• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bynum for Gasol?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We keep agreeing on the obvious.
Both teams want no part of him......, so, based on that, what ( anyone know?) would be a reason for either team to allow him to get paid the other 6 M this year?

The Lakers will cut him. Cleveland may not because he still is an expiring contract at the end of the season. That still gives him some trade value up until the trade deadline.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers will cut him. Cleveland may not because he still is an expiring contract at the end of the season. That still gives him some trade value up until the trade deadline.

I tend to think saving $6 mil would be better than anything they would receive Bynum after Jan 7. Other teams aren't going to send young players or other expiring contracts for him unless they are Gasol type contract situations. His value is in that $6 mil savings for any team that acquires him. And they can only save that money by Jan 7.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers I am told have lots of money. Their constraint is players/assets for the future. Any trade of Gasol should bring assets to Lakers or it is not a meaningful deal

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this trade is going to happen now. With the Lakers insistence on receiving young assets & picks as part of the deal, the Cavs are correctly balking at that.

The Lakers should just be happy with a salary dumb & the freeing up of about $20 mil in future spending.

It depends on who the Lakers are asking for. In order for salaries and $$ to match up, they can't straight up trade Bynum for Gasol. The Lakers need to take on more salary. Now they might be asking too much, which is what I suspect. But if the Cavs want to get something for Bynum, now is their chance!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers I am told have lots of money. Their constraint is players/assets for the future. Any trade of Gasol should bring assets to Lakers or it is not a meaningful deal

I read that they are asking for Sergey Karasev (19th pick 2013 draft) as part of the deal. I don't think that the quality of the player/draft pick that Gasol can command at this point are great. No one is going to give up a high 1st round pick or legitimate young player with upside for Gasol.

I think this deal is somewhat meaningful whether or not the Lakers get a player/draft pick. Simply by trading Gasol then cutting Bynum, the Lakers fall below the luxury tax threshold. That is very important regarding the highly punitive damages of the repeater tax penalty.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that they are asking for Sergey Karasev (19th pick 2013 draft) as part of the deal. I don't think that the quality of the player/draft pick that Gasol can command at this point are great. No one is going to give up a high 1st round pick or legitimate young player with upside for Gasol.

I think this deal is somewhat meaningful whether or not the Lakers get a player/draft pick. Simply by trading Gasol then cutting Bynum, the Lakers fall below the luxury tax threshold. That is very important regarding the highly punitive damages of the repeater tax penalty.

I agree that cutting salary is huge, but in order for this trade to happen, doesn't the $$ amounts on the pieces being moved need to match?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that cutting salary is huge, but in order for this trade to happen, doesn't the $$ amounts on the pieces being moved need to match?

Yeah, it has to be within a certain percentage. Cleveland would have to include something to make the trade work.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, Gasol is worth a second rounder to a team competing for a title. There has to be a team out there who is looking to purge bad contracts...........?????

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, Gasol is worth a second rounder to a team competing for a title. There has to be a team out there who is looking to purge bad contracts...........?????

I was thinking the same thing since it's better to trade Gasol for whatever you can get, than to let him walk away after the season.

At this point it's ok to trade him for a bag of chips. :lol:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me misinformed, but why would either team want it to get to the point where Bynums money is guaranteed?

Neither team does. However, while they both agree that neither of them want Bynum, they are still at cross purposes. Cleveland wants to unload him and give up as little as possible, while the Lakers want to get as much back for Gasol as possible.

Basically, they are staring each other down and waiting to see who blinks first.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers have lots of money, but they don't want to pay the luxury tax on a team that likely won't even make the playoffs. If they can unload Gasol and avoid the luxury tax, it also resets the "repeat offender" tax as well.

The Lakers have never had a problem with paying the tax, but paying it on a team that isn't even a playoff team is just bad business.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's looks like the Lakers lost their chance to save $20 mil in future money & get out of the repeat offender category. Cleveland might have found another taker for Bynum.

Cavs, Jazz Discussing Richard Jefferson

January 3 at 7:32pm CST By Zach Links
The Cavs and Jazz are discussing a deal involving Andrew Bynum and Richard Jefferson, according to Marc Stein (Twitter links) and Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com. The Cavs remain in talks with the Lakers about Pau Gasol, but the Utah deal is now also a possibility for them.

Jefferson would fill the Cavs’ need for a small forward and his $11MM deal expires at the end of the year. The 33-year-old’s star has faded considerably since his days with the Nets, but he is averaging nearly ten points per contest this season and has been shooting the long ball at an impressive 41.7% clip. For his career, Jefferson has averaged 14.8 PPG and 4.6 RPG across 13 seasons for the Nets, Bucks, Spurs, Warriors, and Jazz.

It would appear that RJ is one of the Cavs multiple offers that they are said to be mulling over at the moment. With pitches from the Jazz, Lakers, and others to possibly consider, Cleveland hopes to make a determination on Monday.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
games like tonight boost gasols worth and make lakers want more than just Bynum....21 points on 9-16 shooting , 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 blocks. thers always the speculation that gasol could revamp his career on another team

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that he is still able to produce....it was the Jazz but can he do it consistently. He's got to show it on nightly basis. He went inside and outside plus he played better D - for one game at least.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that he is still able to produce....it was the Jazz but can he do it consistently. He's got to show it on nightly basis. He went inside and outside plus he played better D - for one game at least.

Apparently he had been fighting some sort of respiratory infection for some time that sapped his energy and made it difficult to breathe. Add to that his off-season surgery and resultant rust from the inactivity and it may explain his slow start.

I don't know if he will play like he did last night on a consistent basis, but if he can, it could be good for him and the Lakers.

Good for him because it may draw interest from contending teams which could get him another ring.

Good for the Lakers in what they could get for him in terms of players/picks.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasol is worth more than a salary dump, at least a decent pick/prospect to go along with that. I wouldn't blame the Lakers if they ended up passing on the deal, also, Gasol > Richard "Old Ass" Jefferson any day of the week. Don't expect the Cavs to get a better player from anyone.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasol is worth more than a salary dump, at least a decent pick/prospect to go along with that. I wouldn't blame the Lakers if they ended up passing on the deal, also, Gasol > Richard "Old Ass" Jefferson any day of the week. Don't expect the Cavs to get a better player from anyone.

The Lakers have been holding out for a young player and a good draft pick which is good - Gasol deserves that much

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, its official now. Gasol is gone.