• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Computer problem question

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you tried the Zorin branch of Ubuntu? It is wild, Windows 7 like start button but AWN toolbar so it's also slightly MAC OS like in some way.

Yes that was the one I was gonna use but the website tells you to scroll to live 13 but I have Live 17 and Live 19 when I downloaded it.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the service tag number?

It's either on the top, side or back of the PC. Either a silver or black sticker. Has two numbers on it, the service tag and the express service code for warranty work, which doesn't do you any good as old as the PC is. The service tag is usually just 8 characters.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the service tag number?

Look near your serial number (I assume it would be on the bottom for laptop) it should be a 7 character string of numbers and capital letters. Mine is F78DJD1 on this old desktop.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wifey got the ICE virus on her Dell. That thing was a PITA! I had to come up with a lot of old tricks to get the OS open enough to run the security program before the virus froze the screen...wasted like 2 hours of my life. I figured it was from some butthurt traveler from the political forum.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you tried the Zorin branch of Ubuntu? It is wild, Windows 7 like start button but AWN toolbar so it's also slightly MAC OS like in some way.

No, I haven't even had Linux on my computer in a bit. I had a generic Ubuntu distribution for a bit and then yellow dog Linux on my ps3 until they removed the otherOS option. I'm thinking about building my own Linux essentially from scratch to use for any coding but iOS stuff, though. My Mac has slowed down a bit and I'm not sure if I can be bothered clearing out all the junk.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I haven't even had Linux on my computer in a bit. I had a generic Ubuntu distribution for a bit and then yellow dog Linux on my ps3 until they removed the otherOS option. I'm thinking about building my own Linux essentially from scratch to use for any coding but iOS stuff, though. My Mac has slowed down a bit and I'm not sure if I can be bothered clearing out all the junk.

In that case I'd stay away from any branches of Ubuntu and just go with the standard Ubuntu.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I gonna reload it?

I'm sure whatever software came with your desktop, so did the software discs associated with your puter. I have had to reload my operating system like 4 times since I bought the damn boat anchor. XP is on it's way out soon. I'd be looking into a new operating system, perhaps Windows 8 which you maybe purchase from Costco or pirated off the web.

Either way your fucked or at least your wallet is.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure whatever software came with your desktop, so did the software discs associated with your puter. I have had to reload my operating system like 4 times since I bought the damn boat anchor. XP is on it's way out soon. I'd be looking into a new operating system, perhaps Windows 8 which you maybe purchase from Costco or pirated off the web.

Either way your fucked or at least your wallet is.

Fair warning if you pirate it, you may have to do a few funky things to trick your pirated version of windows into thinking it's a purchased copy. I have a close source that would tell you that they had to go through a couple hoops for their version of Windows 7 to go from trial to permanent..

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that case I'd stay away from any branches of Ubuntu and just go with the standard Ubuntu.

No, I mean make my own flavor from the ground up. I have the needed information to do so; I just need to get around to it.

Also, all I really need to code is a text editor and a compiler for the given language. A decent IDE doesn't hurt, but isn't a necessity. The only feature I really use is the quick reference, and that can be done without.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair warning if you pirate it, you may have to do a few funky things to trick your pirated version of windows into thinking it's a purchased copy. I have a close source that would tell you that they had to go through a couple hoops for their version of Windows 7 to go from trial to permanent..

Who knows, in a couple of months when 8.1 is released maybe Microsoft will be offering it at a steep discount for XP users like they did with 8.0.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I mean make my own flavor from the ground up. I have the needed information to do so; I just need to get around to it.

Also, all I really need to code is a text editor and a compiler for the given language. A decent IDE doesn't hurt, but isn't a necessity. The only feature I really use is the quick reference, and that can be done without.

Good luck, I don't have the time, or desire, to build one from source code.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may elect not to, but I like knowing exactly what makes my shit tick.

Also, doing so would make it much more convenient to clean my computer up when I get the the point I have too much worthless clutter on there, because I'll know exactly what does what.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wifey got the ICE virus on her Dell. That thing was a PITA! I had to come up with a lot of old tricks to get the OS open enough to run the security program before the virus froze the screen...wasted like 2 hours of my life. I figured it was from some butthurt traveler from the political forum.

Funny that you would say that because the latest data collected by either Sophos or Symantec, I forget which, showed that the most compromised sites that are infecting PCs are political blog sites, religious blog sites and sites directed at children.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's either on the top, side or back of the PC. Either a silver or black sticker. Has two numbers on it, the service tag and the express service code for warranty work, which doesn't do you any good as old as the PC is. The service tag is usually just 8 characters.

I see the silver sticker but can't really read it cause the sticker is upside down and it looks like there's three numbers instead of two.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that you would say that because the latest data collected by either Sophos or Symantec, I forget which, showed that the most compromised sites that are infecting PCs are political blog sites, religious blog sites and sites directed at children.

I read something about that a while back. I figure pron sites were a big virus problem, turns our religious sites are waaay worse for getting viruses en sech. Kinda surprised me at first.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the first question is, do you have all your files backed up?