• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denver Broncos realease Joe Mays?

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Irving time to step up. LB's looking thin with Miller's suspension possibly four 4 games.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Irving time to step up. LB's looking thin with Miller's suspension possibly four 4 games.

Looking at the roster even after finding out that Miller was going to be suspended it looked like there was no place for Mays. The Broncos already have 3 MLB's, 2 WLB's, and Phillips at the SLB spot and a couple of young guns that have some potential. Irving though definitely needs to show something this year.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of f'in everything f'in holy... come on Giants bring him in for a look

Last edited by a moderator:

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irving unproven, Miller suspended, and Phillips up there in age. Id say there thin accross the board at LB. Young guns and potential is just what it is potential.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The move also adds about $3 MM in free space to the cap too. Denver now has about $13.8 MM in cap space not including what Sylvester Williams is expected to make.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me I never was a Joe Mays fan and saving money is never a bad thing but they are really counting on alot of young guys.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me I never was a Joe Mays fan and saving money is never a bad thing but they are really counting on alot of young guys.
Perhaps they are more confident the young guys can get the job done. The bar wasn't overly high to begin with. The Steelers do this rather often, and for the most part enjoy consistent LB success.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd timing all things considered, but I won't miss Mays doing 360's while TE's blow past him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I do agree they are asking a lot from the rookies. I will say though they do have a lot of multi dimensional young guys. A great example is Irving can play both SLB and MLB. Trevathon can play WLB and MLB if needed. Bradley the veteran can play both MLB and SLB. The coaching staff has done a good job of getting athletic guys that can step into multiple spots and have success.

My guess is the Joe Mays decision boils down to the financial side of things though. At a reasonable price my guess is the Broncos would have kept him but hard to have him as I think one of your top 10 paid players to just sit on the bench and play special teams. Throw in the contracts the Broncos will need to sign after this season and it makes sense to save not only for now but for later and give these young guys a chance to step up. The Broncos at least have some veteran guys like Woodyard and Bradley that can work with the young guys plus Del Rio is known for his coaching of Young Linebackers. If nothing else say there is an injury early on in camp Mays can still be brought back if he isn't signed right away.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are counting on young guys that are versatile and fit the scheme better than Mays, what is your point? Mays is almost a prototypical ILB for a 3-4. He can attack gaps and rush the passer in a straight line fairly well and drop back into zone coverage and sit in a spot. He however cannot cover anyone one on one on in the NFL, his sideline to sideline speed and ability to change directions are also sub par. Nor does he seem to have the ability to make adjustments or to call audibles in a pinch (some people just can not think that quickly on there feet).

This also assumes that we were going to be in "base" formation for a good portion of the time, which if last year was an indication, will not happen. The Broncos were in a Nickel formation for 65% of the snaps last year. Too many teams are running 21 and 11 personnel offensive formations. Having a 3rd LB on the field during that time is a detriment when either a 3rd CB or safety (which is more of a strength of the team over the LB's) accomplishes the job better.

I knew this move was going to happen months ago, it was just a matter of time and the Miller situation changed none of that since Joe Mays cannot fill Miller's spot as SLB in a 4-3 or OLB for a 3-4 or DE in Nickel (all formations the Broncos will likely use this year along with the 4-4, Dime, 5-2, and Psycho). Mays was going to be a $4 M dollar a year backup and ST's player whether the Miller suspension happens or not.

Now they have room to go after someone that can fill some of Miller's shoes (John Abraham). Also, they can bring in a vet min player who can fill in for when they need a 4-3 MLB (Keith Brookings) who will not count as $4m towards the cap.

One last note, the cap space free I am fairly sure is closer to around $11 to 11.5 M than over $13 M, but I have not gone to look to verify.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are counting on young guys that are versatile and fit the scheme better than Mays, what is your point? Mays is almost a prototypical ILB for a 3-4. He can attack gaps and rush the passer in a straight line fairly well and drop back into zone coverage and sit in a spot. He however cannot cover anyone one on one on in the NFL, his sideline to sideline speed and ability to change directions are also sub par. Nor does he seem to have the ability to make adjustments or to call audibles in a pinch (some people just can not think that quickly on there feet).

This also assumes that we were going to be in "base" formation for a good portion of the time, which if last year was an indication, will not happen. The Broncos were in a Nickel formation for 65% of the snaps last year. Too many teams are running 21 and 11 personnel offensive formations. Having a 3rd LB on the field during that time is a detriment when either a 3rd CB or safety (which is more of a strength of the team over the LB's) accomplishes the job better.

I knew this move was going to happen months ago, it was just a matter of time and the Miller situation changed none of that since Joe Mays cannot fill Miller's spot as SLB in a 4-3 or OLB for a 3-4 or DE in Nickel (all formations the Broncos will likely use this year along with the 4-4, Dime, 5-2, and Psycho). Mays was going to be a $4 M dollar a year backup and ST's player whether the Miller suspension happens or not.

Now they have room to go after someone that can fill some of Miller's shoes (John Abraham). Also, they can bring in a vet min player who can fill in for when they need a 4-3 MLB (Keith Brookings) who will not count as $4m towards the cap.

One last note, the cap space free I am fairly sure is closer to around $11 to 11.5 M than over $13 M, but I have not gone to look to verify.

I think you are right on the Cap Space. The Clady signing gave us a little less room as the FO front loaded some of the contract to make room over the next couple of years for all the signings the Broncos need to make. To be honest I would rather not see the Broncos go out and get another Vet. Woodyard has expressed that he would like to get a long term contract this season and with so many others coming up soon I would either sign one of the players already on the roster to an extension or save the money to roll over to next off season when they will need the help with Cap Space. Abraham would be nice but he is still looking for that $7-8 million contract and I just can't see the Broncos even thinking about doing something like that.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where I got my cap space figures:

Denver Broncos - 2013 Salary Cap Breakdown

They already accounted for the changes due to the Mays transaction. Again, this is before signing Sylvester Williams (which I believe is still being worked out).

Got mine from here: Broncos release Joe Mays - It's All Over, Fat Man!. I also use Sportac too, will message Doug and see which is the goof up, but then again, it could be details over the interpretation of the Clady contract causing the disparity.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a pass happy league, I am not overly concerned with dumping a MLB that has trouble covering his own shadow.....lol

Plus, as was previously pointed out, the cap space it creates is not a bad thing.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right on the Cap Space. The Clady signing gave us a little less room as the FO front loaded some of the contract to make room over the next couple of years for all the signings the Broncos need to make. To be honest I would rather not see the Broncos go out and get another Vet. Woodyard has expressed that he would like to get a long term contract this season and with so many others coming up soon I would either sign one of the players already on the roster to an extension or save the money to roll over to next off season when they will need the help with Cap Space. Abraham would be nice but he is still looking for that $7-8 million contract and I just can't see the Broncos even thinking about doing something like that.

I would agree on the Abraham thing if I was sure if you could roll over the roll over money next year. If you can, then that money needs to be saved for future contracts. If it does not roll over, then there is no harm in bringing in John Abraham at the above stated $7-8 M and which then I would not be opposed to bringing him in on a one year contract. Unfortunately I do not possess the time or willpower to search through the CBA to figure that out or not (though I have asked a couple of people smarter in that sort of thing, but have not got a response yet).

jasonhart2217

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta Release Players to Pay Manning

Manning really showing how much of a TEAM player he is huh? Way to be a team player and defer some of that overpaid $20million per salary that isn't justified. I mean come on. The guy hasn't won a playoff game in three seasons, he's eating up salary and forcing Elway to cut players just so they can pay him the big bucks to be one and done in the postseason. Manning came to Denver for one reason; to get Paid. :lol:

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So jasonhart, you trolled the ESPN Bronco boards and now you are trolling this board?

Sad and pathetic.