play well so I doubt this will ever be an issue. I'm just saying IF he played bad.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo would be in danger, not because Dak could outplay him but because of how fickle this fan base is and how terrible the media is towards the Cowboys. [Especially when the team is losing.] No, I don't think Romo should ever be benched, but if he gets off to a bad start which would likely mean the Boys are losing, don't pretend like the media and this fan base won't bitch about it to the point he gets benched for continued bad play. I've seen it happen in the NFL too many times. The media and fan bases can dictate change. But I expect Romo to play well so I doubt this will ever be an issue. I'm just saying IF he played bad.
I agree with everything you said, but JG is never benching a healthy Romo. Not this year anyway

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll see
The poise is very obvious and very impressive. It's like things slow down for him and he never panics.

Defense: pressure was pretty good and the open field tackling was way better than the first game. I think if we can get a pass rush we will actually be bordering on "good" on D. I think Lawrence is going to be a very, very good player when he comes back. If we don't get a pass rush we better hope Jones and Mo take a big step forward and that Wilcox doesn't see the field. He seems to be getting worse each year...

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll be shocked if there isn't seemingly a strong push for Dak to become the starter after the Packers game, unless the Cowboys get out of there looking good on offense and they're 4-2 or 5-1 headed into the bye. That said, Romo's contract has to be a factor in all of this. Unless Romo gets hurt or is flat out awful, he's the starter all year no matter how much people bitch about it.

Next year, I think he likely comes in as the starter, but I think bad performances next year could land him on the bench for good. I think the Cowboys will be comfortable enough getting rid of him after 2017 if he isn't performing. His dead money should be reasonable enough to deal with by that point. If he's good this year and next year, I think Dallas would be open to starting the season with him in 2018, but possibly finishing with Dak depending on how things play out. I have a hard time seeing Romo have 3 more amazing years considering his age and injuries. Add Dak's presence to the mix, and eventually the temptation to move on is going to be too great.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be shocked if there isn't seemingly a strong push for Dak to become the starter after the Packers game, unless the Cowboys get out of there looking good on offense and they're 4-2 or 5-1 headed into the bye. That said, Romo's contract has to be a factor in all of this. Unless Romo gets hurt or is flat out awful, he's the starter all year no matter how much people bitch about it.

Next year, I think he likely comes in as the starter, but I think bad performances next year could land him on the bench for good. I think the Cowboys will be comfortable enough getting rid of him after 2017 if he isn't performing. His dead money should be reasonable enough to deal with by that point. If he's good this year and next year, I think Dallas would be open to starting the season with him in 2018, but possibly finishing with Dak depending on how things play out. I have a hard time seeing Romo have 3 more amazing years considering his age and injuries. Add Dak's presence to the mix, and eventually the temptation to move on is going to be too great.
When he signed his contract it pretty much guaranteed he's on the team through 2017 and rltoo expensive to keep beyond that, there's been a couple of contract redo's but nothing has changed with 2017 most likely being all for Tony.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he signed his contract it pretty much guaranteed he's on the team through 2017 and rltoo expensive to keep beyond that, there's been a couple of contract redo's but nothing has changed with 2017 most likely being all for Tony.
Short of him getting hurt, I want Romo starting for the Cowboys the next few years anyway. Before his injury, he was playing at a level slightly under Brady and ARod, and I mean slightly. With the talent around him, our offense may be the best in the league