• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carl Pelini on Tim Beck

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Randy Yorks N-Sider:
Pelini Enjoys Mad Scientist Role, Says Blackshirts Could Have Best Defense - Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

Q: Go to the other side of the ball and talk about a fellow Youngstown native. Did you weigh in with Bo on the decision to hire Tim Beck? What are you expecting from him as offensive coordinator, and will this offense be more physical and more power-oriented?

A: Absolutely I weighed in. Let me put it this way. I believe right now, with the staff we have in place, we have a culture that pervades the entire team. There's no split. Our team is unified. What Tim is going to bring to that side of the ball is a demand for perfection. Obviously, it's hard to achieve perfection, but you can still demand it. I'm excited about eliminating mistakes, stupid penalties and turnovers. I think the offense under Tim will be very well thought out. I think he looks at football very much the way we do - studying an opponent and understanding where and how you want to attack. Finding a weakness and having the ability to get in and out of an offense is how you take advantage of what a defense is doing. I think we're going to see all of those things. But what it's going to come down to for us is a continued focus on the fundamentals of the game. That's something we always try to do on the defensive side. Before we do anything else, we try to make sure we're good tacklers, good with our hands and stay low - things you learn in youth football. I think fundamentals can get lost in an offense. You can't stay multiple and forget the basics of the game. That's something Tim gets, and I'm excited about that. It's going to be a physical, competitive spring for both sides of the ball. I'm excited about all of this development, and I want to watch it all come to life as much as anyone. I'm excited about the offense having the same mentality we have. I love the dialogue that's going on between the offensive side of the ball and the defense. As we go through spring, I think it's going to make everybody better. It's going to make the offense better because they're going to look at themselves in a different way, and I think it's going to make us better on defense. As they scheme against us, I'm sure they'll expose some of our weaknesses. So it's going to be good for both sides.

The bold part made me overly excited. Cannot wait till the spring game.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't say it any better myself.

wearegettingthere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't say it any better myself.

I like what Carl is saying but lets win a conference title first and then we can talk about less penalties, less turnovers and eliminating mistakes.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Carl is saying but lets win a conference title first and then we can talk about less penalties, less turnovers and eliminating mistakes.

:welcome: Always good to see new faces.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How in the fuck are you supposed to win a conference title commiting multiple penalties, turnovers, and mistakes? You're lucky to even play for one.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the fuck are you supposed to win a conference title commiting multiple penalties, turnovers, and mistakes? You're lucky to even play for one.

LOL I thought this too, but he's new so I went easy... +1 though.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats to go easy on? Less talky about better play and more walky better play. LOL

:frusty:

wearegettingthere: "I like what Carl is saying but lets win a conference title first and then we can talk about less penalties, less turnovers and eliminating mistakes."

That's like saying "I like what Carl is saying, but let's win a National Championship and then we can talk about winning a Big 10 Title"

The way you phrased this suggests that you think we should win a conference title first and then we can worry about penalties, turnovers and mistakes.

What RA was saying is that Nebraska simply has no chance of winning a Big 10 championship playing the sloppy brand of football we did under Watson. Which is a fact.

Basically, don't be retarded in the way that you phrase things,

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's NEVER too early to start talking about getting better and executing at a higher level.

Let's face it, when you're one of the worst fumbling and being penalized, there's plenty of room for improvement. I'd say Carl's quote is more along the lines of "no shit?" vs. "eureka", but it's still awesome to see him come out and say it.

And welcome wearegettingthere, from another newb on the board.