• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did your team make the Blue Blood list?

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gawd dammit, this is America. We are all born equal.

Edit: Read as green font.
Shit. I've been reading this all as green font. :pound:

Edit: Wait... are you assuming the privilege of equality as an American?!?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Neyland's maxims are the essence of college football. Every coach worth being employed can and will quote them as keys to victory. Even Lucifer's Vessel, Nick Saban has cited Neyland's maxims as key to Alabama's victories more than once.

Tennessee's football program has quite a history. There have been other greatly successful coaches of the Volunteers, but Neyland's impact upon CFB and his enduring legacy place UT in rarefied air. There is no list of great CFB programs without Tennessee.

But that doesn't make UT a blue blood. They are 2nd tier, maybe, never better than that.

Someone said that blue blood status can not be lost? If that is true, Minnesota is still a blue blood as they absolutely were still a blue blood for the first 100 years of cfb history. And with Fleck onboard, he may just prove this axiom true? BUT...

Even as much of a Gopher homer as I am, I don't think I can agree, I'd like to, but I can't.

A school CAN lose blue blood status.

Minnesota lost theirs.

Nebraska? They seem bound and determined to prove that they have lost theirs if it hasn't already been lost? And tbh, were they really a blue blood? Not saying they aren't/weren't, just like to read a Husker fan's argument as for why they are/were is all.

Washington? Sorry AG, I feel for you man, I'd like to agree with you that UW is, but I think it could be argued they had the potential to become a blue blood, but instead just established them as a long term 2nd tier program. And that is where I'd place Tennessee, too.

My definites? Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio St, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC. I don't know if anyone else qualifies?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that doesn't make UT a blue blood. They are 2nd tier, maybe, never better than that.

Someone said that blue blood status can not be lost? If that is true, Minnesota is still a blue blood as they absolutely were still a blue blood for the first 100 years of cfb history. And with Fleck onboard, he may just prove this axiom true? BUT...

Even as much of a Gopher homer as I am, I don't think I can agree, I'd like to, but I can't.

A school CAN lose blue blood status.

Minnesota lost theirs.

Nebraska? They seem bound and determined to prove that they have lost theirs if it hasn't already been lost? And tbh, were they really a blue blood? Not saying they aren't/weren't, just like to read a Husker fan's argument as for why they are/were is all.

Washington? Sorry AG, I feel for you man, I'd like to agree with you that UW is, but I think it could be argued they had the potential to become a blue blood, but instead just established them as a long term 2nd tier program. And that is where I'd place Tennessee, too.

My definites? Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio St, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC. I don't know if anyone else qualifies?

Why Michigan?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Michigan?

I did NOT want to include them on the list, and I wouldn't hate anyone for not including them on their list, but they just check off all of the qualities. Give them the right coach and before long they could win a title or a couple of them even, and it could happen quite quickly, too.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did NOT want to include them on the list, and I wouldn't hate anyone for not including them on their list, but they just check off all of the qualities. Give them the right coach and before long they could win a title or a couple of them even, and it could happen quite quickly, too.

Which qualities are those?

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which are?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which qualities are those?

Big huge stadium packed full of fans for every home game, willingness to pay a boatload for a supposedly big time hire for a coach, consistently ranking high enough with recruiting to win titles with a good coach. Tons of fans located all over the country. More wins than anyone other than Notre Dame. Lots of conf titles, tons of cfb hall of famers, tons of all-americans, players who went out and were successful in coaching or in the NFL. Dudes, I hate having to admit all of this crap as I hate Michigan. So go ahead and prove me wrong, PLEASE!!! lol

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Blood :cool:

10025522-ncaa-football-washington-spring-game-1.jpeg
I'm a UGA fan and I can accept that we aren't Blue Blood if you go by a proper definition of Blue Blood. And, we would be consider BB far before you would.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota was the only school in history to be a blue blood at one time in ALL FOUR of the major league sports. :)

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big huge stadium packed full of fans for every home game, willingness to pay a boatload for a supposedly big time hire for a coach, consistently ranking high enough with recruiting to win titles with a good coach. Tons of fans located all over the country. More wins than anyone other than Notre Dame. Lots of conf titles, tons of cfb hall of famers, tons of all-americans, players who went out and were successful in coaching or in the NFL. Dudes, I hate having to admit all of this crap as I hate Michigan. So go ahead and prove me wrong, PLEASE!!! lol

I think you should check the recruiting rankings again. They aren't as consistent as you think.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not claiming they are Top 5. But aren't they comparable to Clemson's? Clemson has only cracked the Top Ten like once before 2019, right?

In the last few years, Michigan has had a class ranked in the 20s and a class ranked in the 30s.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I personally LOVE to hear that. lol I'd love nothing more than to see Michigan suffer through a very long slump, lol.

Hence why I asked your criteria, as Michigan does not check off the recruiting box.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last few years, Michigan has had a class ranked in the 20s and a class ranked in the 30s.
In three of the last four years and five of the last eight they have had top ten classes.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In three of the last four years and five of the last eight they have had top ten classes.

2 years outside the top 20 isn't all that consistent. And it's not as if the years in the top 10 they were high on the list.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years outside the top 20 isn't all that consistent. And it's not as if the years in the top 10 they were high on the list.
So then Clemson can’t win titles because they aren’t ever ranked highly in the top ten?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then Clemson can’t win titles because they aren’t ever ranked highly in the top ten?

Ability to win titles isn't what makes someone a blue blood according to his definition.

FWIW, Clemson just pulled in the #3 class, higher than any Michigan has had in quite a while.

Also, Clemson is not a blue blood.