• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bynum for Gasol?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm rambling, another thing that's HUGE for the now and future, is that we have to hit on this upcoming draft pick. I don't know the standings, but I'd guess that we're around the 13 range as far as odds go. I'll say this much, with the way the lottery is, so long as you get in you may luck up. I mean D-Rose to the Bulls that year was a near miracle. Either we luck up....or David stern could you know...give us one...especially considering the fact that all of this mess started when he vetoed the Chris Paul trade.

The Lakers currently have the 9th worst record in the league. That should be good enough for the league offices, I mean luck, to get them a top 3 pick :lol:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree about superstars not fitting in a move it or shoot it system. They just have to have the right attitude. I think that players like Durant, Westbrook, Lebron and Love (to name a few) would do just fine in a move it or shoot it system. That's basically what the Showtime Lakers ran and it seemed to work well.
Guess I should of cleared that up better...I didn't mean all superstars, just superstar ball handlers that are mainly scorers or ball stoppers. Durant is starting to find a balance so I'd agree, Westbrook is SORT OF like Kobe in that he can pass when he wants too, so he could find a niche, but overall I think he drive Dantoni crazy. Lebron would be a lock to fit, and Love is another lock as he's a stretch 4. So I agree with all of those examples outside of maybe WB most times.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole point of making this trade is to dump Bynum and get under the luxury cap threshold. No one ever considered that Bynum would play. No way Waiters would be included. It would be a player like Gee or Miles. The best the Lakers could do is probably Miami's 2015 1st rounder. I don't think Pau's value is any higher than that. If Kyrie is hurt longterm, Cleveland isn't dealing anyway.

The only thing is that this would mean the Lakers are officially tanking it this season, but even if they don't get a decent draft pick out of it(unless they trade for one of Cleveland's) that's not necessarily a bad thing because let's face it - this season is history anyway

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Talks between the Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers over a trade involving Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum have stalled, sources told ESPN.com.

The deal is not dead but it is no longer progressing. The Cavs, who have until Jan. 7 to trade Bynum before his contract becomes guaranteed and loses its instant value in a trade, are now actively seeking other options.

The major issue, sources said, involves the Lakers' desire to get an additional asset from the Cavs beyond Bynum's team-friendly contract that could save the Lakers more than $20 million in salary and luxury taxes. The Lakers have been interested in also getting a young prospect or first-round draft pick as part of the deal. The Cavs have been reluctant to part with either.

To satisfy NBA trade rules, the Cavs would have to add at least one more player to any trade involving Gasol-for-Bynum. Gasol is in the last year of his contract that pays him $19.3 million. Bynum's contract is for $12.25 million but it is only half guaranteed before next week, which is why the Lakers are interested. By trading for and then waiving Bynum, the Lakers could take themselves below the luxury-tax threshold for the first time in seven years.

The Lakers, though, remain reluctant to part with Gasol before giving the team time to recover from a wave of injuries that have derailed their season, sources said. Jordan Farmar was the latest Laker to go down, tearing his hamstring and being declared out for a month on Wednesday. The Lakers have lost six games in a row.

There's more to read in the link above.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
much is being made about gasol not fitting into dantoni system...im not so sure how long the dantoni system is going to exist in LA. I will even go as far as to say I don't know if your going to be able to reel in a top tier free agent with dantoni as coach

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
much is being made about gasol not fitting into dantoni system...im not so sure how long the dantoni system is going to exist in LA. I will even go as far as to say I don't know if your going to be able to reel in a top tier free agent with dantoni as coach

I think too much is being made of Gasol not fitting into the D'Antoni system. He can. He can roll more to the basket instead of pop out for jumpers. He can force himself into the post more often. You are not going to be successful in any system if you don't put forth the effort. That's the problem I'm seeing with Gasol.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier I when I was looking at the deal, I didn't have the entire picture and I don't think any one in here does either. It's not about the player for the Lakers. By trading Gasol for Bynum, the Lakers would have until Jan 7th to waive Bynum. That date is important because that's when Bynumb's salary for 12 million is fully guaranteed. If they trade for Bynum and then waive him, they can dump 20 million in salary and luxary taxes and be under the salary cap at the end of this season which means they avoid paying the repeater tax as an offender and be freed up for making new long term deals that go over the salary cap. This season is a complete loss any way, so doing that move now makes really good sense

:agree:

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can roll more to the basket instead of pop out for jumpers. He can force himself into the post more often. You are not going to be successful in any system if you don't put forth the effort. That's the problem I'm seeing with Gasol.

dude, it's what I've been saying since the first game of the year....he's not a Dirk to sit out there and be consistent with his J. And on the D side, he just lets players go by him or outboard him which is sic to watch. Imagine if he had an ounce of Hill's tenacity and energy, sheesh!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this trade is going to happen now. With the Lakers insistence on receiving young assets & picks as part of the deal, the Cavs are correctly balking at that.

The Lakers should just be happy with a salary dumb & the freeing up of about $20 mil in future spending.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this trade is going to happen now. With the Lakers insistence on receiving young assets & picks as part of the deal, the Cavs are correctly balking at that.

The Lakers should just be happy with a salary dumb & the freeing up of about $20 mil in future spending.

That's good because trading Gasol would basically mean the Lakers are tanking and I am not sure that's the right thing to do to Kobe since it wouldn't help any

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can't blame the Lakers for trying to get a little more, they just need to work out something that will benefit both teams the way they want. I expect that talks will continue all the way down to wire until Jan 7.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
]I think too much is being made of Gasol not fitting into the D'Antoni system.

Just another Laker fan excuse.

Last year Laker fans said Gasol would be more natural in the system if Howard wasn't there.

The Lakers record/ scenario really isn't that hard to understand.

They would have needed a perfect storm to compete for a playoff spot this year.

Instead, a not very good/ deep roster his been injury riddled to boot.

If nothing changes, it wouldn't be hard to see the Kings passing you in the standings.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't blame the Lakers for trying to get a little more, they just need to work out something that will benefit both teams the way they want. I expect that talks will continue all the way down to wire until Jan 7.

Call me misinformed, but why would either team want it to get to the point where Bynums money is guaranteed?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me misinformed, but why would either team want it to get to the point where Bynums money is guaranteed?

Well they still have a few more days before that day, I was listening to ESPN RADIO 710 LA on the Mark & Wilher & Michael Thompson show & they said the same thing.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they still have a few more days before that day, I was listening to ESPN RADIO 710 LA on the Mark & Wilher & Michael Thompson show & they said the same thing.

Thanks.

I can't see the Cavs ever letting it get to that point.
They can't take a chance on the Lakers verbally agreeing to something and then pulling a Boozer on them.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

I can't see the Cavs ever letting it get to that point.
They can't take a chance on the Lakers verbally agreeing to something and then pulling a Boozer on them.

I don't believe the Lakers are that type of franchise to do something like that, when it comes to trade talks & the buisness of it, GM Mitch Kupchak has a good reputation with other GM's.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe the Lakers are that type of franchise to do something like that, when it comes to trade talks & the buisness of it, GM Mitch Kupchak has a good reputation with other GM's.

I'm not saying they would do that, I just wanted to throw a Boozer reference in there :yahoo:.

Anyway, if a move is to be made, the holdup must be the some other demand the Lakers have.

If the intent is for Bynums $ to become guaranteed, :noidea:, then it wouldn't matter which roster he was on leading up to that day.

I just can't see any reason why the Lakers would want him to get that 6 M.

It sure isn't like they would EVER pick up the 12 M team option next season.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they would do that, I just wanted to throw a Boozer reference in there :yahoo:.

Anyway, if a move is to be made, the holdup must be the some other demand the Lakers have.

If the intent is for Bynums $ to become guaranteed, :noidea:, then it wouldn't matter which roster he was on leading up to that day.

I just can't see any reason why the Lakers would want him to get that 6 M.

It sure isn't like they would EVER pick up the 12 M team option next season.

Bynum will not set foot in Los Angeles, let alone Staples Center, he will be waived in order to save the $20 million dollars in luxury tax.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bynum will not set foot in Los Angeles, let alone Staples Center, he will be waived in order to save the $20 million dollars in luxury tax.

We keep agreeing on the obvious.
Both teams want no part of him......, so, based on that, what ( anyone know?) would be a reason for either team to allow him to get paid the other 6 M this year?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We keep agreeing on the obvious.
Both teams want no part of him......, so, based on that, what ( anyone know?) would be a reason for either team to allow him to get paid the other 6 M this year?

Nobody will unless both GM's suffer from psychosis.