• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the hanranhanhanranham experiment isnt looking too well. I think hes close to retirement.

Why? I googled hanrahan and nothing came up to say he was done.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty speaking of freezing ass cold. Winter of 94' after moving from Wash.DC area the ever so awesome crime capital. Wife and me pull up to grocery store in Oscoda. It is -15 or so. Look around the parking lot and there are empty cars running. We laughed so hard at how there would not be enough blocks back in DC.
f
Forgive me gandy, I dont get what you are saying here? Hope all is well bud.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my understanding after reading it is that cars running without people in them will have hub cap or tires stolen....while people are inside waiting for there cars to warm up.....I found it funny and true....

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Muzz got it. People were shopping keeping the cars running. I prolly saw a different car every morning on the BW Parkway(I-295) heading into DC. We just knew we had moved to small town USA.

I will also say Smitty and me chat so much he now speaks fluent Gandy. You know me my shit never hits keyboard the way it sounds in my head.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit.... Just noticed we got a fresh $1000 Vcash to lose in a couple weeks.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Muzz got it. People were shopping keeping the cars running. I prolly saw a different car every morning on the BW Parkway(I-295) heading into DC. We just knew we had moved to small town USA.

I will also say Smitty and me chat so much he now speaks fluent Gandy. You know me my shit never hits keyboard the way it sounds in my head.

There's some decipherin' to do from time to time. Hahaha

You guys had a little culture shock goin' on in that first winter, eh? Not sure how I would have handled rural living having not grown up that way. I lived in Kalamazoo for almost 15 years, never did stop thinking people were rude for not waving. Hahaha.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? I googled hanrahan and nothing came up to say he was done.

Yesterday on mlive there was an article about his BP session not going very well. Hes not sure if hes supposed to hurt or be tired since he has never went thru this before. But it sounded like it has been awhile since hes thrown pain free. Was also noted how this could be the end of his career if it doesnt turn around for him soon. So we shall see.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday on mlive there was an article about his BP session not going very well. Hes not sure if hes supposed to hurt or be tired since he has never went thru this before. But it sounded like it has been awhile since hes thrown pain free.

Yeah, TJ surgery has saved a lot of careers, but it's no guarantee. I noticed Hanrahan is not currently on the 40-man roster. Doesn't mean they can't make room for him if something miraculous happens, but I think it's a sign that they don't anticipate going north with him.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanrahan bullpen session cancelled today. Good news -- Bruce Rondon set to throw his second bullpen session after throwing pain-free Saturday.

I don't see the Tiger bullpen's success (or failure) hinging on Hanrahan anyway. The key components will be:

-- Nathan having a good year as closer. Doesn't have to be the Nathan of old, but certainly better than last season.
-- Joakim Soria pitching like he's capable.
-- Bruce Rondon returning as a reliable 7th/8th inning guy.
-- Gorzelanny and Krol being able to consistently get lefties out.

If Alex Wilson can pitch close to last year's limited duty numbers over a whole season, it's a bonus. If Alburquerque just does what he did last year, I'll take it. If Hanrahan can pitch effectively at all, it's a huge bonus, but the Tigers don't need to count on him.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you howie. Never expected much from hanranhan. Anything is better than coke for lhp. I would bet soria takes over the closer role 70-80 gms in. Just my hunch. I think nathan is done. I think soria will be fine and take over that role.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man i dont like this new SportsHoopla. Doesnt work well on the iphone

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would imagine signing Joba to a one year deal is another sign that Hanrahan is ?mark.

Sure hope it is first half Joba and not late season Joba.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would imagine signing Joba to a one year deal is another sign that Hanrahan is ?mark.
Sure hope it is first half Joba and not late season Joba.

Umm, yeah. My hope is that Rondon assumes the setup role and is "first half Joba" all year. Joba added for depth only. Even Dombrowski agrees: "We're not signing him to be the eighth-inning guy."

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting Detroit News article on how much better the Tiger defense should be this year...

The left side of the Tiger infield was -27 in DRS (Defensive Runs Saved) last season, meaning 27 below league average. Shortstops were -10 of that. Iglesias was +7 in DRS in a little more than half a season in 2013. Project his stats over a full season, and it's a swing of more than 20 runs saved. Castellanos is still a defensive liability, but you'd expect him to improve some from his rookie season.

Gose has above-average DRS numbers in CF over his career. Despite some highlight-reel catches, Austin Jackson was -4 in DRS at his position before the trade. Among left fielders, Cespedes is +17 in DRS over his career. And last year, Torii Hunter was atrocious in RF. After posting a +12 DRS just two seasons earlier (2012 in Anaheim), he was a putrid -18 in 2014, making him one of the worst position players relative to his peers in the entire league. J.D. Martinez is below average in RF, but I can't see him being as bad as Torii was.

Add to that Ian Kinsler, Alex Avila and Miguel Cabrera -- all 2014 finalists for Gold Glove awards at their positions -- and last year's weakness could very well be a strength in 2015.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joba at just 1Mil seems like a great signing to me.

He was more good than bad last year. (Sure didn't end on a high note.)

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cool I visited dc around then. Was just a kid at the time. Definitely shocking.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats up all. What have I missed?

Just a few things I figured I would chime in on.
Everything I have heard is basically saying Hanrahan is not looking good.

I actually have a positive outlook for the bullpen due to the depth we will have at AAA this year. My only concern is not having the flexibility to send someone down because basically everyone on the team has no options left. So if we have a run of overuse... how do we call up fresh arms? Even our position players are mostly out of options.

My keys to the season.... Gose hitting better than .260 and getting on base. Miggy and Vmart health. Verlander not trying to be an ace but just an innings eater. Development of either Greene, Lobstein, Farmer, or Ryan as the 4/5 starter.

All the other stuff will fall into place. In the end... I think this season's success will be based on the team having better defense, and hopefully good on base percentage on the top of the order. If the they can get on base the Tigers 3,4,5,6 will be one of the best as driving in runs in the MLB.

K

kengel6

I'm hoping that a committee of new starters can get the 33 wins that we lost with Max and Ricky leaving.
The rest will take care of itself.