• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colts go for it on 4th, on their own 40, in OT, and lose

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with it.
Ties are gayer than your sister.
4th and 4 ain't that hard.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Colts fan and I loved the call. Screw this tie crap. I am thrilled to have a coach with some testicles for a change. We went through soft ass Dungy, Caldwell, and Pagano. Coach Reich is a breath of fresh air.
I can appreciate having a coach that plays to win more than not lose. Like so many coaches do today.
Only bad thing was it wa in the division, you lost too.
but then again I dont think the Colts are making the playoffs, & if they were to even have a chance they would have needed that win. More importantly the coach stood tall on his decision. What did he say? He would do it 10 out of 10 times or something like that. Now you know what type of coach you have. When these kind of chances work. People say what a great coach someone is. When they dont they are dumb. I wouldnt mind having a coach that plays to win.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can appreciate having a coach that plays to win more than not lose. Like so many coaches do today.
Only bad thing was it wa in the division, you lost too.
but then again I dont think the Colts are making the playoffs, & if they were to even have a chance they would have needed that win. More importantly the coach stood tall on his decision. What did he say? He would do it 10 out of 10 times or something like that. Now you know what type of coach you have. When these kind of chances work. People say what a great coach someone is. When they dont they are dumb. I wouldnt mind having a coach that plays to win.
This is exactly why I approve. We are still putting together a roster for Coach Reich's system and were in no way shape or form a playoff team this year. Build an identity and something to get your guys to rally behind as you build this team. I promise you though, within the next 2 seasons we are no worse than the AFC Championship game.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumbest coaching move was once again Dan Quinn and his awful clock management . Sitting on a timeout with the Bengals in range of scoring vs your sieve of s defense . Ultimately they scored ) of course ) and instead of getting the ball back with 45 seconds left and only needing a fg to win you get the ball back with 7 seconds and a completely useless timeout now left

At least Indy was trying to win .

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumbest coaching move was once again Dan Quinn and his awful clock management . Sitting on a timeout with the Bengals in range of scoring vs your sieve of s defense . Ultimately they scored ) of course ) and instead of getting the ball back with 45 seconds left and only needing a fg to win you get the ball back with 7 seconds and a completely useless timeout now left

At least Indy was trying to win .

Yep, I was watching that and thinking the same thing

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with the call. The Colts needed a win. They play in New England on Thursday which will probably be a loss. A 1-2-1 record going into that game wouldn't help them in the playoff hunt.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Help me out here Hooplans.

What decisions have you seen coaches make, in OT, that are comparably as dumb?

Marty Mornhiweg winning the toss and opting to take the wind and kick is all I've got.

This goes back a ways... YEARS ago the Bucs were playing the Patriots. Windy game and nobody's moved the ball into the wind at all. Come to OT, and the Bucs coach wins the toss (this is back in the sudden death no 2nd drive if a FG), and chooses to defer so he gets the wind.

Only time I can think of a coach deferring on the OT coin toss. And it sorta makes sense because if you get to choose the wind, that's the only way anybody's been scoring.

NE gets the ball, into the wind, Eason marches them down the field, and they score the game winning FG on the first drive.

Bucs lose, and I remember that game just summed up all the futility of them at that time.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with the call. The Colts needed a win. They play in New England on Thursday which will probably be a loss. A 1-2-1 record going into that game wouldn't help them in the playoff hunt.

The only reason I like it as well. It's early, but with NE next week, that games pretty important to get a win out of.

Kinda like when Belichick went for it on 4th down with Brady to Welker against the Colts, and basically said something along the lines of if it wasn't Peyton Manning on the other end they would have punted.

I may not have made the same call, but I can respect it.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with it, he wanted to win a division game at home. You do everything you can to win those games.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Help me out here Hooplans.

What decisions have you seen coaches make, in OT, that are comparably as dumb?

Marty Mornhiweg winning the toss and opting to take the wind and kick is all I've got.

Belichic did the same thing like 4 years ago vs the Jets. Fitzpatrick throws a td and Pats lose HFA that year to Denver. Or doing an onside kick up 14 early in a game to Philly same year and Philly recovers it for a td and then scores the next 40 points. Then going for it on 4th and 2 inside your own 30 up 4 to Indy with Peyton with a min to go and lost that game

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With both teams not going to the playoffs.
Jags and titans will finish 1 2 in the south. M
Texans and colts can suck a dick.

Failing to understand the calculus that a tie is better than a loss when you're 1-2 in a division with the Jags, who went to the AFCCG last year, and the Titans, who also made the playoffs last year. They were both 3-1 at that point in the game; a tie is worthless to Indy if the playoffs matter. Not like he loses currency in the lockerroom to go for the win either when a FG was all that was needed at that point.

This is exactly why I approve. We are still putting together a roster for Coach Reich's system and were in no way shape or form a playoff team this year. Build an identity and something to get your guys to rally behind as you build this team. I promise you though, within the next 2 seasons we are no worse than the AFC Championship game.

Bump.

We'll see how it plays out the last two weeks. But Indy is now locked with the Ravens and Titans for the 2nd wildcard. If they had the gotten this tie, they'd control their own destiny.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a bad decision back then and even worse now.......

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump.

We'll see how it plays out the last two weeks. But Indy is now locked with the Ravens and Titans for the 2nd wildcard. If they had the gotten this tie, they'd control their own destiny.
That's assuming that everything else for the team would be exactly the same. I don't know that to be true. The call affected players and coaches mindsets. Different decisions would have been made. It also would not have guaranteed a tie. They still could have lost.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Marty taking the wind can ever be topped. I will be laughing at that sh*t on my deathbed.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fun to look back on but Indy was primed to go either 6-0 or 4-2 in the division. Had they won week 4, then they would have had to beat Jacksonville and probably would being first place in the division. If they were not 4-2 they would have to be 6-0. But they have not even gone 4-2 yet in the division. Houston would certainly have played harder if they had lost the first one.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fun to look back on but Indy was primed to go either 6-0 or 4-2 in the division. Had they won week 4, then they would have had to beat Jacksonville and probably would being first place in the division. If they were not 4-2 they would have to be 6-0. But they have not even gone 4-2 yet in the division. Houston would certainly have played harder if they had lost the first one.
I don't give much to hindsight. Tying that game could have led to losing others.