• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl Games thread (2023-24)

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU may not have had the better team anyways, but let's not kid ourselves. FSU was decimated compared to UGA. 3rd string QB and all key players gone... game was over before it started. And I think Smart even addressed this in an interview after the game.

I guess the point is one really can't say what the result would have been.

Seen teams lose a key player and the backup do just fine, or even better.

Seen teams fall apart with everyone on the roster.

This game was indicative of nothing but the team THAT day. Doesn't mean FSU would have fallen apart in the playoff, doesn't mean they wouldn't.

I would have placed them as the 4th team but that just me. I don't see this game as a vindication that the committee got it right.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the point is one really can't say what the result would have been.

Seen teams lose a key player and the backup do just fine, or even better.

Seen teams fall apart with everyone on the roster.

This game was indicative of nothing but the team THAT day. Doesn't mean FSU would have fallen apart in the playoff, doesn't mean they wouldn't.

I would have placed them as the 4th team but that just me. I don't see this game as a vindication that the committee got it right.

Agree.. and the current system is responsible for this mess. I do place some fault on the players who all jumped ship the minute FSU didn't get an invite to the playoffs, but there should be rules in place to discourage this from happening.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, your team played the same style of ball against PSU.... nothing dangerous, just continued to pound the ball down PSU's throat. No need to do anything more against teams that know have no chance of beating you. And I'm sure that had a lot to do w/what could be considered lack-luster play.

I think they were also looking to protect McCarthy in that game. Same with Iowa, no need to give that defense opportunities to beat you. Michigan also took advantage of 3rd and longs with run plays. It does feel like Michigan didn't take many games that seriously... also felt that way in 2022

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.. and the current system is responsible for this mess. I do place some fault on the players who all jumped ship the minute FSU didn't get an invite to the playoffs, but there should be rules in place to discourage this from happening.
i think uga,s beating of fsu shows they were,nt playoff worthy

LyquidMetal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And last year Bryce Young and Will Anderson played in the bowl even though they could have opted out.
Well, coaching culture and the mercenaries of nil and the portal.

BAMA has an established culture with Saban being there for so long and stamping his personality on the program.

Norvell is fairly new at FSU(rhyme?) and not sure he is that well established yet.

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, coaching culture and the mercenaries of nil and the portal.

BAMA has an established culture with Saban being there for so long and stamping his personality on the program.

Norvell is fairly new at FSU(rhyme?) and not sure he is that well established yet.

We have 5 going into the portal so even we arent immune.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit…..

“The Seminoles played without their top two quarterbacks, top two running backs, top two receivers, starting tight end, three starting defensive linemen, two of three starting linebackers and three starting defensive backs. They were down 29 scholarship players in all.”

I had no idea it was that bad.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (January 1st- Non CFP games)

So you guys have done a through job covering that debacle in the Orange Bowl. Well, that's nothing compared to what will happen today. Because we're gonna have 2 debacles in the CFP semifinals. And I see Texas wearing down Washington in the Sugar Bowl, and Michigan to tragically fall short against the Tide.

As for the other 3 games, here you go (All times are Eastern):

Reliaquest Bowl: Wisconsin vs. LSU [12:00, ESPN2] (Is LSU ready to play with Garrett Nussmeier at QB? We'll find out, as he'll step in for the Tigers today in Tampa? But what about the Badgers? Well, we have Luke Finkell matching wits with Brian Kelly, so things should be even in the coaching department. And will Wisconsin have Braelon Allen playing for them? No? Well, that settles it!)
My prediction: LSU 28-21

Citrus Bowl: Tennessee vs. Iowa [1:00, ABC] (Now for THIS Big 10 vs. SEC matchup, things look good. It's the defensive-minded Hawkeyes of Iowa, taking on a Tennessee team that has a great offense. Trouble is, Tennessee is without QB Joe Milton and RB Jaylen Wright for this game. So what will ultimately decide the game? Well, Tennessee's defense is not as bad as people would think...)
My prediction: TENNESSEE 22-14

Vrbo Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Liberty [1:00, ESPN]
(On the last "New Year's Six" bowl game we saw, the score ended up being 63-3. Considering the 20+ point spread here, Vegas sharks are expecting Liberty to melt under the rugged glow of Bo Nix and the Oregon Ducks. But don't forget! Liberty's offense is really good! They've had a month to figure out how to stop Bo Nix and get around the Ducks defense. More importantly, they're carrying the banner of Conference USA into this game, and they want it to mean something!)
My prediction: Oregon 45-38 (Trust me, folks. This game will NOT be the blowout everyone is expecting.)
...and I'm done! All the bowl games have been picked! ...But considering the up-and-down prediction records I've been having recently, maybe it'll strike in the CFP semifinals and teams like Michigan and Washington will benefit. Here's to hope!

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very satisfying seeing Oregon handle Liberty easily - fuck the religious loonies of Liberty.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit…..

“The Seminoles played without their top two quarterbacks, top two running backs, top two receivers, starting tight end, three starting defensive linemen, two of three starting linebackers and three starting defensive backs. They were down 29 scholarship players in all.”

I had no idea it was that bad.
it showed,early and often

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear god the Big 10 is trash. Like I knew they were week but at this rate I won’t be surprised if Bama beats Michigan by 3 scores.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (January 1st- Non CFP games)

So you guys have done a through job covering that debacle in the Orange Bowl. Well, that's nothing compared to what will happen today. Because we're gonna have 2 debacles in the CFP semifinals. And I see Texas wearing down Washington in the Sugar Bowl, and Michigan to tragically fall short against the Tide.

As for the other 3 games, here you go (All times are Eastern):

Reliaquest Bowl: Wisconsin vs. LSU [12:00, ESPN2] (Is LSU ready to play with Garrett Nussmeier at QB? We'll find out, as he'll step in for the Tigers today in Tampa? But what about the Badgers? Well, we have Luke Finkell matching wits with Brian Kelly, so things should be even in the coaching department. And will Wisconsin have Braelon Allen playing for them? No? Well, that settles it!)
My prediction: LSU 28-21

Citrus Bowl: Tennessee vs. Iowa [1:00, ABC] (Now for THIS Big 10 vs. SEC matchup, things look good. It's the defensive-minded Hawkeyes of Iowa, taking on a Tennessee team that has a great offense. Trouble is, Tennessee is without QB Joe Milton and RB Jaylen Wright for this game. So what will ultimately decide the game? Well, Tennessee's defense is not as bad as people would think...)
My prediction: TENNESSEE 22-14

Vrbo Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Liberty [1:00, ESPN]
(On the last "New Year's Six" bowl game we saw, the score ended up being 63-3. Considering the 20+ point spread here, Vegas sharks are expecting Liberty to melt under the rugged glow of Bo Nix and the Oregon Ducks. But don't forget! Liberty's offense is really good! They've had a month to figure out how to stop Bo Nix and get around the Ducks defense. More importantly, they're carrying the banner of Conference USA into this game, and they want it to mean something!)
My prediction: Oregon 45-38 (Trust me, folks. This game will NOT be the blowout everyone is expecting.)
...and I'm done! All the bowl games have been picked! ...But considering the up-and-down prediction records I've been having recently, maybe it'll strike in the CFP semifinals and teams like Michigan and Washington will benefit. Here's to hope!
Whoops

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think uga,s beating of fsu shows they were,nt playoff worthy

You're not understanding this. The FSU you saw play UGA wasn't even the same team. Most teams had some players opt out, but not 25! So we'll never actually know if FSU could have played up w/UGA.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
January 1st bowl recap
Very satisfying seeing Oregon handle Liberty easily - fuck the religious loonies of Liberty.
*sigh* Yeah, this guy was right. I was hoping that the Fiesta Bowl would be a good game, but that was just wishful thinking by me. The Citrus Bowl was also bad, as Tennessee made mincemeat of Iowa.

Oh well. At least the Reliaquest Bowl was really good!

And finally, just know that I got both of my CFP semifinal picks wrong. And I'm delighted about it. YEAH!

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was rooting for Liberty, but having watched a few of their games this year, it was easy to see they were not near Oregon's level going into the game. I was just hoping they could keep it relatively close for most the game. That didn't happen. Oh well! 13-1 is a pretty impressive record for a program as young as Liberty. We'll see if it was just a fluke these next few seasons.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan wins it all!
Sorry that I didn't give you guys a national title pick yesterday. Mostly because I was worried about this big winter storm coming for us, but partly because I didn't want to jinx my preseason title pick (I was gonna pick Michigan to win... and with the way my bowl predictions have been lately, it probably would have gone wrong).
Call it cowardly...

...but it worked! And now with Michigan on top, wave good-bye to college football as you knew it... because now it's gone.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear god the Big 10 is trash. Like I knew they were week but at this rate I won’t be surprised if Bama beats Michigan by 3 scores.

Why do people still measure conference strength by non playoff bowl game results? That has been a faulty measurement for several years now.