• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Carolina Hurricanes at Philadelphia Flyers 1/22/14 | 6:00pm

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because rarely do the Flyers lose and lose while playing well(you could only say that about the Colorado game) - they make the same stupid mistakes every time they lose, a lot of times they lose because of their own doing and it doesn't make people happy whatsoever

yep.. i'm usually an upbeat guy, but that game last night was just awful hockey.. there really wasn't anything to hang your hat on.. semin's goal was a nice goal, probably nothing they could've done about it.. the rest, just awful hockey.

1. pucks bouncing over sticks
2. defenders vacating prime scoring locations to cover forwards behind the net or guys that are already marked (sweet christ if this keeps happening i'm going to pop a blood vessel)
3. bad pinches
4. abundently clear lack of desire back checking
5. not making simple plays to get the puck out of the zone

those 5 things 100% doom the flyers on nights they lose. and every single one of those things should be an easy fix. at this level of hockey the difference between a dominant team and a mediocre one comes down to desire and attention to the details. that's it. right now, the flyers don't have that.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep.. i'm usually an upbeat guy, but that game last night was just awful hockey.. there really wasn't anything to hang your hat on.. semin's goal was a nice goal, probably nothing they could've done about it.. the rest, just awful hockey.

2. defenders vacating prime scoring locations to cover forwards behind the net or guys that are already marked (sweet christ if this keeps happening i'm going to pop a blood vessel)
3. bad pinches

those 5 things 100% doom the flyers on nights they lose. and every single one of those things should be an easy fix. at this level of hockey the difference between a dominant team and a mediocre one comes down to desire and attention to the details. that's it. right now, the flyers don't have that.

We have won 10 straight home games at one point and we have plenty of home games coming in the second half of the season so losing a couple in a row is not the end of the world. Yes we looked bad Berube again has no clue on when to call a timeout and maybe we miss Rinaldo's intensity a little more than we thought. We will be in the mix right up until the last game of the season so there is no need to jump ship just yet. Looks like guys are streaking together in a good way or right now in a bad way, its the ebb and flow of the season. keep calm and stay with these guys they may suprise you. :nod:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have won 10 straight home games at one point and we have plenty of home games coming in the second half of the season so losing a couple in a row is not the end of the world. Yes we looked bad Berube again has no clue on when to call a timeout and maybe we miss Rinaldo's intensity a little more than we thought. We will be in the mix right up until the last game of the season so there is no need to jump ship just yet. Looks like guys are streaking together in a good way or right now in a bad way, its the ebb and flow of the season. keep calm and stay with these guys they may suprise you. :nod:

believe me, i'm calm las. i'm just saying, when the flyers lose, it's those 5 things that they do poorly. and in my mind, those aren't a lack of skill, it doesn't mean it's a poorly constructed roster, and really, it's not even on the coach. you can't coach drive, and you can barely coach attention to detail.. those things have to come from the players.. and they have not been able to do that consistently this year.

i think this is a good team, with the potential to be great. but they need to have more drive and more focus to go far in the playoffs.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3. bad pinches

In this order is how i would put it:

5 is our most glaring mistake
2 happens quite often
4 everyone needs to backcheck not just some guys
3 i not worried about because the pinch is what helps us score a lot of goals you are going to have some bad ones to go along with the good ones
1 we cant really do anything about as that is just bad luck

Here's a few more:
Berube needs way more coaching experience
Changes need to be kept a lot shorter
Vinny has been bad since he came back and needs to get much better
Couts needs to be way more consistant.
Defense needs to be way better in our own zone

shrike19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still take too many shifts off(ok, at times whole periods), luke schenn sucks, he's always out of position, coburn hasn't been much better. At least I get to come on here and see lasgop's avatars, they're better than watching the flyers most of the time. cheers!!!!!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can't coach drive, and you can barely coach attention to detail.. those things have to come from the players.. and they have not been able to do that consistently this year.

If it's lacking and coaching can't fix it, then it's on the GM to change the roster.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's lacking and coaching can't fix it, then it's on the GM to change the roster.

i agree, but it's not easy to make a change for sake of change, especially this season when the cap is down and the flyers have been using LTIR to remain compliant since october. i think i read yesterday that there's 10 teams using LTIR to remain compliant right now. plus the flyers don't have a ton of chips to trade that would bring in an impact player without getting rid of an impact player.

all that makes it tough to improve your roster and save cap space. there's less teams that can take on salary and even fewer that are willing to take on extra salary because they want to use it to improve their team, not take team's scraps.

all they can really do is be patient, wait for the summer to improve the team when they have cap space, and wait for prospects to develop. until then, someone has to get the fire going with the players.

in my eyes, this is 100% on the players. it's not coaching, it's not the GM. the GM put together a talented roster then fired the coach the players weren't listening to. his hands are tied at this point. the improvement has to come from the players themselves.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the flyers don't have a ton of chips to trade that would bring in an impact player without getting rid of an impact player.

I hear you, but if our supposed impact players aren't playing with drive and following the coach's system, why should we care if they're moved out for a different impact player who hopefully wants to play hard and learn the system?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you, but if our supposed impact players aren't playing with drive and following the coach's system, why should we care if they're moved out for a different impact player who hopefully wants to play hard and learn the system?

i have no argument for that. as long as they get fair value i'm good with it.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have no argument for that. as long as they get fair value i'm good with it.

Well, let's hope it doesn't come to that. I thought for sure they'd show up last night, but....

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's hope it doesn't come to that. I thought for sure they'd show up last night, but....

yep.. i just dont get it.. frustrating