• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dabo not giving ring to Bryant

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Awards for winning a conference or national championship in a team sport may only be provided to student-athletes who were eligible to participate in the championship event"

Seems the NCAA has the last word on this one haters.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do what?

You mean the QB who lead them to 10 wins last year?

The QB with 10 more percentage points in completion percentage over the second stringer?

The QB with an 18:9 TD to INT percentage compared to the 4:3 ratio from the second stringer?

The QB with a QB rating of 137 compared to the second stringer's 109.5?

Is that the "less talented" QB you are referring to?

You could’ve picked a lot of games. Cuse is a weird one to pick for your point.

DeVito is gonna light people up this year.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Awards for winning a conference or national championship in a team sport may only be provided to student-athletes who were eligible to participate in the championship event"

Seems the NCAA has the last word on this one haters.
Kelly Bryant doesn’t deserve a ring. Plain and simple. And I don’t understand how this is even a discussion. He quit on the team. Even tho I understand why and I hope he kicks ass, decisions have consequences.

With that said, I don’t think that rule is actually ever followed. Pretty sure I remember Dexter Lawrence getting a ring. And those rings cost more that $415.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not reading any of thread but how exactly is there 4 pages worth of discussion here. Bryant left the team, why would he get one?

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tired of people saying Bryant "quit" on Clemson.....Dabo specifically named Trevor the starter after 4 games, so that he could transfer. Coaches transfer teams all the time. Bryant wants a chance at the NFL, so he wanted a chance to prove it on a different team instead of sitting on bench at Clemson.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant doesn't care about the ring anyway....so not sure why people think this is a deal

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tired of people saying Bryant "quit" on Clemson.....Dabo specifically named Trevor the starter after 4 games, so that he could transfer. Coaches transfer teams all the time. Bryant wants a chance at the NFL, so he wanted a chance to prove it on a different team instead of sitting on bench at Clemson.

Bryant did quit on the team. Lawrence was named the starter for the Syracuse game, not the full time starter. Lawrence had earned the opportunity with his performance in the GT game, a game where the offense was sputtering because of Bryant's limitations in the passing game.

As was already stated Bryant was offered the opportunity to remain with the team and redshirt, but he chose to leave the team.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems unnecessary and kind of petty. I tend to hate the "screw that guy" mentality when a player leaves because they live in a world where they're all just trying to compete for playing time to get to the next level.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that is left is for Bryant-led Mizzou to lose to Tennessee and his CFB career will be complete.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, Dabo named Trevor the starter after 4 games, so that Bryant had time to redshirt if he wanted and preserve his eligibility. He still could have played for Missouri this year had he remained on the team and acted in a leadership role (similar to Jalen). He could have helped the team in that regard. It also would have been far better for him, as he would have benefitted from team workouts and some of the best QB coaching out there. Had he done that, most Clemson fans would have really liked him and he would have earned a ring, even though he didn't play.

Instead, after learning he had lost the starting job, he skipped practice and despite promising to return to practice on Tuesday, skipped it too and said he was not just going to redshirt and not play, but that he was going to transfer. He then talked about how he had been disrespected by the coaches by being benched, how it was a slap in the face, and that he hadn't been given a fair shot. He not only completely abandoned the team, he did it in a way that caused discord in the locker room and made it even harder on a true freshman who had to lead the team alone without QB guidance.

Now, I never made it a secret, even in 2017, that I didn't like Bryant. I never saw what the media saw in him. He was crazy fast, but a terrible passer who collapsed under pressure every single time. I knew that he would be unable to compete against the elite teams, and sure enough, he basically single-handedly lost the Bama game. That's why I supported Hunter Johnson (who I view as more talented and a better leader) from the second or third game of the season. But I would have strongly respected Bryant if he handled his departure from Clemson the same way Jalen Hurts did. But he didn't. And he does not deserve a championship ring.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Dabo named Trevor the starter after 4 games, so that Bryant had time to redshirt if he wanted and preserve his eligibility. He still could have played for Missouri this year had he remained on the team and acted in a leadership role (similar to Jalen). He could have helped the team in that regard. It also would have been far better for him, as he would have benefitted from team workouts and some of the best QB coaching out there. Had he done that, most Clemson fans would have really liked him and he would have earned a ring, even though he didn't play.

Instead, after learning he had lost the starting job, he skipped practice and despite promising to return to practice on Tuesday, skipped it too and said he was not just going to redshirt and not play, but that he was going to transfer. He then talked about how he had been disrespected by the coaches by being benched, how it was a slap in the face, and that he hadn't been given a fair shot. He not only completely abandoned the team, he did it in a way that caused discord in the locker room and made it even harder on a true freshman who had to lead the team alone without QB guidance.

Now, I never made it a secret, even in 2017, that I didn't like Bryant. I never saw what the media saw in him. He was crazy fast, but a terrible passer who collapsed under pressure every single time. I knew that he would be unable to compete against the elite teams, and sure enough, he basically single-handedly lost the Bama game. That's why I supported Hunter Johnson (who I view as more talented and a better leader) from the second or third game of the season. But I would have strongly respected Bryant if he handled his departure from Clemson the same way Jalen Hurts did. But he didn't. And he does not deserve a championship ring.
You do know that Hurts played in most of the games last year and burned a year of eligibility for no reason, right?

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that Hurts played in most of the games last year and burned a year of eligibility for no reason, right?

Hence why I said similar to Jalen, not same as Jalen. Jalen didn't use a redshirt. Bryant could have and still could have been a leader on the team.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hence why I said similar to Jalen, not same as Jalen. Jalen didn't use a redshirt. Bryant could have and still could have been a leader on the team.
So in your opinion, Bryant should have burned a year of eligibility and give himself one less year to try and prove himself for the NFL so that maybe he could be a leader of the team. You are just assuming that the players were still viewing him as a leader of the team after the coaches told him to go sit the bench.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your opinion, Bryant should have burned a year of eligibility and give himself one less year to try and prove himself for the NFL so that maybe he could be a leader of the team. You are just assuming that the players were still viewing him as a leader of the team after the coaches told him to go sit the bench.

I don't know why your reading comprehension is so poor, since I've now said it twice. Bryant could have and should have taken a redshirt. He would not have been allowed to play any more that season, since he played in four games. However, he could have still gone to practices (which would have benefitted him and the team). He could even go to the games and pump up the team from the sidelines. He would not have burned a year of eligibility at all. Literally, staying with the team and keeping a redshirt was better for the team and himself. And if Lawrence had gone down for the season, he could have chosen to burn his redshirt and lead the team. Leading Clemson to a national title (which he claimed he could do), would have looked far more impressive to NFL scouts than a season at Mizzou. There were no drawbacks to him taking a redshirt and leading the team from the sidelines. But he had sour grapes so left in a manner that could have cost Clemson the Syracuse game.

No, I'm not assuming that. First of all, that's incredibly shortsighted to think only starters can be team leaders. That is entirely false. And I know a handful of Clemson players and they told me it was a blow to team morale and that he was a team leader. I also don't think you'll find many Bama fans saying Jalen wasn't in a leadership role last year, despite the fact that he was second string.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad everyone is finally starting to hate dabo...took long enough

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why your reading comprehension is so poor, since I've now said it twice. Bryant could have and should have taken a redshirt. He would not have been allowed to play any more that season, since he played in four games. However, he could have still gone to practices (which would have benefitted him and the team). He could even go to the games and pump up the team from the sidelines. He would not have burned a year of eligibility at all. Literally, staying with the team and keeping a redshirt was better for the team and himself. And if Lawrence had gone down for the season, he could have chosen to burn his redshirt and lead the team. Leading Clemson to a national title (which he claimed he could do), would have looked far more impressive to NFL scouts than a season at Mizzou. There were no drawbacks to him taking a redshirt and leading the team from the sidelines. But he had sour grapes so left in a manner that could have cost Clemson the Syracuse game.

No, I'm not assuming that. First of all, that's incredibly shortsighted to think only starters can be team leaders. That is entirely false. And I know a handful of Clemson players and they told me it was a blow to team morale and that he was a team leader. I also don't think you'll find many Bama fans saying Jalen wasn't in a leadership role last year, despite the fact that he was second string.
Where did I say that leaders have to be first string? It’s incredibly stupid of you to think every one is going to look at him exactly the same.

It is amazing how nearly every fan on this board is best friends with coaches and know the half the team.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say that leaders have to be first string? It’s incredibly stupid of you to think every one is going to look at him exactly the same.

It is amazing how nearly every fan on this board is best friends with coaches and know the half the team.

I like how you're changing the subject to cover up the fact that you misread my first post about him redshirting. And I don't know any of the coaches. But I didn't graduate that long ago, worked as a tutor to many athletes, and am still very close with some professors who teach a lot of athletes. So I know a handful of them. Not sure why it's surprising that an alum would know some of the players. They're not kept in a bubble.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how you're changing the subject to cover up the fact that you misread my first post about him redshirting. And I don't know any of the coaches. But I didn't graduate that long ago, worked as a tutor to many athletes, and am still very close with some professors who teach a lot of athletes. So I know a handful of them. Not sure why it's surprising that an alum would know some of the players. They're not kept in a bubble.
You are assuming he wouldn’t have played in any other game in garbage time. You keep making bold assumptions.