• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Computer problem question

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 2008 Desktop Dell Computer with Windows XP. Well recently when I start up windows I get a black screen that reads " Windows could not start b/c the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows \system32\config\system You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Set Up by using the Set Up CD-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair. Well the problem is the computer didn't come with any of the recovery disk." Is there anything I can do to fix this problem without a recovery disk? I'm using my laptop computer right now until I can fix the other one.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have great options. Do you have any information from where you got it, or some type of verification that you purchased the operating system? With decent verification you may be able to call Microsoft customer support for help, but they probably won't do much if you can't prove you have a right to the software.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 2008 Desktop Dell Computer with Windows XP. Well recently when I start up windows I get a black screen that reads " Windows could not start b/c the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows \system32\config\system You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Set Up by using the Set Up CD-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair. Well the problem is the computer didn't come with any of the recovery disk." Is there anything I can do to fix this problem without a recovery disk? I'm using my laptop computer right now until I can fix the other one.

There is a way to do it using Linux, Ubuntu is not that much different from Windows and the live CD of Ubuntu would allow you to replace the corrupt/missing file.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a way to do it using Linux, Ubuntu is not that much different from Windows and the live CD of Ubuntu would allow you to replace the corrupt/missing file.

I've tried Ubuntu but I don't understand it?

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a virus problem. You might try system restore.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dell has an option in BIOS start to reload XP from a hidden partition found on all Dell PCs. If you have the manual it should tell you how to do this. You'll lose all data on the PC though.

I don't know where the manual is? Also I don't know if the partition has been damaged or not.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have great options. Do you have any information from where you got it, or some type of verification that you purchased the operating system? With decent verification you may be able to call Microsoft customer support for help, but they probably won't do much if you can't prove you have a right to the software.

I think I got the computer from Walmart if that helps

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have your PC ID number and all that good stuff if you contact Dell you can request for them to send the back up discs. I've done that in the past but it takes some time.

Otherwise, you can try hitting it.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I prefer Linux to windows. I bought a Mac because I wanted to code apps for iOS, but once you get past a little bit of a learning curve (it's really not bad) Linux gives you a lot more control, and there are a variety of free builds you could choose that would be very similar to windows in terms of user friendliness.

Doctor L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might have to order a Windows installation disk.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I prefer Linux to windows. I bought a Mac because I wanted to code apps for iOS, but once you get past a little bit of a learning curve (it's really not bad) Linux gives you a lot more control, and there are a variety of free builds you could choose that would be very similar to windows in terms of user friendliness.

Have you tried the Zorin branch of Ubuntu? It is wild, Windows 7 like start button but AWN toolbar so it's also slightly MAC OS like in some way.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hidden partition shouldn't be damaged, you can go to support.dell.com on another PC and enter your service tag number and from there read the manual on line.

Where is the service tag number?