• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Chiefs/Seahawks Preseason Week 1 3:30 PM CT

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rewinding this game and Chris Jones looks pretty solid. Pick keeps looking better and better.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the 1st quarter of the game. Chiefs offense looks like a well oiled machine. Could be a better unit than what they had last year and last year's unit was pretty darn good. Ran hard against a pretty stout front-7 and Smith just seemed very calm. Very impressed with his play when the snap was high and yet still kept his composure and made a nice play.

The 1st string defense (given I do know they were missing some starters) though looked a bit lost. Saw a decent number of plays on that 1st drive that they were out of position and just seemed to get little to no push up front. Like I said I know starters were missing so maybe that gets corrected but to me Seattle might have the worst OL in the NFL so I thought KC would do a bit more against them. Obviously nice interception in the end zone but I would think they have to do a bit more instead of playing the bend but don't break defense in the hopes of getting a turnover every time. First preseason game obviously and starters were not out there long but I am definitely interested to see how the Chiefs defense looks moving forward. See if any pass rusher not named Hali or Houston can get some consistent pressure.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the 1st quarter of the game. Chiefs offense looks like a well oiled machine. Could be a better unit than what they had last year and last year's unit was pretty darn good. Ran hard against a pretty stout front-7 and Smith just seemed very calm. Very impressed with his play when the snap was high and yet still kept his composure and made a nice play.

The 1st string defense (given I do know they were missing some starters) though looked a bit lost. Saw a decent number of plays on that 1st drive that they were out of position and just seemed to get little to no push up front. Like I said I know starters were missing so maybe that gets corrected but to me Seattle might have the worst OL in the NFL so I thought KC would do a bit more against them. Obviously nice interception in the end zone but I would think they have to do a bit more instead of playing the bend but don't break defense in the hopes of getting a turnover every time. First preseason game obviously and starters were not out there long but I am definitely interested to see how the Chiefs defense looks moving forward. See if any pass rusher not named Hali or Houston can get some consistent pressure.
A lot of effort has been put into revamping the O-line, RB depth, and skill positions the past 3 years and it was nice to see that kind of gell together for one drive. Been quite some time where I'd like to see this offense push the envelope instead of a guarded approach due to an inability to win talent wise apples to apples. Was very pleased with what I saw on that front, but I want to see it again. Lot of youth on offense for the most part.

Conversely, the DL definitely didn't have it's best night. Seattle is a better runblocking team than many realize, but that wasn't a good OL out there and it shouldn't have been so easy for the Seattle 1's to run the ball. Granted, several plays the ball was out of the QB's hand so quick it's difficult to actually rush the passer, but at some point that grows a bit thin. That DL is mostly a known quantity however so I don't worry about them much as much as I do about Gaines, Hali and Houston's health. Adding any of those three back and the defense can do quite a bit more schematically... but so too would losing them be. Nelson needs to be kicked inside and allowed to be physical to be most effective, imo. Was very cringey to see off-man from the Chiefs as that's generally not their Modus Operandi in coverage.

If I am still seeing lapses on defense like today with Gaines, Hali, and Berry back, I'll be concerned then. As of right now? Eh, not the team we'll see week 1 hardly.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of effort has been put into revamping the O-line, RB depth, and skill positions the past 3 years and it was nice to see that kind of gell together for one drive. Been quite some time where I'd like to see this offense push the envelope instead of a guarded approach due to an inability to win talent wise apples to apples. Was very pleased with what I saw on that front, but I want to see it again. Lot of youth on offense for the most part.

Conversely, the DL definitely didn't have it's best night. Seattle is a better runblocking team than many realize, but that wasn't a good OL out there and it shouldn't have been so easy for the Seattle 1's to run the ball. Granted, several plays the ball was out of the QB's hand so quick it's difficult to actually rush the passer, but at some point that grows a bit thin. That DL is mostly a known quantity however so I don't worry about them much as much as I do about Gaines, Hali and Houston's health. Adding any of those three back and the defense can do quite a bit more schematically... but so too would losing them be. Nelson needs to be kicked inside and allowed to be physical to be most effective, imo. Was very cringey to see off-man from the Chiefs as that's generally not their Modus Operandi in coverage.

If I am still seeing lapses on defense like today with Gaines, Hali, and Berry back, I'll be concerned then. As of right now? Eh, not the team we'll see week 1 hardly.

Like I said it is more something at least for me I will be keeping a bit of an eye on for the Chiefs. First preseason game though you see a whole lot of good and bad. These guys are amped up to finally get to hit somebody other than their teammates and it can lead to some bad play. And like you said with so many starters out on defense hard to get too much of a gauge on that unit. That is what had me so excited about the Broncos defense is that Ware, Miller, Harris, and Talib all sat out this past game yet the defense still looked very dominant. It is promising but nothing more than that at this point.

At this point of the AFC West I thought the Broncos and Chiefs starting units showed the best in the very limited action we got to see of them. Which hey should be a bit expected considering those are the playoff teams and they have returned a decent number of starters. More than anything just fun to watch some football again.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge PFF fan, but I'll leave this writeup here

Kansas City Chiefs
Quarterbacks: Alex Smith saw only one drive, but he was able to lead the team down the field for the opening touchdown. His one real play of note was a 20-yard pass on the run that set up the touchdown. After Smith called it a day, Nick Foles made his first appearance as a Chief, and while the stat line doesn’t wow, he did earn the highest grade among the team’s quarterbacks.

Offense: Tackle Jah Reid and guard Garrick Mayweather played well, earning positive grades in the run game. Reid saw extensive action, logging 31 snaps as the Chiefs gave their second-string line a good workout. Rookie Parker Ehinger (University of Cincinnati), a fourth-round selection, started at left guard and held his own, with just one QB hurry marring his scorecard. Running back Spencer Ware didn’t see much action, but he did make an impression, forcing two missed tackles from just five carries. Among the wide receivers, De’Anthony Thomas forced two missed tackles from three receptions, and Rod Streater had a nice sideline catch for a 21-yard gain.

Defense: All eyes were on the Chief’s top selection from the 2016 NFL draft, second-round pick Chris Jones (Mississippi State), and he didn’t disappoint. Jones racked up three QB hurries for an impressive 13.2 pass-rushing productivity mark, a measure of per-snap productivity as a pass-rusher. Outside linebackers Dezman Moses and Jonathan Massaquoi enjoyed considerable success against the Seahawks’ backup offensive linemen, recording three QB hits and eight total pressures between them. Corner D.J. White earned a team-high coverage grade, with two passes defensed from the six thrown into his coverage. Rookie corner KeiVarae Russell (Notre Dame) fared less fortunate, allowing all three passes into his coverage to be completed.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher, Morse, and Schwartz were all lights out blocking wise outside of Schwartz tripping once. LDT was also pretty good too, none of the gaffes we're used to seeing from the Frenchman in the short time he was out there. Ehinger looks pretty much like many thought he'd look: Technically sound, but lacks strength when push comes to shove. That'll give you an edge over the bottom tier guards in the NFL but I am not sure about the rest of steps for Ehinger. Fulton or Reid may be better options.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My takeaways:

1) I'd cut Bray right now. Not beating Foles and give some reps to the other guys.
2) If only we could put Ehinger in LDT's body. Its odd to see them both starting, to be honest but Chiefs oline looks comfortably deep going into the season.
3) De'Anthony Thomas is still an NFL player and probably makes the team

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyreek Hill played a lot better than his stats say he did rewatching this game.

Wasn't gonna go to the game this Saturday since it was only preseason, but i don't get a whole lotta chances to see my boys up close and personal. 2nd game so they'll play the starters for a tad longer...