• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Purdy is not Joe Montana. But....

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been known to call him, Brock Montana. I think he stays calm and handles pressure well. I haven’t seen him point to something in the crowd and say “check it out” and then throw a bomb for a winner, but I tend to think he’s closer to Joe Montana than Steve Young.

It fits. He's so smart and has great vision like Joe. Also like Joe, he doesn't have a big arm, but he scrambles well. He sees things a split second faster than Jimmy G. The perfect touch he put on the pass that hit McCaffrey perfectly in stride is something that Joe would do.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It fits. He's so smart and has great vision like Joe. Also like Joe, he doesn't have a big arm, but he scrambles well. He sees things a split second faster than Jimmy G. The perfect touch he put on the pass that hit McCaffrey perfectly in stride is something that Joe would do.
Brees too

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I feel the whole system QB thing should be put to bed at this point.

It's fair to question if he's truly what you call elite or an MVP candidate but it's obvious at this point he plays the position at a high level regardless of the other factors around him.

What he ultimately becomes we'll see as he's basically only got a season's worth of games under his belt so why I don't think he has this massive ceiling for growth since he came into the league with a lot of college experience I do think he has room to grow and I'll be curious to see what he looks like next season a year removed from his recovery with his arm injury and another year of experience.

I do find it a bit funny with all the talk how Lamarr Jackson was going to be the future of the QB with dynamic ability with his legs and arms it seems like the trend with guys like Purdy, Stroud, and Tua is going for the guy with decent athletic traits but has the ability to read defenses quickly and correctly and get the ball accurately and on time to their receivers.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this, he's off to a really good start to his career and playing well but I'm not going to compare him to any great QBs of the past for now. That's not a knock against him, let's see how he full develops in the next couple of years. As a Hawks fan, I'd take Purdy in a heart beat.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do find it a bit funny with all the talk how Lamarr Jackson was going to be the future of the QB with dynamic ability with his legs and arms it seems like the trend with guys like Purdy, Stroud, and Tua is going for the guy with decent athletic traits but has the ability to read defenses quickly and correctly and get the ball accurately and on time to their receivers.

Not sure Tua really fits that description. He's still more of a one or two read QB, likely why Miami only beats the bad teams.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, still not buying in on him like others are.

Purdy having best odds for MVP right now is a joke considering what Tyreek Hill is doing this year.

Purdy isn't his own team's MVP.

I'd take him over Geno for sure but that just means he's a competent NFL QB.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...if Joe Montana's teams were playing today people would say the same stuff:

- Doesn't have a big arm
- Kind of smallish (1.5 inches taller than Purdy)
- Not a high draft pick (3rd round #82)
- Gets all his yards from Jerry Rice YAC, short passes (this is actually BS even as a fact...Purdy's % of yards from YAC is around the same as every other good QB)
- Has a great team/system/coach around him

Just sayin'
Won 4 Super Bowls...well, maybe not that one

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won 4 Super Bowls...well, maybe not that one
Not in his first two years he didn't

Montana was a 2nd year player too once.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...if Joe Montana's teams were playing today people would say the same stuff:

- Doesn't have a big arm
- Kind of smallish (1.5 inches taller than Purdy)
- Not a high draft pick (3rd round #82)
- Gets all his yards from Jerry Rice YAC, short passes (this is actually BS even as a fact...Purdy's % of yards from YAC is around the same as every other good QB)
- Has a great team/system/coach around him

Just sayin'
A lot of commonalities for sure. However, Montana played major college football and was a winner prior to coming to the NFL. Montana was also an incredible QB late in games down points. Purdy hasn’t gotten that opportunity much yet.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,406.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana won multiple Super Bowls and was AP like three times before Rice ever got to the NFL.

Comparing Purdy to Joe Cool is about as good as comparing Aiyuk to Rice.

With no disrespect to Aiyuk or Purdy.
This.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of commonalities for sure. However, Montana played major college football and was a winner prior to coming to the NFL. Montana was also an incredible QB late in games down points. Purdy hasn’t gotten that opportunity much yet.
Sure and I really meant it in the title, he's NOT Montana and probably won't have that kind of career. I was more commenting on how sports are dissected now. Those are exactly the kinds of things they'd be saying about Montana if he played today.

A more likely comp is Drew Brees. But it's still early, he may end up having a great career, he may fizzle in a few years or when the team he's on isn't great. Football is the ultimate team sport though, all QBs look a lot better on good teams with good coaches. He clearly has something so many other young QBs lack, even the ones drafted in the 1st round. That should lead to at least a good career and maybe great.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Minshew McCaffery and he is Patrick Mahomes
Some truth to this...what does Purdy look like if he was the QB for the Raiders or Panthers or Patriots today?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure and I really meant it in the title, he's NOT Montana and probably won't have that kind of career. I was more commenting on how sports are dissected now. Those are exactly the kinds of things they'd be saying about Montana if he played today.

A more likely comp is Drew Brees. But it's still early, he may end up having a great career, he may fizzle in a few years or when the team he's on isn't great. Football is the ultimate team sport though, all QBs look a lot better on good teams with good coaches. He clearly has something so many other young QBs lack, even the ones drafted in the 1st round. That should lead to at least a good career and maybe great.
Yeah I don’t understand slamming the guy because his team has weapons. Duh. That’s supposed to be the fucking point haha. Purdy still has to make decisions, set protections, hang in the pocket, extend plays, and deliver the football with accuracy on time. If it’s so easy why haven’t other Niners QBs had this success? CMC is a cheat code but the run game in SF has always been stout. Additionally, Purdy may have great skill people, but outside of Trent Williams his OL is rather pedestrian.