• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Boren would like to end The Longhorn Network

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably a broken record at this point but the longhorn network was the only thing stopping the pac 12 big 12 merger few years ago.

The LHN did not exist at that point.
The merger was slowed because UC-Berkeley did not want Baylor....and A&M did not want to go West.

It might have still happened as there was no cash in the Big 12 at the time.
Then at the last minute the Big 12 got an insane truly unexpected pay increase.

It was a Deus ex machina moment that came out of nowhere raining cash unexpectedly.
Likely,The networks got terrified of the pure chaos and GROSSLY OVERPAID the Big 12 teams.

At that point, it didn't make any sense because every single team in the Big 12 was getting paid a ton of cash.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably a broken record at this point but the longhorn network was the only thing stopping the pac 12 big 12 merger few years ago. Would have been a super conference. Now nobody watches the longhorn network and nobody can get the pac network. My what could have been.

Funny thing is that deal can still probably happen. I think it would he just amazing. The fight over how the conference is divided would provide enough entertainment to do it alone. Throw in Annual games like USC vsTExas/OU and it is such a winner. Only down side I see is Jerry getting involved and a lot of UCLA/USC/Oregon vs Texas/Oklahoma teams in Jerry World

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably a broken record at this point but the longhorn network was the only thing stopping the pac 12 big 12 merger few years ago. Would have been a super conference. Now nobody watches the longhorn network and nobody can get the pac network. My what could have been.

Not true, the LHN wasn't even around then. What stopped the merger was the entire big 12 south wanted to all go together, to keep rivalries and travel partners in tact (Tx, tech, a&m, ou, osu, BU) but the pac 12 didn't want Baylor due to religion, instead wanted 5 big 12 south schools and colorado. Pac called their bluff, took colorado right away, and the rest is history.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true, the LHN wasn't even around then. What stopped the merger was the entire big 12 south wanted to all go together, to keep rivalries and travel partners in tact (Tx, tech, a&m, ou, osu, BU) but the pac 12 didn't want Baylor due to religion, instead wanted 5 big 12 south schools and colorado. Pac called their bluff, took colorado right away, and the rest is history.

That and A&M was lukewarm to the idea too. They had eyes for the SEC from the get-go

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVA isn't leaving the ACC anytime soon, especially with the ACC having the GoR in place until the mid 2020's. If they would've ever left, it probably would've been around the time when a lot of people were predicting the destruction of the ACC when Maryland left for the B1G.

"True love waits" lol... Virginia is the only school I would want in the B1G since they are an elite academic institution in a great region. I would have said UConn but they are not an elite academic institution.

Automatic bullshit rating here.

Why? I would prefer 6, with the P5 Champs getting an auto bid, but too many people want to go straight to 8 so if it expands that's likely it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? I would prefer 6, with the P5 Champs getting an auto bid, but too many people want to go straight to 8 so if it expands that's likely it.

Too many reasons to list, but here are some highlights:

If your Champion can't make it in with 6 spots, then there is probably a good reason for it. If a team deserves a spot, they will get it.

4 is perfect because it leaves a P5 conference out, which means strength of schedule still matters. Giving autobids or more spots removes all reason for any team to schedule tough. It would be more beneficial to be in the worst conference possible and do what Iowa did than it would be to play in a tough conference.

And even then you are just going to end up with rematches. In reality the playoff is the entire season and especially so with conference championships.

Basically, you will ruin college football and everything that makes it special when in the entire history of the sport there hasn't been more than 3 teams that really had a legitimate claim at the #1 spot. 4 teams is perfect, it accounts for all of history with a little cushion on top.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia is the only school I would want in the B1G since they are an elite academic institution in a great region. I would have said UConn but they are not an elite academic institution.
Give me a fucking break, it isn't about academics anymore...it's about money. Pull your head out of your ass and wise up to the facts. Fact is the difference between academics of most schools is very small these days or most of these schools wouldn't even exist.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sooner we go to a four 16 team super conferences the better.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many reasons to list, but here are some highlights:

If your Champion can't make it in with 6 spots, then there is probably a good reason for it. If a team deserves a spot, they will get it.

Fair enough. My preference is 6, so I'll argue for it.

Ideally, all P5s would have a CCG which would be a de facto playoff game. Win and you’re in. People don't like 6 because two schools would get a bye week, but those can be awarded to the teams with the best SOS.

4 is perfect because it leaves a P5 conference out, which means strength of schedule still matters. Giving autobids or more spots removes all reason for any team to schedule tough. It would be more beneficial to be in the worst conference possible and do what Iowa did than it would be to play in a tough conference

And even then you are just going to end up with rematches. In reality the playoff is the entire season and especially so with conference championships.

Basically, you will ruin college football and everything that makes it special.

Does it though? Since teams start out ranked that inflates SOS. Oregon considered a really good team until they actually started playing, as were LSU and FSU. Hell OSU was ranked #1 for the longest time despite them not playing like a top 5 team until the Michigan game.

If I know that winning the CCG makes me eligible, then I have incentive to schedule a harder OOC because SOS can play into who gets the bye week. If they could do it over I doubt Stanford plays Northwestern to open the season when they could blowout UNLV and have better case to make the playoffs. They already play Notre Dame so why bother with another quality OOC opponent?

Regarding Iowa... the B1G CCG took care of that; furthermore, had they beaten Sparty they would have be playoff worthy. The most worthy? No, but 13-0 from a major conference is definitely worthy. I understand your rationale, you don't want teams like 2012 B1G champion Wisconsin (8-5) to make it to the playoffs, but I can stomach that if it means that teams like Stanford, who were penalized for losing to a good (but offensively challenged) Northwestern team week 1, get into the playoffs. Obviously Iowa shouldn’t have been in the top 6 after the CCG considering their SOS.

Sorry for the late response I was trying to avoid writing you a dissertation as a rebuttal

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ya and look at what they got in CU. Hell, they don't even field a baseball team....

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a fucking break, it isn't about academics anymore...it's about money. Pull your head out of your ass and wise up to the facts. Fact is the difference between academics of most schools is very small these days or most of these schools wouldn't even exist.

You act like academics and money are mutually exclusive when they are not.

Athletics = $100s of millions, and academics can equal billions. If you think the academic difference between the University of Washington and either Arizona school is small, then you're showing how ignorant you truly are. Why do you think Boren prefers the PAC12 to the SEC despite the fact that it makes more sense for athletics? Because he's the president of the University of Oklahoma, not of Oklahoma Athletic Club.

Just because you don't no shit about the $$$ in academia, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Try looking at these schools as universities and not as the local football team.

Never mind, it's a sports forum. I shouldn't talk about the academic aspects of universities with people who have zero investment on that side of the equation.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmmm...Tin Man

Not sure you should have gone there dude.
Nah, you've just got to understand Tinnie. He's not anti Texas or any school. Well, he does like to rag the Bammers.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have said UConn but they are not an elite academic institution.

Connecticut is not that bad academically these day.
I admit I was surprised to see them so highly ranked as well, but they seem to have made considerable strides.

At #57, they are ranked higher than many of the existing Big 10 schools.
The Big 10 really makes a big deal about academics. That is their thing and UConn fits in nicely ratings-wise.

UCONN has really made some progress.
They seemingly have become an academic school overnight from left field.

They are not an AAU school....but then again neither is Nebraska who is much much lower ranked.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"True love waits" lol... Virginia is the only school I would want in the B1G since they are an elite academic institution in a great region. I would have said UConn but they are not an elite academic institution.

Dude you really have no clue what you're talking about. ACC has a ton of extremely high academic schools in major markets:

North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Duke - Don't even pretend the B1G wouldn't want their basketball
Wake Forest
Clemson is on the rise big time in academic reputation

The B1G would bust a nut to get GT or UNC.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude you really have no clue what you're talking about. ACC has a ton of extremely high academic schools in major markets:

The ACC probably has a better academic reputation overall than the Big 10.

They just don't advertise it nonstop.

And, they occasionally will make an exception for a school like FLorida State or Louisville because they are not married to the academics only.