• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cy's Draft Recap Quick Hits

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver Bronco (too soon) 2016 draft grades.
Denver: A-
Could be Elway's best draft so far... all depends on how Lynch turns out though. Could look like a genius... or a fool (depending on Lynch vs Oswiler). Added depth and really should help us transition into the Kubiak offense this year (ground and pound baby!)
Round by round
1. Lynch: A
Got our number 2 QB at 26? Cheap 5 year contract for the most expensive position in the league? I will take it. Lynch is a perfect fit for our offense given his strength, athleticism, and arm strength. Still raw and probably needs time to develop, but could become the face of the franchise sooner than later
2. Gotsis: B-
This grade is more reflective on the spot we took him rather than Gotsis the player. The more I read and watch, the better I like him. I think if not for the ACL, he might not have made it to 63. Length, strength, motor, and athleticism. Before his injury, PFF had him as one of the best interior pass rushers in the draft based on his production. Also, from tape analysis, played 5 tech and nose tackle a lot. Much more dominant against tackles at 5 tech (where we will use him) compared to nose. If Kollar can get this kid right, he may end up a steal. The more tape I watch, the more I like (might do a writeup on the kid just because DLine is by far my favorite).
3. Simmons: A
Almost gave it an A+. Leader, great athlete, length. Hard not to like this kid. Only thing keeping him from being a first round pick is straight line speed (overrated) and bit hit mentality. We are going to love this kid. Should come in and play some Bruton role year 1, but also could come in and play FS or SS with Ward being moved to the box on sub packages and filling in for the Trevathan role (something Elway/Wade have touched on).
4. Booker: A+
My 2nd favorite running back in the entire draft (after elliot, before dixon, before henry). Booker very well may end up starting before the year is done. Will have to fix his fumbling issues, but a perfect ZBS back given his vision, balance, agility, and patience. Compares to Arian Foster/Doug Martin in my opinion. Also pass blocking and receiving ability already very good. Should make an immediate impact and, depending on CJ's health, a dark horse for OROY, IMO.
5. McGovern: A-
One of my favorite guard prospects. Very strong and multi-position versatility. I think he may win out at guard this year. If not, adding talent to the offensive line is never a bad thing. Weight-room hero and good speed/agility although a little stiff in the hips with some mechanical shortcomings. I like him more the Garcia year 1.
6. Janovich: C
i hope Jano dominates this year, I really do. Also the special teams ability intrigues me. Has shown some nastiness and leadership, I come from the frame of thought that FB is a dying position that, if needed, can be added cheaply via FA or UDFA. I wouldn't use a pick on FB.
6. Parks: B
PFF called this pick a steal. Parks has versatility to play slot, in box, or over top. Also can deliver some big hits. I am excited about his special team potential that could develop into something more. Zona played an odd defense (3-3-5) and Parks played a lot of box safety, but future work at corner in slot gives Wade another toy in the secondary. The angles he takes in the run game are better than many in the NFL and has decent instincts despite not checking every athletic box.
7. Riley: C-
Again, not an indictment on the player, but instead drafting the position. I get we are looking to cut Colquitt maybe... but punter is not a valuable enough position to burn a draft pick on, even if its a 7th. With some good players at positions of value still on the board (WR/MLB/CB), I think I would have gone elsewhere. If Riley helps us land Von a long term deal though, might not end up being the worst pick value-wise.
There you have it folks.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good work Doc.

Seems like Elway really likes to use a late pick on a special teams standout lately. Last year he did it with Josh Furman, who didn't sniff the roster.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver made ST an emphasis this year in the draft. Elway said that he was taking the player on their board instead of trying to get cute and trade back or hope to get the player as a CFA.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with the Janovich and Dixon picks really. Then again I can see the good in any pick. Not gonna lie I was pissed we passed on what I believe to be good WR's in Lawler and Addison, then we signed Addison anyway which is like an extra draft pick in my eyes. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great analysis Doc! Found myself completely agreeing with the entire thing (which could be scary). Please do a write up on Gotsis. He really is the unknown in all of this. I find myself going back and forth on this pick. So far I have only watched 3 of his games. Obviously we have the 2 that draftbreakdown has given us and if you really want you can watch the Notre Dame game as well just by watching Notre Dame players on offense and finding him on the tape. Not the easiest thing to do but hey gives you another game to watch.

In all 3 games he definitely stood out at different moments. You also saw the major respect that other teams paid to him by him being doubled on probably 60-70% of the plays. He really didn't have a ton around him on the defensive side of the ball and honestly I do think his pass rush skills are underrated because the Secondary gave up pressure so quickly and like I said with him being doubled so often. He is going to love Denver where he gets a ton of one-on-one opportunities with so many other guys taking attention.

The other part of this that is hard for me is the injury. I know Elway has said he expects him fully ready by August but not everybody is Chris Harris in being able to come back and be ready to play at such a high level so quickly. So I worry that his first year is going to be a red shirt season and for a guy that is already such a raw prospect missing an entire season just would be hard to hear. At the same time I don't want to see them rush him back. I think we saw that happen with Quanterus Smith where he tried to get back on the field way too quickly and it ended up tearing up his knee more. Man I thought that kid would be special for us.

So again torn on this guy and would love to get a full write up from another person on what they see in this kid. I'm cautiously optimistic the more I read and watch though.

RDog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great breakdown.

I agree with your grades. When Denver took Janovich I was thinking a grade of "D" or lower. After reading about his special teams play, I changed my mind. Based on that alone he deserves an "A". With Bruton gone he fills a major need. As a blocking fullback, it doesn't sound like he was at the top of the fullbacks available, and gets a "C". But Janovich can run the ball, and is a good receiver. His versatility, leadership, and toughness make him a great fit for Kubiak's offense. He could be a fan favorite for years to come.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - I think the grades are about right really.

I was glad you didn't overgrade Gostis. He has the potential to be a terrific player, but B- is about what I would give the actual pick for now, with a lot of potential to grade out a lot higher in a few years.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - I think the grades are about right really.

I was glad you didn't overgrade Gostis. He has the potential to be a terrific player, but B- is about what I would give the actual pick for now, with a lot of potential to grade out a lot higher in a few years.

He definitely is a guy based more on projection than that of production. Not usually a big fan of using high round picks on such a player. So yeah I agree that while it has potential to be a great pick I think he is also one of the biggest risks to be a big time bust.

Also keep hearing his game compared to that of Wolfe. Really for the Broncos Wolfe only had 1 decent year his rookie year and then this last year really coming on strong. The two middle years were almost completely lost years because of injury and honestly a little bit of scheme fit.

It really is amazing looking back at the type of players Elway loved for the DL compared to the type of scheme we actually ran. Elway did go after guys with a great first step that could disrupt in the backfield. Yet then they were used more as 2-gap run stoppers. That did seem to be one of the issues with the old coaching regime is it did seem like Elway and them were on two different thought patterns of what this team should look like. Seems we now have a coaching staff that fits much better with the vision that Elway has for how our team should play.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here was my thought when Justin Simmons pick popped up on the screen.

Denver Broncos select: Justin Simmons

Me- Damnit now we are never going to get Booker.
(pause)

Me- But WTH, Simmons is still there?

Me- Nice we got Simmons, guess I have to live with not getting Booker (which I usually always expect when I like a player that much that we won't get him)

Then god answered my prayers the next morning!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was Yaway?

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here was my thought when Justin Simmons pick popped up on the screen.

Denver Broncos select: Justin Simmons

Me- Damnit now we are never going to get Booker.
(pause)

Me- But WTH, Simmons is still there?

Me- Nice we got Simmons, guess I have to live with not getting Booker (which I usually always expect when I like a player that much that we won't get him)

Then god answered my prayers the next morning!

You also thought of me. You knew I was very high on him

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. You were the first person I texted after the pick. Granted you were serving quesadillas to customers at the hyvee.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great analysis Doc! Found myself completely agreeing with the entire thing (which could be scary). Please do a write up on Gotsis. He really is the unknown in all of this. I find myself going back and forth on this pick. So far I have only watched 3 of his games. Obviously we have the 2 that draftbreakdown has given us and if you really want you can watch the Notre Dame game as well just by watching Notre Dame players on offense and finding him on the tape. Not the easiest thing to do but hey gives you another game to watch.

In all 3 games he definitely stood out at different moments. You also saw the major respect that other teams paid to him by him being doubled on probably 60-70% of the plays. He really didn't have a ton around him on the defensive side of the ball and honestly I do think his pass rush skills are underrated because the Secondary gave up pressure so quickly and like I said with him being doubled so often. He is going to love Denver where he gets a ton of one-on-one opportunities with so many other guys taking attention.

The other part of this that is hard for me is the injury. I know Elway has said he expects him fully ready by August but not everybody is Chris Harris in being able to come back and be ready to play at such a high level so quickly. So I worry that his first year is going to be a red shirt season and for a guy that is already such a raw prospect missing an entire season just would be hard to hear. At the same time I don't want to see them rush him back. I think we saw that happen with Quanterus Smith where he tried to get back on the field way too quickly and it ended up tearing up his knee more. Man I thought that kid would be special for us.

So again torn on this guy and would love to get a full write up from another person on what they see in this kid. I'm cautiously optimistic the more I read and watch though.

On Gotsis he was about the only player getting into backfield he is going to be great . He was getting push up field 80 % of the snaps petty quickly ..

RDog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a strange draft, I really liked it! Plus there seem to be some good prospects among the free agents. The one really stood out to me due to his measurables and production (at a low level) is Shaneil Jenkins. Unless he is a total head case, we could have something in a few years.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a strange draft, I really liked it! Plus there seem to be some good prospects among the free agents. The one really stood out to me due to his measurables and production (at a low level) is Shaneil Jenkins. Unless he is a total head case, we could have something in a few years.

Another year of hope ginned up for the Buffs.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3