• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly hired!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Kelly the coach. I think Kelly the GM might actually be an upgrade.

Why don't I like Kelly the coach? I'd have to go back and look to be sure, but I think his teams in Philly led the league in three and outs, and even if his teams score, they still leave their defenses out on the field way too long over the course of a game, and over the long haul of the entire season. This is a recipe for not having enough juice to run deep into the playoffs, not that this team will make the playoffs with this gimmick offense in the NFCW. Arizona and Seattle are going to go 6-0 against us over the next three years, and we won't be in any of those games.

Additionally, we don't have anything in place to run his scheme. Kaepernick has the running part of a QB that Kelly likes, but Kelly is going to discover how innaccurate his arm is. Additionally, I don't think Kaepernick is smart enough, or willing enough, to learn this offense and run it the way Kelly will want it run. Add in the fact that we're now going to burn the 7th overall pick on a linebacker with a blown up knee (I'm guessing on this one, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least; Baalke is straight up retarded for injured players and projects).

I'm sorry, I just don't see a single positive in this hire. I see three glaring negatives, though.

1). Kelly being hired definitely means we're not drafting a QB at 7, and that sucks, since we're going to waste at least one more season before we address that problem.
2). Kelly being hired just has the feel that our FO can fall back on the, "See, we're not a terrible job. We didn't pick the absolute trash of the trash this year. We had options," routine, and it allows the FO to further ignore reality. If Kelly goes 3-13 (and I don't think he's going to win much more than that with this roster), I think Jed will chalk it up to "Well, he's implementing his system, and it's going to take some time. Kelly will remain, and so will Baalke. If Kelly goes 5-11 in year two, Jed will get all giddy and extend everybody, falsely believing this team is on the right track to get to the SB.
3). Who are the other coaches going to be, and more importantly, who is going to choose them. Jed and Baalke have made some statements that make it seem as though they'll be deciding who the staff is, even if they let Kelly tell the media that these are his guys.
I hope they don't. I want them to wait a year and draft Watson from Clemson. Now that is a Chip Kelly QB

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they don't. I want them to wait a year and draft Watson from Clemson. Now that is a Chip Kelly QB

Knowing the Niners, they'll find a way to win the last game of the season and lose the top pick. Watson looked really good against a very good Alabama team.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually ok with the Chip Kelly hire for a few reasons:

1. He can't be any worse then Tomsula. Chip may have the personality of a brick wall but he is an X and O kind of guy, something seriously lacking over the past 1.5 seasons.

2. He's an offensive mind. That's killing two birds with one stone. OC and HC taken care of on a team that has better defensive talent then offensive talent.

3. He has no control over player personnel. So we won't have to worry about him cutting Eric Reid because he doesn't like his haircut or trading Bowman for a bag of balls and a spittoon.

4. Tom Gamble can be the buffer between Chip and Baalke, something Harbaugh never had the luxury of having. Word is Gamble and Chip get along VERY well and Gamble was let go by Roseman as a FUCK YOU to Chip during the PHI power struggle. Gamble is highly regarded in player personnel and was one of the guys I was sad to see go when he left for PHI originally.

5. He's proven to be a winner despite having schmucks at QB over the past three seasons. That plays well for our roster given that we have the same problem. NOTE: I actually like Gabbert and don't think him to be as terrible as I originally thought.

6. We have an assload of cap space and 12 draft picks this off season to mold our offense towards what he wants it to be from day one.

There are plenty of naysayers out there and overblown spats with former players, but at the end of the day, he was a better option IMO then Shanahan, Koetter, Holmgren, and everyone else we interviewed, except maybe Hue.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...really?
You cant see any??

Are you that myopic???

Oooh, he runs fast and he's on the cover of GQ magazine. That's potential.

Have you seen him play?
I am thinking you have not watched many of Kap's games. He will be a 29 yr old QB in 2016 who has regressed in each of the last 2 seasons. Maybe you are giving him too much credit for his athleticism or running ability? But as a QB, he has shown no potential to be better. Accuracy & lack of command of the offense are his issues. A less than 60% passer who has trouble getting the snap off because he has issues calling plays & reading the defense.

Chip Kelly's offense has been figured out. It's a middle of the pack offense which struggles in the redzone because there no longer any deep routes the defense has to respect. Add in the hurry up element which is a detriment to the defense & you end up with a net negative.

This. Exactly this.

People are still trying to associate "potential" with him because they're enamored by his physical traits and...well, nothing else that I can think of.

Does JaMarcus Russel still have potential? Does AJ Jenkins still have potential? What about Trent Richardson? Tim Tebow? Exactly how much incompetence do some of these people need to see in a player before they throw away the "potential" label and call him what he is: a guy with the physical tools who simply can't play at this level.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oooh, he runs fast and he's on the cover of GQ magazine. That's potential.

Have you seen him play?

This. Exactly this.

People are still trying to associate "potential" with him because they're enamored by his physical traits and...well, nothing else that I can think of.

Does JaMarcus Russel still have potential? Does AJ Jenkins still have potential? What about Trent Richardson? Tim Tebow? Exactly how much incompetence do some of these people need to see in a player before they throw away the "potential" label and call him what he is: a guy with the physical tools who simply can't play at this level.

Ummm no....not even close.

Comparing him to those you listed is just a lame red herring...and I didn't even know he was on the cover of GQ.

C'mon, Man!!

:L

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm no....not even close.

Comparing him to those you listed is just a lame red herring.

C'mon, Man!!

:L

Each of those guys has physical traits that made them highly sought after, and each of those guys has greatly struggled in the NFL despite their athleticism. You know, kind of like Kaepernick. Hence the comparison.

How is it a red herring?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record,

Each of those guys has physical traits that made them highly sought after, and each of those guys has greatly struggled in the NFL despite their athleticism. You know, kind of like Kaepernick. Hence the comparison.

How is it a red herring?

Different systems,coaches,roster...not to mention overall skill set, passion for the game, mentality & attitude.

Apples & Oranges.

Next.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different systems,coaches,roster...not to mention overall skill set, mentality & attitude.

Apples & Oranges.

Next.

Did I say that Kaepernick had EXACTLY the same situation as each of the other players I listed? Do you know of ANY players who had EXACTLY the same situation that Kaepernick has had?

My point is simply that some players struggle in the NFL despite having exceptional athleticism. It's called a bust. OBVIOUSLY, Kaeperick isn't identical ( :rolleyes2: )to each of the players I listed above, but the existence of busts should be obvious. Furthermore, "potential" is too closely associated with athleticism in my opinion, when there are many examples of players who have athleticism and not the intangibles needed to play in the NFL. Do you not agree with this? This isn't rocket science here.

"Let's never compare anything to anything else because they're never EXACTLY the same." :L

"We will never know if Joe Montana was better than Colin Kaepernick because they can't be compared."

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:tsk:

Meh..I'm done with this topic.
Not gonna waste time splitting hairs and over analyzing it.
Ultimately it'll come down to which direction your GM and new HC wants to go.

Maybe you should complain to the Niner brass and voice your concerns to them.

Good Luck.

:lol:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the topic at hand, I'm ok with the hiring of Chip Kelly if you look at it by itself. Not crazy about it, but don't hate it. He's definitely an upgrade over Tomsula, but that isn't saying much since he was never qualified for the job to begin with.

What I'm concerned about is that it looks like he's going to throw Kaepernick back into the starting line-up, and I don't see how that can possibly lead to anything different than the train-wreck we witnessed this year. That's what irritates me about hiring Chip, not that man himself. Although, it does say quite a bit about Chip if he's willing to take on the challenge of fixing Kaepernick after the media disaster he was part of in Philadelphia.

He's got balls - I'll give him that. But I seriously question his judgement if that's what his plan is.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Niners fans. Just dropping by to welcome you into the fold of perpetual suckage. The Dolphins, the Browns, the Lions, the Raiders, the Jags, the Titans, and the Bucs all feel the pain that you will be feeling for the next 3-10 years. You can vent to us anytime you feel the need, and we will try to offer advice to help you get through your shitty seasons.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Niners fans. Just dropping by to welcome you into the fold of perpetual suckage. The Dolphins, the Browns, the Lions, the Raiders, the Jags, the Titans, and the Bucs all feel the pain that you will be feeling for the next 3-10 years. You can vent to us anytime you feel the need, and we will try to offer advice to help you get through your shitty seasons.

Hey now. We have big aspirations here and we can't have you getting in our way. That first overall pick is ours next year!

:suds:

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey now. We have big aspirations here and we can't have you getting in our way. That first overall pick is ours next year!

:suds:

You guys can have Deshaun Watson. No different than the splash RGIII made. Everybody always overreacts to college achievements. Very few exceptions to that rule really. How many QBs have been picked top 5 and went on to have great careers? Peyton Manning and................................98% of QBs in this era just aren't good enough to play right away. Offense is so basic and stripped down. If you watch Clemson games, they pretty much do the same thing Oregon and Baylor does. Those strange signs to call the plays. What I've gathered over the years about the signs is you have your basic read run play, a vertical concept, quick crossing patterns, or a screen. The QB reads the defense, picks the play, and goes with it. It's so simple a caveman could run it. Kind of sad.

With that said, the 49ers need......everything? Not much depth on this team it looks like. Around 50 million in cap space though should help them along their rebuilding process. If it was me, I'd definitely be looking on the offensive side. Improve in the trenches, find some depth for your backfield and receiving threats. Damn, that offense looks worse than I thought.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This hire smell a lot like when Nolan hired Martz.

I don't like this hire and get no satisfaction that Baalke will still be in charge of personnel.

Glad we ducked Hue.

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's already in the building..

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't struggled of late, he has struggled for 2 seasons. The proper coach & weapons excuse is BS. He has had a HoF type WR security blanket, a good running game, & good defense over the last few seasons. And yet he has still regressed.

This potential you see is just hopeful thinking.

I'm not going to call Kaep good but the O-Line this year was terrible they really only had two good guys in Boone and Staley the rest were garbage so that didn't help him develop.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing the Niners, they'll find a way to win the last game of the season and lose the top pick. Watson looked really good against a very good Alabama team.
Watson reminds me of Wilson. I dont know if i want Watson. Lets See what next year brings.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually ok with the Chip Kelly hire for a few reasons:

1. He can't be any worse then Tomsula. Chip may have the personality of a brick wall but he is an X and O kind of guy, something seriously lacking over the past 1.5 seasons.

2. He's an offensive mind. That's killing two birds with one stone. OC and HC taken care of on a team that has better defensive talent then offensive talent.

3. He has no control over player personnel. So we won't have to worry about him cutting Eric Reid because he doesn't like his haircut or trading Bowman for a bag of balls and a spittoon.

4. Tom Gamble can be the buffer between Chip and Baalke, something Harbaugh never had the luxury of having. Word is Gamble and Chip get along VERY well and Gamble was let go by Roseman as a FUCK YOU to Chip during the PHI power struggle. Gamble is highly regarded in player personnel and was one of the guys I was sad to see go when he left for PHI originally.

5. He's proven to be a winner despite having schmucks at QB over the past three seasons. That plays well for our roster given that we have the same problem. NOTE: I actually like Gabbert and don't think him to be as terrible as I originally thought.

6. We have an assload of cap space and 12 draft picks this off season to mold our offense towards what he wants it to be from day one.

There are plenty of naysayers out there and overblown spats with former players, but at the end of the day, he was a better option IMO then Shanahan, Koetter, Holmgren, and everyone else we interviewed, except maybe Hue.
Great post. We have a winner boys and girls. I agree with everything you said and to be honest most of it are facts. The guy can win games and he is a good X's and O's guy who can help this bad offense. I think Kap would do great in the season if not Kap is done in the NFL. Kelly never had a true QB to run hi system. Kap might be that guy if he can get his confidence back.