• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Box Office 2014

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer box-office slump: Is Hollywood losing America? | Inside Movies | EW.com

The most recent weekend, which witnessed Dawn of the Planet of the Apes repeat as the top movie, was trailing the same weekend last year by almost 25 percent. July is down more than 30 percent year-to-year, and the summer as a whole is down almost 19 percent from last year.....

Comparing 24 major releases from 2013—ranging from The Great Gatsby to R.I.P.D.—to 23 of this year’s films, opening-night audiences preferred last year’s slate… but just barely. Crunching the letter grades into a collegiate GPA, last year’s films scored a 3.45; this year’s movies graded out at 3.44. Critics, on the other hand, came down on the side of 2014, which scored an average Metacritic rating of 53.8, more than two points higher than last year’s crop of blockbusters.

So, moviegoers like the product just as much when they go, and critics actually like the new product even better. Yet here we are on July 21, with the summer down double-digits and Guardians of the Galaxy the industry’s last great hope to salvage the season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are we looking at a downward trend, a trend away from Americans being the target audience or just a one year hiccup?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quality of movies & the increase cost of going to movies is the reason for decrease. They keep regurgitating the same movies over & over. Or the same people keep staring in the same themed movies.

Comedies are really bad at this. You've got Adam Sandler & his crew, Seth Rogan & his crew, & Will Ferrell & his crew churning out the basically the same comedy movies every few months.

Action movies are caught up in sequels & trying to "Michael Bay" every action movie.

Plus the internet allow people who were on this fence about seeing a movie in theater, to get reviews or catch illegal streams to get a better idea if it is worth spending $20+ for 2 hours of "entertainment".

Synopsis: Overall, movies have been pretty terrible outside of the blockbuster films.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hollywood sucks. Nothing but a bunch of homos. I'm not giving them my money.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quality of movies & the increase cost of going to movies is the reason for decrease. They keep regurgitating the same movies over & over. Or the same people keep staring in the same themed movies.

Comedies are really bad at this. You've got Adam Sandler & his crew, Seth Rogan & his crew, & Will Ferrell & his crew churning out the basically the same comedy movies every few months.

Action movies are caught up in sequels & trying to "Michael Bay" every action movie.

Plus the internet allow people who were on this fence about seeing a movie in theater, to get reviews or catch illegal streams to get a better idea if it is worth spending $20+ for 2 hours of "entertainment".

Synopsis: Overall, movies have been pretty terrible outside of the blockbuster films.
I.....can't really disagree. There are so many good movies out there and so many TV shows out there and I can watch them without throwing a ton of money to see something in the theater

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Digital Media, overpricing, same recycled bullshit/lack of originality = a dying medium.

Give us a reason to go. The novelty of just "going to the movies" has completely worn off. It's just way too expensive. That's the main issue.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer box-office slump: Is Hollywood losing America? | Inside Movies | EW.com

The most recent weekend, which witnessed Dawn of the Planet of the Apes repeat as the top movie, was trailing the same weekend last year by almost 25 percent. July is down more than 30 percent year-to-year, and the summer as a whole is down almost 19 percent from last year.....

Comparing 24 major releases from 2013—ranging from The Great Gatsby to R.I.P.D.—to 23 of this year’s films, opening-night audiences preferred last year’s slate… but just barely. Crunching the letter grades into a collegiate GPA, last year’s films scored a 3.45; this year’s movies graded out at 3.44. Critics, on the other hand, came down on the side of 2014, which scored an average Metacritic rating of 53.8, more than two points higher than last year’s crop of blockbusters.

So, moviegoers like the product just as much when they go, and critics actually like the new product even better. Yet here we are on July 21, with the summer down double-digits and Guardians of the Galaxy the industry’s last great hope to salvage the season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are we looking at a downward trend, a trend away from Americans being the target audience or just a one year hiccup?

I think this is the result of the rise of the devices and Netflix on the one hand and the costs of going to a theater on the other.

With the costs of going out to a movie skyrocketing, why not wait 30-45 days to get it on HD at a fraction of the cost, or on your tablet or phone, or at a Netflix red box?

I'd like to see them factor in the post release revenue to get a better picture of consumption.
Bottom line is that they are getting too greedy at the box office.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They make very few good movies nowadays. They rely heavily on special effects.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I.....can't really disagree. There are so many good movies out there and so many TV shows out there and I can watch them without throwing a ton of money to see something in the theater
So many good movies? Are you being sarcastic?

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They make very few good movies nowadays. They rely heavily on special effects.

I'm bracing myself for how disappointed I'm gonna be in the next Jurassic Park.

The first one blows any bullshit, major budget CGI based film out of the water.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can find other things I'd rather do for $20+ than see a mediocre movie. There are too many live events out there for that price that will giver more entertainment for the value.

To add to that, as was stated already, digital media & home entertainment is a big reason also. Many homes nowadays have 60" TVs with a home theater sound system. For $20, I can order a pizza, get some candy, & get a few movie from redbox that could last me the whole day. Or you could order a movie through your digital media box. Wait 3 months & most movies are available to watched at home.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, that is way deep.

The insight. The intellect. The sheer brilliance. The origin of the post:

Trailerpark-Stack.jpg

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can find other things I'd rather do for $20+ than see a mediocre movie. There are too many live events out there for that price that will giver more entertainment for the value.

To add to that, as was stated already, digital media & home entertainment is a big reason also. Many homes nowadays have 60" TVs with a home theater sound system. For $20, I can order a pizza, get some candy, & get a few movie from redbox that could last me the whole day. Or you could order a movie through your digital media box. Wait 3 months & most movies are available to watched at home.

This is true about the $20. You can pay cover at several clubs with live bands.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The $20 thing is the result of you living in a suburban hellhole where all the theaters are owned by chains who use the fact that the movie companies wont let you build a small theater today to charge well above free market rates.

Here in St. Louis, I can walk or ride a train to 5 movie theaters in a matter of minutes. Three of them are one screen. All of them are old. None of them charge over $8 (less for me as a student). They all seem to do well.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully this shit motivates the industry to make real shit. There's no room for recycled garbage. You have to actually try if you want to draw people out of their homes and pay the absurd amount needed just to view a new film.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry buy I have zero desire to see another fucking Spiderman movie, or another Planet of the Apes, or another Transformers, or another Batman.

It's like nobody with any money or power has the balls to make anything even remotely new and interesting, and when they do come along it's one every 3-4 months at the very best.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry buy I have zero desire to see another fucking Spiderman movie, or another Planet of the Apes, or another Transformers, or another Batman.

It's like nobody with any money or power has the balls to make anything even remotely new and interesting, and when they do come along it's one every 3-4 months at the very best.

They pushed back the new Spiderman cash cow another 4 years.