• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandon Marshall

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact here's what really annoys me. I almost feel a tiny amount of sympathy for Joey on this one. Tiny. Because the problem with a lot of Cutler critics is they observe the result without understanding the reason. Well you know what? The reason is pretty damn important. If you are going to criticize Cutler, it seems pretty obvious to me that his main issue is his decision making to throw into questionable coverage. Thatt's WHY he throws interceptions. Well that and his frequent horrible technique. So along comes Clausen...who if nothing else, played about the most anti-Cutler game you can imagine, playing carefully, not making stupid throws, and some of the people who can't stand Cutler are critical of this.

It's incredibly inconsistent. For Clausen to have thrown into the teeth of that coverage would have been suicide. For ANYONE to have thrown into that coverage would have been suicide. I think it's likely Cutler would have had 3 picks that day, because we all know he would have forced the issue. So either you want your QB to take risks, and are willing to live with the consequences, or you aren't. To try to have it both ways is just the definition of hypocrisy and trying to have it both ways.

Make up your minds.

We had nothing to lose..... Especially when you're down and have not done anything all day..... Air the ball out.Isn't that how a team is suppose to catch up?

But then again,I still say the coaches wanted to control how bad we were gonna get beat....

C

cubzzzfanincali

Not all of us Cali. In the beginning Cutler was coddled and no threats to his job was brought in to compete. Things are very different now. We are not worried about hurt feelings with Cutler anymore. We simply have not been able to find better QBs to bring in too compete with Jay. If we could we would. AI was right 1 year ago, but today he is wrong.

I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T bring in someone to compete with Jay, but that has happened so far. I don't think that's why either Clausen or Fales are here.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all of us Cali. In the beginning Cutler was coddled and no threats to his job was brought in to compete. Things are very different now. We are not worried about hurt feelings with Cutler anymore. We simply have not been able to find better QBs to bring in too compete with Jay. If we could we would. AI was right 1 year ago, but today he is wrong.

I can accept that, but first year new regime, I think they are giving Jay every opportunity to show them that he deserves to be on the pedestal. Next year we will hear that its the second year in this new system (as long as Gase is not hired as a HC or fired) or be hearing its the 8th different offense he had to learn and we still probably wont get a competitive backup here. But if its same system next year we will still probably hear of a Mettenberger type that still has plenty to prove, or possibly learning Fales is competent and having him behind Jay, but that will only happen if Jay is hurt again.

All I have stuck with all these years is Jay is most comfortable with no competition, or with a McCown that knows what to say and when to sit. The last guy that was a name was Jason Campbell and he was pretty much ignored on the sidelines. They cant have Jay shutting down like that again either, which is why a clean break is probably best for everyone if they do decide to replace him or even bring in competition.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can accept that, but first year new regime, I think they are giving Jay every opportunity to show them that he deserves to be on the pedestal. Next year we will hear that its the second year in this new system (as long as Gase is not hired as a HC or fired) or be hearing its the 8th different offense he had to learn and we still probably wont get a competitive backup here. But if its same system next year we will still probably hear of a Mettenberger type that still has plenty to prove, or possibly learning Fales is competent and having him behind Jay, but that will only happen if Jay is hurt again.

All I have stuck with all these years is Jay is most comfortable with no competition, or with a McCown that knows what to say and when to sit. The last guy that was a name was Jason Campbell and he was pretty much ignored on the sidelines. They cant have Jay shutting down like that again either, which is why a clean break is probably best for everyone if they do decide to replace him or even bring in competition.

All that is just more hogwash excuses..... They need to figure what's best for this team and cut ties with Jay.
He is not getting any younger and he will NEVER lead us to a SB, unless we come up with n elite defense that will be ranked among the best ever.

Ask yourselves this, could Jay lead the Pack or NE to a SB?

If you said yes, you're fooling your self.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that is just more hogwash excuses..... They need to figure what's best for this team and cut ties with Jay.
He is not getting any younger and he will NEVER lead us to a SB, unless we come up with n elite defense that will be ranked among the best ever.

Ask yourselves this, could Jay lead the Pack or NE to a SB?

If you said yes, you're fooling your self.
All true but Jay is the best we can do today. He is good enough to win on a good team. He won't be the reason. I'm back to backing Jay. He is the best we can do right now and I bet next year too. I won't cry we we upgrade and we need too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T bring in someone to compete with Jay, but that has happened so far. I don't think that's why either Clausen or Fales are here.
I agree with that. Altho as much as Fox has seen Jimmy I scratch my head on why he is here. No I don't think the reason he is here is Cutler. But Fox's judgement is in question. Is it because Fox drafted him?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true but Jay is the best we can do today. He is good enough to win on a good team. He won't be the reason. I'm back to backing Jay. He is the best we can do right now and I bet next year too. I won't cry we we upgrade and we need too.

We've had those good teams...... And he still threw those ill advised passes and gets supposedly hurt in his biggest game ever.
He would have to have a defense for thru ages to be able to win the coveted trophy.....
And I do not care if he is the bet we have now, its not god enough.
The only way we get better than ,is to TRY and find that guy..... And I don't know when that will happen, but we have to look.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Cribbs, Brandon Lloyd, Robert Meachem, there are veteran receivers out there, have any been in for a tryout even? Does not look like there is much interest throwing to anyone on the field other than Forte.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Cribbs, Brandon Lloyd, Robert Meachem, there are veteran receivers out there, have any been in for a tryout even? Does not look like there is much interest throwing to anyone on the field other than Forte.
How was today's game? After a comment like that? Lol

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How was today's game? After a comment like that? Lol
if we had better receivers it would have been over at half time and Jay would not have had what was it 20 incompletions?

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I do not care if he is the bet we have now, its not god enough.
The only way we get better than ,is to TRY and find that guy..... And I don't know when that will happen, but we have to look.

I have no problem with them doing that. Thoroughly evaluate prospects that can reasonably be acquired based on draft position. Once reasonable doubt subsides on whoever the next QB is, only then does it makes sense to part ways with Cutler.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I have no problem with them doing that. Thoroughly evaluate prospects that can reasonably be acquired based on draft position. Once reasonable doubt subsides on whoever the next QB is, only then does it makes sense to part ways with Cutler.

With all due respect blh, while I always appreciate your take on things, I disagree with you. If the Bears were to have an opportunity to trade Cutler for a good draft haul, I would hope they would do that in a heartbeat. I don't think that's going to happen, given most of the league doesn't consider him worth high picks, but if the offer came up, they should take it.

This bears repeating: the Bears are not on the verge of winning a Super Bowl, and they will never win one while he is here. So there's no overriding reason to hope to squeeze out 10 wins if everything goes well so you hold off opening up the most important position or the future of the team. So holding onto Cutler - until the obvious, proven replacement is already on the field and making throws - is foolish.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, yer hoping he shit's the bed, so they MAY get someone of equal or greater value?

I can't root for them to lose. It's not in my DNA.

C

cubzzzfanincali

So, yer hoping he shit's the bed, so they MAY get someone of equal or greater value?

I can't root for them to lose. It's not in my DNA.

No, the opposite. The better he does, the more likely some team overvalues him. But this is all mythical and wishful thinking.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect blh, while I always appreciate your take on things, I disagree with you. If the Bears were to have an opportunity to trade Cutler for a good draft haul, I would hope they would do that in a heartbeat. I don't think that's going to happen, given most of the league doesn't consider him worth high picks, but if the offer came up, they should take it.

This bears repeating: the Bears are not on the verge of winning a Super Bowl, and they will never win one while he is here. So there's no overriding reason to hope to squeeze out 10 wins if everything goes well so you hold off opening up the most important position or the future of the team. So holding onto Cutler - until the obvious, proven replacement is already on the field and making throws - is foolish.

Trade him for a draft haul? I dont really consider that a realistic option, but Id probably be on board with that. It sounds like youre okay with them risking taking a step back by parting ways with him altogether, in order to take two steps forward. Thats perfectly fair, but I just dont think it has to go down that way. As frustrated as we get with Cutler at times, its very possible to be worse off without him. Maybe its my shuddering when I think of the decades of QBs weve seen prior to Cutlers arrival thats formed my opinion, lol. The only thing I would still caveat is the shape of the defense should this happen. I really dont like the idea of throwing an inexperienced QB in as starter if hes backed with the defenses we saw in 2013 and 2014....but Id still probably overlook that with your trade scenario. Perhaps the arrow is pointing up on the defensive side. Theyve played considerably better weeks 3-5.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Trade him for a draft haul? I dont really consider that a realistic option, but Id probably be on board with that. It sounds like youre okay with them risking taking a step back by parting ways with him altogether, in order to take two steps forward. Thats perfectly fair, but I just dont think it has to go down that way. As frustrated as we get with Cutler at times, its very possible to be worse off without him. Maybe its my shuddering when I think of the decades of QBs weve seen prior to Cutlers arrival thats formed my opinion, lol. The only thing I would still caveat is the shape of the defense should this happen. I really dont like the idea of throwing an inexperienced QB in as starter if hes backed with the defenses we saw in 2013 and 2014....but Id still probably overlook that with your trade scenario. Perhaps the arrow is pointing up on the defensive side. Theyve played considerably better weeks 3-5.

I don't think he would net much. If we were lucky a 2nd rounder and maybe some gravy extra mid rounder. And at this point, that would be fine with me.

But the more important point you raised was this: "It sounds like youre okay with them risking taking a step back..." THIS is the critical point. I guess the point is that "yes, I am okay with that." The NFL - when it comes to the quarterback position - is not like building a house, brick by brick, and you move on to floor 3 after floor 2 is nice and solidly built. The only thing ....really the only thing at all ... I care about is winning a Super Bowl. That's it. I don't care about us being 5-11 without Cutler but maybe we can be 9-7 more 10-6 with him so that we can get knocked out in the wild card round. I don't care about that at all. I would rather have the Bears suck ass if it meant we get to a Super Bowl win sooner. Don't get me wrong, I would rather see the Bears do better in an individual season than not. But if some B+ grade regular season success doesn't reflect a Super Bowl grade roster, what difference does that make?

Let me give you a recent, specific example. The 2010 season. That team sported a good record, and they were a good team. But they were not a great team, they weren't a Super Bowl winning grade team, and the Packers clearly showed that. We wouldn't have won that game if Cutler had stayed healthy. So what good was all of that? That season HARMED the team in the long run, because it caused us to stick with too many guys too long afterwards which basically hurt the necessary remake of the team because we thought they were better than they were. Forget this. You need to focus on the overall quality of the entire roster, and you have to take chances at QB until there's a guy in there who doesn't suck but also won't reliably take your team out of at least one out of every 3 or 4 games (and often more frequently than that). Until those things happen, this team will not win a Super Bowl. I don't care how many 10-6 seasons we do or don't have.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing ....really the only thing at all ... I care about is winning a Super Bowl. That's it. I don't care about us being 5-11 without Cutler but maybe we can be 9-7 more 10-6 with him so that we can get knocked out in the wild card round. I don't care about that at all. I would rather have the Bears suck ass if it meant we get to a Super Bowl win sooner. Don't get me wrong, I would rather see the Bears do better in an individual season than not. But if some B+ grade regular season success doesn't reflect a Super Bowl grade roster, what difference does that make?

Winning the SB is what counts. That cant be denied. I really do understand what your saying, and Its quite possible it may come to that in order to grab the prize( which we do agree thats what counts at the end of the day). It will certainly test my more conservative nature, lol.