• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Computer problem question

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something about that a while back. I figure pron sites were a big virus problem, turns our religious sites are waaay worse for getting viruses en sech. Kinda surprised me at first.

When you think about it, it kind of makes sense. People usually think **** sites are tainted with viruses and take precautions when going there (for the most part). Not to mention, they are a business and they need to sell a good product. Religious sites on the other hand, usually don't think they have to worry about that stuff and are often times not very secure on the back end and hacked.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you think about it, it kind of makes sense. People usually think **** sites are tainted with viruses and take precautions when going there (for the most part). Not to mention, they are a business and they need to sell a good product. Religious sites on the other hand, usually don't think they have to worry about that stuff and are often times not very secure on the back end and hacked.

Yup, the more I thought about it the more it made sense. These hackers aren't stupid, that's fer sure.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering if I can take the computer to Best Buy and have the Geek Squad take a look at it and see if they can fix the problem.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can certainly try. It may be some wasted time, but they may be able to help.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering if I can take the computer to Best Buy and have the Geek Squad take a look at it and see if they can fix the problem.

Don't do it. Find a local computer shop. Half of Best Buy's Geek squad is just glorified sales people. They don't know what they're doing and will try to sell you everything they can before they try and fix it and that considering they try to fix it.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the silver sticker but can't really read it cause the sticker is upside down and it looks like there's three numbers instead of two.

Might be 3 on the silver stickers, don't recall but the service tag is the shortest of the 3 probably. Should be just 7 characters.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't do it. Find a local computer shop. Half of Best Buy's Geek squad is just glorified sales people. They don't know what they're doing and will try to sell you everything they can before they try and fix it and that considering they try to fix it.

And for what they'll charge you is almost the price of buying a new copy of Windows and installing it yourself.

dp_broncos

Possibly Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check craigslist in your area before going to geek squad. What you need done to yours isn't that tough (I've done it a dozen or so times over the years) it's just fairly specific to fix.

However, if you're inclined to try it (again, I'm not suggesting this, as you can hose it pretty good), here are the instructions and ramification on how to fix it:

Restore Windows system settings from the recovery console.

You will need your original XP CD from dell. If you don't have one, 9 times out of 10 Dell will ship you one for free regardless of warranty status. If you can't get one at all, again, check craigslist. A copy of a legit Windows XP CD will work.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check craigslist in your area before going to geek squad. What you need done to yours isn't that tough (I've done it a dozen or so times over the years) it's just fairly specific to fix.

However, if you're inclined to try it (again, I'm not suggesting this, as you can hose it pretty good), here are the instructions and ramification on how to fix it:

You will need your original XP CD from dell. If you don't have one, 9 times out of 10 Dell will ship you one for free regardless of warranty status. If you can't get one at all, again, check craigslist. A copy of a legit Windows XP CD will work.

I may have to order it from Dell. I've heard alot of the PCs don't come with any of the disks now a days cause it's cheaper to build it in the computer and you make the back ups. Do you have to pay for any shipping or no?

_______

I can make it to gate in 2.6 seconds can you?

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where's the page that I can order it from Dell