• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brown to be stripped of his C.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting perspectives. I guess from the outside, I always thought the hate he got was from the borderline dirty hits. Didn't realize he didn't stick up for teammates, that is rather surprising to me considering his greatest attribute is his physicality.

That is always part of the problem with Brown, he made big hits but then never stood up for himself and relied on his team mates to answer for his hit...vast majority of them where clean big hits, but you still have to at least stand up for yourself even if you do not drop the gloves every time. When you just skate away like that every time someone on your team takes a extra big hit and/or ends up in a fight because you didn't take a stand for your clean play....I don't expect the C to be dropping the gloves all the time, but lead by example and have your teams back if they need you...even if they don't stick up for them. Doob, watch the video above with Brown and his hit on Sedin, he skates away and gets drug around and in the end its Kopitar in a fight and I think Mitchell ended up in the box as well...that's not good for LA and could have been avoided if he stood up for his hit at the time

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else on the Richards hit, watch at the end when Richards throws Burrows down for coming after him 3 LA jerseys turn toward the action to step up for Richards while the 4th guy...you guessed it Brown turns straight away and is the only player heading away from that confrontation

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting perspectives. I guess from the outside, I always thought the hate he got was from the borderline dirty hits. Didn't realize he didn't stick up for teammates, that is rather surprising to me considering his greatest attribute is his physicality.

I haven't looked, but I'm sure if I go to Hockey Fights and look up his card, there would be 1 maybe 2 fights in his 12 year NHL career. The only one I remember was against Dallas when Turco came out to play the puck, Brown came barreling in along the boards and took him out. Brendan Morrow was the captain then and he beelined for Brown, engaged and Brown reluctantly dropped the gloves.

It was more of a wrestling match but Morrow got some decent ones in while Brown was playing defense trying not to get punched. I don't think it was warranted, it didn't look like a dirty play to me at all, but the response from Morrow is the antithesis of what Brown would have done. The fight was even more pathetic.

Another one I remember is at the end of a game against the Penguins, it was an ass kicking because the Kings were rebuilding and literally at the end of the 3rd, 20:00 mark, Malkin cruises by and elbows Wayne Simmonds in the head as he was hunched over reaching for the puck.

Completely uncalled for since it was just insult to injury, no penalty called, and if there was it didn't matter since the game was over. Brown can be clearly seen in the screen skating by and going straight to the bench, down the runway and into the locker room. I can't remember when this was (it either may have been 2007 or 2008 so Brown may have either not been the captain yet - Blake was 2006-2008 - or it was Brown's first year as captain) but there was zero response from that guy. None. As a captain to be or even a first year captain, he needed to send a message back that shit won't be tolerate Geno or not.

Simmonds played his ass off for his teammates when in LA, and took on guys bigger and heavier than him because that's what leaders do and I gelt bad for the guy that for all he does Brown didn't have his back.

On a side note: on my current team I am an Alternate, and last night a dude twice my size jumped into a skirmish between one of theirs and my defense partner. I stayed back but crept in because I could sense this guy was going to go, and the second he grabbed my partner's jersey I flew in there like a bat out of hell and tried to contain him. I even told him don't, let these two sort it out, but then he threw the first punch. I wear a visor, so I took my helmet off, gave him a second and we got into it. I didn't win the fight, his fat ass ended up on top of me (6'2" 250+ vs 5'10" 165) but the message was sent. I got some pops in and gave him a bloody nose.

Also pathetic when a bush league player like me has more balls than a professional hockey player. My partner gave me a head rub in the locker room after the game and said "thanks, I know I never have to worry with you out there". Keep in mind my partner is 6'6" 265 pounds - he doesn't need my help but that's what leaders do.

I have always said the way Brown plays is going to piss people off, and if you do that and they come for you, you cannot run each and every time. Unfortunately that is what he does which is also a reason why he probably doesn't command the respect of the guys on that list.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is always part of the problem with Brown, he made big hits but then never stood up for himself and relied on his team mates to answer for his hit...vast majority of them where clean big hits, but you still have to at least stand up for yourself even if you do not drop the gloves every time. When you just skate away like that every time someone on your team takes a extra big hit and/or ends up in a fight because you didn't take a stand for your clean play....I don't expect the C to be dropping the gloves all the time, but lead by example and have your teams back if they need you...even if they don't stick up for them. Doob, watch the video above with Brown and his hit on Sedin, he skates away and gets drug around and in the end its Kopitar in a fight and I think Mitchell ended up in the box as well...that's not good for LA and could have been avoided if he stood up for his hit at the time

I haven't looked, but I'm sure if I go to Hockey Fights and look up his card, there would be 1 maybe 2 fights in his 12 year NHL career. The only one I remember was against Dallas when Turco came out to play the puck, Brown came barreling in along the boards and took him out. Brendan Morrow was the captain then and he beelined for Brown, engaged and Brown reluctantly dropped the gloves.

It was more of a wrestling match but Morrow got some decent ones in while Brown was playing defense trying not to get punched. I don't think it was warranted, it didn't look like a dirty play to me at all, but the response from Morrow is the antithesis of what Brown would have done. The fight was even more pathetic.

Another one I remember is at the end of a game against the Penguins, it was an ass kicking because the Kings were rebuilding and literally at the end of the 3rd, 20:00 mark, Malkin cruises by and elbows Wayne Simmonds in the head as he was hunched over reaching for the puck.

Completely uncalled for since it was just insult to injury, no penalty called, and if there was it didn't matter since the game was over. Brown can be clearly seen in the screen skating by and going straight to the bench, down the runway and into the locker room. I can't remember when this was (it either may have been 2007 or 2008 so Brown may have either not been the captain yet - Blake was 2006-2008 - or it was Brown's first year as captain) but there was zero response from that guy. None. As a captain to be or even a first year captain, he needed to send a message back that shit won't be tolerate Geno or not.

Simmonds played his ass off for his teammates when in LA, and took on guys bigger and heavier than him because that's what leaders do and I gelt bad for the guy that for all he does Brown didn't have his back.

On a side note: on my current team I am an Alternate, and last night a dude twice my size jumped into a skirmish between one of theirs and my defense partner. I stayed back but crept in because I could sense this guy was going to go, and the second he grabbed my partner's jersey I flew in there like a bat out of hell and tried to contain him. I even told him don't, let these two sort it out, but then he threw the first punch. I wear a visor, so I took my helmet off, gave him a second and we got into it. I didn't win the fight, his fat ass ended up on top of me (6'2" 250+ vs 5'10" 165) but the message was sent. I got some pops in and gave him a bloody nose.

Also pathetic when a bush league player like me has more balls than a professional hockey player. My partner gave me a head rub in the locker room after the game and said "thanks, I know I never have to worry with you out there". Keep in mind my partner is 6'6" 265 pounds - he doesn't need my help but that's what leaders do.

I have always said the way Brown plays is going to piss people off, and if you do that and they come for you, you cannot run each and every time. Unfortunately that is what he does which is also a reason why he probably doesn't command the respect of the guys on that list.
Very enlightening perspectives, I guess as someone who doesn't watch King games much (mainly because of time zone difference), I didn't pick up on those subtle things that you don't really notice unless you watch the games regularly. Appreciate the insight :yo:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, it's just his cap hit that's the issue. He was actually a huge part of that 2012 cup run and has been okay the subsequent years (Not great, just average). However, his cap hit is just too high and is preventing the team from plugging major holes in the lineup. Missing the Playoffs last year and bounced in 5 games this year when this team was supposed to be in their window to win is just not good enough. Kopitar's contract kicks in next year and the team has already been sacrificing depth the past few years.

There are intangibles that I feel should be mentioned with Brown being a family man and the Captain LA needed with regards to the community. He's the guy who got married early, had kids early, and wasn't a guy (Doughty) you were going to hear partying and potentially getting into trouble. For that reason, I think he was great for LA and was perfect for when LA was still developing into a contender.

Now, they are still in contention if they can stabilize the D, which is appearing more and more difficult with the cap remaining stagnant. So when you look at the lineup, and where the most logical change will need to come from, it's probably Brown because his cap is so high when you consider the team results the past 2 years.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know the source of this, but it's not like we didn't know it already:

The Los Angeles Kings have told Dustin Brown that his contract is untrableable. Brown doesn’t have an agent, which would be helpful to potentially find a team interested. Expansion could be another option.

NHL Rumors: Blue Jackets, Canucks, Avs, Coyotes and Red Wings

Scroll down to maybe the third/fourth segment. I forgot that Brown negotiated this deal on his own, if we hear he hired an agent it means he is looking for a move as well.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the "shocking rumors" are, we all pretty much know he is a candidate for a buyout. Dramatics I guess.

Just depends how Dumbo feels about having his hit still on the books in 12 years. Years 5 and 6 are the worst, which would be the 2020 and 2021 seasons. If a buyout does occur, we can safely assume all avenues to move him off the books were attempted. The buyout period officially opened up today through June 30.

But who knows, that draft is coming up and stranger things have happened.

The buyout detail specifics per General Fanager:

upload_2016-6-15_8-34-33.png

In terms of cash, he will be making $7 million in 2016-17, the same number as Jeff Carter and Jonathan Quick. Ouch.

Last edited:

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Kings buy him out, then clearly 2 things: Their window is the next few years.
And secondly, they'll plan on going back to collecting high draft picks in 2021-2026.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a buyout at all, if he cant be traded I would rather see what happens with no C and see if he can be taken in expansion...even make a deal "if you draft him we will do something nice for you"

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a buyout at all, if he cant be traded I would rather see what happens with no C and see if he can be taken in expansion...even make a deal "if you draft him we will do something nice for you"

They would have to do something on the DL, this won't be like other EDs in the past where gentlemen agreements were in place (i.e, Frederick Chabot in the late 1990s, don't take Jamie Storr) because the NHL has stated there will be significant penalties - fines and loss of draft picks - if teams want to do that. They want this Expansion Team to be competitive right off the bat, unlike the SJ/Ott/TB/etc. years.

One of the ways they are doing that is at least two Fs and one D per team need to be exposed who meet the "40/70 Rule" (40 games played the prior season or 70 games played the prior 2 seasons combined) and not only that, these 40/70 guys need to be under contract for at least one more year after being claimed in the ED. They cannot be on expiring contracts (June 30, 2017), leaving them free to say no thanks to Vegas and signing UFA deals elsewhere or being an RFA and holding out. The NHL did away with Compensatory Draft Picks in regards to unsigned UFAs in the 2005 CBA moving forward.

Brown obviously has an eternity left on this deal it seems and he meets the 40/70 rule so it's a moot point, just stating it won't be as easy to make those kind of back door deals this time around.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They know how to work around anything put in place, sure there are penalties but I wouldn't mind giving up a draft pick to unload a certain contract :heh:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16:30 mark Dean says Kings are absolutely NOT thinking about a buyout on Dustin Brown (but then says "at this point" or something of that nature).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
22:00 mark Dean says Kings will make their best possible offer "given the circumstances" to Milan Lucic sometime early next week. He said both sides would like Lucic to stay in LA (For whatever that is worth).