• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Day 1 Thoughts

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round pick for Andrej Meszaros (4mil)
I really like this move. Aside from homer's blatant dislike of 2nd round picks and the draft itself, i think mez will be a good player. if you think about it, he's basically carle all over again except he's got size. great rookie season, slumped a bit, then came to the flyers, for a 2nd round pick* (and hopefully rebounds).. good puck mover and shooter, also a big body.. from a pure skill set standpoint, i love the move

Leighton (1.55)
I know this was a day or 2 before, but it had a big impact on today. I really think the flyers over-estimated what the goalies were going to get on the market. especially nitty, biron, mason, and ellis. we all did really. i really think if homer thought he could get those guys for the tiny cap-hits they got, he would've gone that way.. however, i think this means that leighton is the intended starter for the next season, unless backlund or boosh can steal the job.. i really dont see them trading for a goalie at this point, they already have 4 goalies signed (bobrovsky)

O'Donnell (1)
Really like this move too. Great big body, crease clearer (that we STILL lacked, even with pronger), and veteran guy thats won a cup.. i think this move will be extremely beneficial next season

Shelley (1.1)
Obviously perplexed just like the rest of you.. dont mind the player, he's a definite upgrade over cote who i assume is gunna get waived, but why on earth did he get 1.1 mil.. i really dont think he's worth THAT much.. but i think he'll be more disruptive than powe or asham, and you cant get much worse at fighting than cote.. like the addition, not at that price though

next few days
i really hope that gagne doesn't get traded.. i will probably lose sleep tonight knowing thats a possibility.. i know people are talking about him going to the kings, one thing that would ease my pain a little is if williams came back, always liked him as a flyer and him and gagne broke in around the same time when i was really starting to get into it.. honestly though, i hope he stays right where he is.. but i still dont think he goes for a goalie.. it'd be a cap clearing move that brought back a cheap winger or 2 and a pick/prospect.. i just pray that its hartnell instead.. even carter really (makes so much more sense)..

*i know carle actually came from trading eminger/downie, but eminger was brought in like 2 weeks prior for a 2nd round pick..

Last edited by a moderator:

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of his 2 30-goal seasons, both of which occurred during the post-lockout stat-padding years, Justin Williams has been a worthless bum. And now, he's a worthless bum making $3.5 million next year. No.

And Eminger was traded for a 1st round pick, the pick that became early-season Calder favorite and potential Norris-caliber defenseman John Carlson. Hooray!

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well we did trade umberger to get sbisa which eventually helped get us pronger. haha. we could do this all day.

anyway i agree with awaz. i do not care about the second rounder because meszaros is young. also, homer better keep that 1st rounder.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of his 2 30-goal seasons, both of which occurred during the post-lockout stat-padding years, Justin Williams has been a worthless bum. And now, he's a worthless bum making $3.5 million next year. No.

And Eminger was traded for a 1st round pick, the pick that became early-season Calder favorite and potential Norris-caliber defenseman John Carlson. Hooray!

to the 1st part.. you can take a couple years away from anyone and as a result, call them a worthless bum.. hell you can take 3 months away from someone and call them a worthless bum (leino).. he's got some skill if he can stay healthy, i'm just sayin i like the guy, not necessarily that i want him.. i thought i was pretty clear that i didnt want gags to go

who do you want more, john carlson or matt carle.. although you are all about potential so you might pick carlson.. personally i'm taking the proven top pair guy.. and i'm fairly sure duchene and jvr were the favorites early on... especially since carlson played 22 games w/ the caps this season, most of them late in the season..

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 1 thoughts? Great
Game 1 thoughts? I dont know. I am confident Leighton can play like last year. If he can play in 2009/10 form we will be in great shape. Not to mention that if Leighton turns out alright I'll like the Shelly signing. I dont know to much about him though I mainly dont like the signing because that money could have went to Ellis.

Time will tell.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he said one of the.....

i could name defenses better than theirs.

philadelphia
detroit
chicago
vancouver

they might be in the 5th spot. maybe.

think of it this way. their top 2 defensemen are martin and michalek. they would be our 3rd and 4th best defensemen. michalek might be our 5th. the only thing they did was replace gonchar with a similar player and add michalek. so they upgraded slightly. the flyers added to an already awsome defense without losing anybody.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not really that impressed with Martin and I dont believe he will come close to replacing Gonchar's offense.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really that impressed with Martin and I dont believe he will come close to replacing Gonchar's offense.

Martin is good but half the man of Pronger...and I mean that literally...haha! Let the pens believe they have the best D they spent a fortune and still have no wingers for crosby and malkin....Philly just needs to snap those guys in half next year and break that friggen hex.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta remember burnside graduated from getting on his knees for the pens, to taking it in the ass.. he might be the biggest pens slob out there

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta remember burnside graduated from getting on his knees for the pens, to taking it in the ass.. he might be the biggest pens slob out there

Yep its comical he's a sick fuck...but boy did he have to eat bettmans penis after all those gloom and doom comments about the Flyers...haha! Good night!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin is good but half the man of Pronger...and I mean that literally...haha! Let the pens believe they have the best D they spent a fortune and still have no wingers for crosby and malkin....Philly just needs to snap those guys in half next year and break that friggen hex.

It's true. They lost Gonchar, who quarterbacked their power play and was their second highest scorer this past postseason, and replaced him with two players who have never put up big numbers offensively. They shouldn't come near the offense we'll get from our blue line with Pronger, Timonen, Carle and Meszaros, plus I expect to be just as strong defensively if not more so.

How can one say that the Pens have possibly the best defense in the Nhl when they only have five defensemen signed and their top two are brand new to the franchise, one coming off a season in which he only played 22 games?

You're right about the wingers too. They at least had Guerin, Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky at the end of last season. That will not be the case this time around unless they get several hometown discounts or find some lost cap space.

We improved our defense greatly too, but we did it without altering our group of forwards. I'm very encouraged so far because our third defensive pairing was by far our weakest link in the playoffs and yet we still got to within two wins of a Cup. Well, what does Homer do? He eliminates that weakness entirely on day one. I like our chances. :)

Last edited by a moderator: