• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Purdy is not Joe Montana. But....

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
elite takes years but I've followed football long enough to see Purdy as being special pretty much from the start. The guy also is just a good MF'er. you can see this in his interviews.

Yep...I like him but I'm also the guy who cheers for Dak.

telling I know

Like I said, I'm a fan

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome...I'm sure in a few more seasons Purdy will be NFL Man of the Year too.

Probably Time Person of the Year if they don't give it to Taylor Swift again.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughed last night when I saw Purdy is currently the best odds to win MVP.

He’s done an excellent job, has a very bright future, but I couldn’t vote for him as MVP of his own team.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughed last night when I saw Purdy is currently the best odds to win MVP.

He’s done an excellent job, has a very bright future, but I couldn’t vote for him as MVP of his own team.
I’m on that page. It’s become a QB award. I think CMC and Tyreke Hill have a great argument this year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was not kidding
are you?

I'm kidding about the Time Person of the Year thing, of course. I have not given any thought about him winning NFL Man of the Year. I guess Purdy could win it one day if he does charitable work. I would guess that he does do that stuff, but I don't know.

The Niners have something called the Len Eshmont award for the most inspirational and courageous player. The players themselves are the voters. I'm thinking that Purdy has an excellent chance of getting that one day.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly have to wonder why Purdy is still so doubted by so many. Again, the guy isn't the second coming, but the criticisms of him just don't hold water.

--"yea, but wait until defenses get some tape on him"--that's DOA. Defenses have plenty of tape on him at this point.

--"next (this) year will really determine if he's any good"--his performance this years is is better than last season

--"it's the Shanny system that makes him look like this"--it's true that Shanny can scheme guys open for a lot of QBs, but not a lot of Qbs can process quickly/correctly enough to get the ball to the right place at the right time. I'll grant that he probably wouldn't be nearly as good in some systems, but he IS in this system and he DOES look this good. I doubt we'd see Herbert or Mahomes succeed in every system.

--"let's see how he does against playoff teams"--well, his stats over this year and last year destroy that issue. Combining his stats in his games against Dallas (twice), Philly, Miami, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Seattle (3 times), Cincy, Tampa, etc....his stats come out looking like a top 10 QB.

--"anyone could succeed at QB in SF"--tell that to Sam Darnold, Trey Lance, Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard, even Jimmy, etc. It was clear from the start that Purdy was MUCH better than Jimmy, and Jimmy was easily the best QB Shanny has had in his years at HC in SF. Shanny sure couldn't elevate Darnold or Lance to starting material. Yet Purdy has produced Pro Bowl numbers and put himself firmly in the MVP discussion.

Honestly, if you put Justin Herbert (still being a top 10 pick that the media seems to love) on the Niners and he produced identical stats to Purdy's, he'd be in everyone's MVP discussion, but for some reason, Purdy continues to be discounted. Having played a half dozen playoff teams this year, he leads the league in passer rating, QBR, completion %, yds per attempt, TD %, etc.

I'm not saying the guy has to win MVP. I'm saying that anyone that doesn't have him in their MVP discussion just doesn't know what they're talking about or else they have an ax to grind.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly have to wonder why Purdy is still so doubted by so many. Again, the guy isn't the second coming, but the criticisms of him just don't hold water.
It's all good...eagle fans changed their minds this week.

Purdy is now pretty good.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

--"yea, but wait until defenses get some tape on him"--that's DOA. Defenses have plenty of tape on him at this point.

--"next (this) year will really determine if he's any good"--his performance this years is is better than last season

--"it's the Shanny system that makes him look like this"--it's true that Shanny can scheme guys open for a lot of QBs, but not a lot of Qbs can process quickly/correctly enough to get the ball to the right place at the right time. I'll grant that he probably wouldn't be nearly as good in some systems, but he IS in this system and he DOES look this good. I doubt we'd see Herbert or Mahomes succeed in every system.

--"let's see how he does against playoff teams"--well, his stats over this year and last year destroy that issue. Combining his stats in his games against Dallas (twice), Philly, Miami, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Seattle (3 times), Cincy, Tampa, etc....his stats come out looking like a top 10 QB.

--"anyone could succeed at QB in SF"--tell that to Sam Darnold, Trey Lance, Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard, even Jimmy, etc. It was clear from the start that Purdy was MUCH better than Jimmy, and Jimmy was easily the best QB Shanny has had in his years at HC in SF. Shanny sure couldn't elevate Darnold or Lance to starting material. Yet Purdy has produced Pro Bowl numbers and put himself firmly in the MVP discussion.

Honestly, if you put Justin Herbert (still being a top 10 pick that the media seems to love) on the Niners and he produced identical stats to Purdy's, he'd be in everyone's MVP discussion, but for some reason, Purdy continues to be discounted. Having played a half dozen playoff teams this year, he leads the league in passer rating, QBR, completion %, yds per attempt, TD %, etc.

I'm not saying the guy has to win MVP. I'm saying that anyone that doesn't have him in their MVP discussion just doesn't know what they're talking about or else they have an ax to grind.

Maybe it's the look. Justin Herbert looks like an NFL QB. Purdy doesn't.

The Niners literally caught a lucky break. Jimmy G. breaks his foot and in steps someone who is twice as good as Jimmy G. and twice as good as the guy that the Niners thought would be the next QB (Lance).

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah I don’t understand slamming the guy because his team has weapons. Duh. That’s supposed to be the fucking point haha. Purdy still has to make decisions, set protections, hang in the pocket, extend plays, and deliver the football with accuracy on time. If it’s so easy why haven’t other Niners QBs had this success? CMC is a cheat code but the run game in SF has always been stout. Additionally, Purdy may have great skill people, but outside of Trent Williams his OL is rather pedestrian.
The he has weapons argument is such a lazy one.

Every QBs production goes up or down based on who they are throwing it to and who's calling the plays.

The Chiefs' offense is having it's worst season under Mahomes so is anyone going to argue that Mahomes was only good because of his weapons and Eric Bieniemy as a coach?

I think the difficult part people have with Purdy is that it's really difficult to appreciate the mental aspect of QBing. For example against the Eagles one of the short throws that Deebo cashed in for a TD on the surface just looked like he threw an easy throw to an open Deebo that did all the work but it was actually his 4th read on the play. Of course he makes mistakes but he almost always throws on time to the right guy and I don't think people understand that isn't an easy thing to do as a QB.

While Shanahan's system does boost a QB but it also punishes a QB as well. The weakest part of Shanahan's offense is the drop-back passing attack. Shanahan's strength is creating smoke and mirrors and keeping a defense guessing and hesitating. This is the main reason the offensive line functions is the scheme gives it favorable angles and matchups because they aren't fully committed to a direction because they don't know where to go. The reason why this offense struggles when it's down 8+ points in the 4th where Shanahan is 0 for 30 something is once a defense can ignore all the misdirection and motion and just attack the QB the offensive line aside from Williams can't hold up for one and two Shanahan's best plays are all the smoke and mirrors plays not regular passing plays. So in some ways it's not necessarily that Purdy can't come back from being down but the offense at it's core isn't designed to do it.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The he has weapons argument is such a lazy one.

Every QBs production goes up or down based on who they are throwing it to and who's calling the plays.
Agreed.
Every great QB had an awesome supporting cast.
Its part of what gave them that great resume. Minus maybe Dan Marino. Who is also minus some of that resume.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m on that page. It’s become a QB award. I think CMC and Tyreke Hill have a great argument this year.
I agree it's now a QB award and other players can have better seasons but are they really the MVP? I'm not sure you can make the argument that Purdy, or whoever is the best QB that year, isn't more valuable than any receiver.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it's now a QB award and other players can have better seasons but are they really the MVP? I'm not sure you can make the argument that Purdy, or whoever is the best QB that year, isn't more valuable than any receiver.
That’s fair. It’s arguably the most important position in sports. It’s funny but I was just posting a similar sentiment on QB in a comment in the rebuilding thread. The nature of the position lends itself to being a QB award. This season feels a little different though. If there’s a season where you can divert from that established norm it’s this one. CMC’s versatility in the run game and the pass game is a game changer. His ability to get down hill helps his OL. The attention he gets as a RB in the pass game is something that we haven’t seen much since Faulk and the greatest show on turf. That makes the other pass catching weapons a tick more dangerous. For Tyreke, he draws that same kind of attention from the defense and yet he’s still on pace for a record breaking season. Both teams have a strong chance to be a number one seed. That’s another important component to winning the award…your team has to be one of the best in the league.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s fair. It’s arguably the most important position in sports. It’s funny but I was just posting a similar sentiment on QB in a comment in the rebuilding thread. The nature of the position lends itself to being a QB award. This season feels a little different though. If there’s a season where you can divert from that established norm it’s this one. CMC’s versatility in the run game and the pass game is a game changer. His ability to get down hill helps his OL. The attention he gets as a RB in the pass game is something that we haven’t seen much since Faulk and the greatest show on turf. That makes the other pass catching weapons a tick more dangerous. For Tyreke, he draws that same kind of attention from the defense and yet he’s still on pace for a record breaking season. Both teams have a strong chance to be a number one seed. That’s another important component to winning the award…your team has to be one of the best in the league.

No doubt it almost always comes from a top team, how can you be the league MVP if your team finishes 3 games below .500? And as much as I love the players you mentioned if your starting QB is replaced by the backup that has a much larger affect on the team than losing a star position player. Hence the QB is almost always the MVP. I wish they would come up with another award Player of the Year in addition to MVP, not broken down by defensive and offensive just one award.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt it almost always comes from a top team, how can you be the league MVP if your team finishes 3 games below .500? And as much as I love the players you mentioned if your starting QB is replaced by the backup that has a much larger affect on the team than losing a star position player. Hence the QB is almost always the MVP. I wish they would come up with another award Player of the Year in addition to MVP, not broken down by defensive and offensive just one award.
Yeah that would be solid.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not Joe Montana but Joe is in the title of the thread. How about he gets his team past the NFCCG first before we praise the kid. He has the most talented team around him by a good margin. He's played well for one half of season.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not Joe Montana but Joe is in the title of the thread. How about he gets his team past the NFCCG first before we praise the kid. He has the most talented team around him by a good margin. He's played well for one half of season.
Hes played well ever since they started him. He was undefeated in the regular season last year for like 7-8 games and his team is 9-3 now. That’s like 16/17-3.