• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cornerback

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time we come to realize that this is now a real problem. Breeland has been nothing short of terrible all year. The rookie we all had high hopes for did not play a defensive snap despite the struggles of Breeland and Dunbar and may not play defense for the rest of the year according to a Post article. We are now starting a guy who was at best our 5th corner, not out of merit but out of necessity as the others have been so bad.

Life in the NFL sucks with crappy corners.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still hold out hopes for Breeland. He has all the physical tools and seems to have the right personality of CB (short memory, uber confident). Not sure what has happened to him this year, but one has to question what Perry Falwell has done with him. I know one article I read quoted some coach saying that Breeland has been caught a couple times trying to help out the slot corner and got burned. I have to also believe our significant weakness at S has to come into play. He has zero help.

Maybe his future isn't as a CB, but as a FS?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Breeland's issues are correctable & certainly not the biggest issues on this team. If they had a consistent pass rush (not great but at least a threat on more than occasion) & had at least marginal safety play then I don't think that CB would be an issue. Norman would probably shine (look at his highlights w/ the Panthers when he had a much better surrounding cast) & Breeland would not be as exposed.

I would not go too nuts focusing on this area - this should not be their primary area of concern.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB and KF are young. There is no way we should worry about either, yet. We have seen what BB can do...go with that. BB knows he isn't playing well and I expect him to change that next season.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't lie, I've thought about what it would be like to draft a corner in the 1st this year and dump Breeland in the slot. He's physical and I think he could excel there. I'm just not ready to go there yet. I too am some what confident he will bounce back. I've seen him have too many really good games to consider corner a top priority.

With the holes we have at safety, dline, left guard, I think it would be smart to let this Breeland thing play out a little longer and maybe address that in 18 if he's still struggling. Can't fix everything in one off-season.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we can't fix everything and we still have Fuller. It's just strange as we all went into the season thinking corner was one of our strongest positions when the truth is we have only 1 that has played well.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still see corner as a huge strength. JN is an all-pro, BB has played near pro bowl ball, Fuller is a rookie who would have gone higher, and Dunbar is still learning. That is a lot of youth.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we give up on a young FA in year 2 who was a wr 2 yrs ago ? you ask me he is progressing real well

fuller , has started about 8 games for us as a 3rd round draft choice . so we give up on him in the slot ? geez i dont have 3rd rounders being able to start into year 2 with year 3 being who they are

BB has had 3 wonderful years and an so so one this year . i think we keep the kid

here is what i think , we sign a slot guy , move fuller and dunbar to the outside and put BB at FS with cravens at SS . you resign blackman keep duke and draft a couple of safeties on high maybe one late ( high being 2nd or 3rd round )

we have 9 picks which can be parlayed into more . i think we can build this up pretty darn well and maybe CB jumps up the draft board some

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you Dad and I am not giving up on anyone. I'm just pointing out that a position that was thought to be a strength has become a real problem this year. Fuller is not ready, he went from starting 8 games to not playing a snap last week so he is not showing improvement yet. Dunbar was benched in that game for his performance and has regressed from last year. And obviously Breeland, the guy we were really counting on, has been a huge disappointment.

To call that position a "huge strength" today is simply not true. It may be in the future but that's not certain. The truth is we have had only one corner on this entire roster who has played well this year.

Last edited:

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lesson learned by me was the fact I wanted Amerson gone when he was in DC but he's playing well in Oakland now so I'm not making that mistake again with Breeland.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lesson learned by me was the fact I wanted Amerson gone when he was in DC but he's playing well in Oakland now so I'm not making that mistake again with Breeland.
Same here. I called for Amerson's release too.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second year players generally, have off seasons. The third year tells us much more about their longevity. I didn't want to give up on Amerson, it was too soon!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second year players generally, have off seasons. The third year tells us much more about their longevity. I didn't want to give up on Amerson, it was too soon!

Yea, but some people gave up on him the moment he was drafted.

IM just sayin'

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gave up on Amerson the moment he was drafted? I wasn't around then but I find it hard to believe. I'm not giving up on Breeland either, just pointing out the obvious that corner has gone from a perceived strength to a real problem outside of Norman. But if we know by his third year what he is, well this is his third year. Glad he is signed through next year so they don't need to make a decision this offseason because I'm telling you that would be a hard call. We really need Fuller to develop and sorry, not taking a snap after the guy in front of him got benched is concerning.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you get other parts of the defense around him fixed and all the sudden Breeland becomes a much better CB. We've seen him play at a higher level, so we know he can. Its just a matter of figuring out how he plays best. IMO, he is much better attacking the WR at the LOS and riding him the whole way instead of the soft zone Barry has been deploying with him of late.

Of course, now the rumors are that he is going to be tried at S next year. Not sure why they waiting until his 4th year (and final of his contract) to make this move. Its not like we have had rock stars at S.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you get other parts of the defense around him fixed and all the sudden Breeland becomes a much better CB. We've seen him play at a higher level, so we know he can. Its just a matter of figuring out how he plays best. IMO, he is much better attacking the WR at the LOS and riding him the whole way instead of the soft zone Barry has been deploying with him of late.

Of course, now the rumors are that he is going to be tried at S next year. Not sure why they waiting until his 4th year (and final of his contract) to make this move. Its not like we have had rock stars at S.

Agree & as I previously mentioned you don't have to fix everything rt away. Improvements in 2 or 3 positions could have a huge impact on this defense and players like Breeland & P. Smith. Again - this defense doesn't need to be great or even real good. It just needs to be slightly above average so that they don't negate whatever pts are put on the board by the offense.

Even a mediocre defense this season probably would have meant 2-3 more wins & that is all that they need to possibly make a deep run in the playoffs. Keep developing the current players & bolster the defense just a bit & it could do wonders.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lesson is don't give up on high draft picks on their rookie contracts.

Agree. However - I would also add that players need to be developed & put into situations where their skills are maximized. We have seen this with Cousins & the O line. This needs to start happening on the defensive side of the ball. I trust that they will do whatever it takes to make this work over the long term.