• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brown to be stripped of his C.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise to us hard-core fans. Much needed. Also, this move is interesting in light of Sharks' success after making their locker room leadership changes.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised one bit and actually about time. No secret I have not liked his leadership the last 5-7 seasons, I think he was a great captain for where the Kings were when he was named captain. It totally validates everything I have said about the guy for years.

From 2003-2008 he was developing just like guys like Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, etc. but to me never changed after the Kings became what you would call a "veteran" team. He was perfect for that core group growing up together. He was their equal. Then guys like Mitchell, Regehr, Richards, etc. came on board and I think provided more leadership than Brown did without sporting a letter, and being the non-confrontational player he is, I don't think he knew how to lead a veteran team.

I think you need to have an outspoken personality to be a captain, quiet guys like Lidstrom are rare. Captains need to have a massive pulse on the team, step up when needed and call guys out. Brown did none of that after really 2011-12 and you couple in the sharp decline in play, it's no surprise this happened. Look at Backes, dude broke down and was emotional after the Blues got wiped out. Something happens there, he is the first guy to step up and defend his teammates. Brown lacks the emotion necessary to lead, especially in times of despair. His monotone, status quo interviews, etc. all a point to a guy who would rather be playing than leading.

I could be wrong here but I think this is the first step in him being moved out as soon as possible. My intial guess is the feelers went out after the Kings got eliminated, Dumbo didn't like what he heard on the return so he has positioned Brown to either be bought out during the Buyout Period (basically June 15 - 30th) or there is gentleman's deal in place and he will be moved.

Either way, the road to moving him out has begun. This was simply to mitigate damage within the fanbase and community that a long time player and team captain is leaving.

Last edited:

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question(s): If Kings are able to move Brown, they would likely have to retain some of his salary/cap hit?
So, does anyone know the % of salary an NHL team is allowed to retain? 1/2?
Also, getting creative here,..... is a team able to retain "x" % of a guy's cap hit for certain years of his contract, and different % for other years of the contract (wishful thinking)

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not shocked, the writing was on the wall when Kopi signed his deal.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question(s): If Kings are able to move Brown, they would likely have to retain some of his salary/cap hit?
So, does anyone know the % of salary an NHL team is allowed to retain? 1/2?
Also, getting creative here,..... is a team able to retain "x" % of a guy's cap hit for certain years of his contract, and different % for other years of the contract (wishful thinking)
Teams can retain half, but it is for the rest of the deal. No way to retain 50% then 40% then 30%
I think Kings are stuck with him for one more year, then they might be able to work something out.
I don't think he would be taken if there was an expansion draft ( my wishful thinking) but maybe in a deal.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why announce it now? If they wanted to trade him, this makes him look damaged goods.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why announce it now? If they wanted to trade him, this makes him look damaged goods.

Ya losing the C is what makes him look crappy :thumb:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you need to have an outspoken personality to be a captain, quiet guys like Lidstrom are rare. Captains need to have a massive pulse on the team, step up when needed and call guys out. Brown did none of that after really 2011-12 and you couple in the sharp decline in play, it's no surprise this happened. Look at Backes, dude broke down and was emotional after the Blues got wiped out. Something happens there, he is the first guy to step up and defend his teammates. Brown lacks the emotion necessary to lead, especially in times of despair. .

Its hard to call players out when your the one consistently under performing. He has not shown the ability to step up play when needed in 4 or 5 years, even his hits are not ones that "matter". I am a bit optimistic that his play will improve without the C...not that he will be worth the contract but I think he will be better no matter where he is playing.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The potential benefit is that he longer feels the weight of the C and starts to perform better. The spotlight is off of him now.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya losing the C is what makes him look crappy :thumb:

Yeah he hasn't been good, us Kings fans know that, but why broadcast it out to the rest of the league?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he hasn't been good, us Kings fans know that, but why broadcast it out to the rest of the league?

I didn't think his suckiness was still a secret, I thought he is in writings and stuff

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is my question. Who decides the captancy? I know the coach has a say, but do the players. All the teams that I ever played for we voted. But that wasn't on a pro level.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is my question. Who decides the captancy? I know the coach has a say, but do the players. All the teams that I ever played for we voted. But that wasn't on a pro level.
Most teams the coach, GM and other management decide. They could decide to let the players do it. The fact it can be stripped shows it use the players choice.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most teams the coach, GM and other management decide. They could decide to let the players do it. The fact it can be stripped shows it use the players choice.

I'm thinking with the recent re-signing of Sutter, it's his call, and that explains the timing. I still think this is an inside dealing, and it was probably leaked.

I'm thinking Chris (Kings OT)