• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks vs Kings Round 3

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, somehow the Hawks pulled off the miracle and advanced to the Western Conference Finals after trailing the previous series 3-1.

Questions for the Hawks in the WCF against the Los Angeles Kings:

1 Will the Hawks be able to counteract the physicality of the Kings? Look for even more physical play from a very big very physical Kings team.

2 Will Toews and Kane actually play a larger role in the offense? Luckily, the Hawks role players have picked up the scoring slack in the playoffs. But at some time, your best players have to be just that...the best players on the ice.

3 Can Corey Crawford match Jonathon Quick save vs save? Crawford's been great, probably playing the best of his young career. But Quick is a stud in goal.

4 Can the Hawks get in Quick's head by scoring more than a couple of goals a game?

5 Can the Hawks get Darryl Sutter to continue with that putty face frown of his?

6 Will the back to back games in Chicago in Games 1 and 2 help or hurt the Hawks? Figure the Hawks, as all teams, have to hold serve and keep home ice.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 Will the Hawks be able to counteract the physicality of the Kings? Look for even more physical play from a very big very physical Kings team.

I'm don't want to seem like I'm taking anything away from the Kings, but the Sharks made things difficult for the Kings by pushing that series to 7 games. And the Sharks are much slower than the Hawks. Plus other teams that tried to knock the Hawks around physically realize that they still have trouble keeping up with them and decide to abandon that style in the second period (i.e. see the Wild series).

2 Will Toews and Kane actually play a larger role in the offense? Luckily, the Hawks role players have picked up the scoring slack in the playoffs. But at some time, your best players have to be just that...the best players on the ice.

You sad in another post that you didn't have Toews rated very high in the Wings series. I can respect that, but I disagree. Either way you look at it, if Toews and Kane just draw the attention, we still have Sharp and Hossa. Not to mention the depth of Bickell, Shaw, and Handzus. My point is I'm very pleased with the Hawks as a team. Not worried about a couple of guys. Who knows, maybe Frolik, Stalberg and Bolland will find the back of the net too? (Not too impressed with Bolland BTW.)

3 Can Corey Crawford match Jonathon Quick save vs save? Crawford's been great, probably playing the best of his young career. But Quick is a stud in goal.

4 Can the Hawks get in Quick's head by scoring more than a couple of goals a game?

Again, not taking anything away from Quick (who I agree is an awesome goalie), but the Blues and Sharks are in the bottom of the entire NHL in scoring. I would think that makes life easier for Quick.

Now the bad news, the Wings and Wild are also in the bottom half of the NHL in scoring. This might be a wash, but I'd still take the Hawks fire-power over the Kings, and Quick.

5 Can the Hawks get Darryl Sutter to continue with that putty face frown of his?

Is this rhetorical? He looks like Popeye.

6 Will the back to back games in Chicago in Games 1 and 2 help or hurt the Hawks? Figure the Hawks, as all teams, have to hold serve and keep home ice.

Greet the Kings off the plane with a couple of deep dish pizzas, Italian beef and gyros sandwiches, and some Eli's cheesecake for dessert. That'll help.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the Hawks beat the Kings:

1 Play fast and play smart. Defense has to unload the puck fast and play plenty of "reverses" to the other dman prior to getting crunched by the Kings. Kings will try to create offensive zone turnovers.

2 Penetrate the center ice area. Kings will try to clog up the neutral zone. Hawks have to find a way for clean entries or dump and chase to get to the puck. Kings will once again try to be physical and knock the Hawks off the puck.

3 Find a way to score on the power play. Self explanatory.

4 Continue to play lights out penalty killing.

5 Give Corey Crawford help so he can see the puck. LA is big and you can be sure they will have someone lurking in front of Crawford at all times.

6 As always, possess the puck, possess the puck and possess the puck. Shoot continually on goal. From what I've seen so far in all the playoffs, the vast majority of goals are "greasy" goals...rebounds, redirects off of your own or the other team's player, fluke-ish type goals. Hawks will need to throw somewhere in the upper 30's to 40 shots on goal a game against Quick.

7 Shoot high and often. Quick plays low to the ground leaving the top part of the net vunerable. See above for the "often" part.

8 Use the United Center crowd to the Hawks advantage. Kings are slightly slower than the Hawks and have been offensively challenged on the road. Keep the UC crowd into it by scoring early...and often.

9 Keep home ice advantage. Kings have been a beast at home this season and in the playoffs. If you tend to your own business, the Hawks win.

10 Continue to play like the Hawks played in Games 5, 6 and 7 vs the Wings. High intensity. Give a timely hit when needed, but play smart. Take a hit when given but play smart as well. Throw shot after shot after shot on net. Dmen must get involved in the offensive scheme.

Should be a great series. My stomach is in knots already. Let's go Hawks.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, somehow the Hawks pulled off the miracle and advanced to the Western Conference Finals after trailing the previous series 3-1.

So, Hawks win Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals 2-1. Sharp and Hossa score in the second period. Corey Crawford very good in net yet again.

Lets's recap the above points:

1 I felt the Kings weren't as physical as the Wings...and that the Hawks played equally as physical as the Kings did. Mission accomplished.

2 Looked like Kane and Toews both had more room to roam in this game and has some good looks. No goals, but both played great. No clutching and grabbing like the Wings did.

3 Yes, Crawford matched Quick save for save. One really lousy played puck led to the Kings goal, but Crawford stood tall. Quick is one heck of a goalie. Until the Hawks finally scored I didn't think they would ever put one in the net against him. Hawks need to shoot high or continue to make him make saves off of his left goalie pad, putting rebounds back out in front...which is how Sharp scored.

4 Doubtful...but two goals against Quick in a period, let alone a game, is a major accomplishment.

5 Yep, he looked surly as ever. Even his behind the bench "interview" during the game was surly.

6 We'll see. Game 1 win means nothing if you don't win Game 2 at home.

Good game for the Hawks. Thought they had control most of the game and really limited the Kings chances. All four lines were very good, but the third and fourth lines were outstanding against the Kings.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

braves66boy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck, Blackhawks hopefully you can dethrone the champs from last year. The blackhawks were the best team in the regular season.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck, Blackhawks hopefully you can dethrone the champs from last year. The blackhawks were the best team in the regular season.

Thanks for enlightening us Blackhawks fans. We never realized that. (Sarcasm intended).

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for enlightening us Blackhawks fans. We never realized that. (Sarcasm intended).

g, what's wrong with you? Be nice! (Especially since these boards could use some additional posters.) Even with the Presidents trophy and number one seed, there may be some people who feel that our Hawks are NOT the best team. Shocking, I know!

In lieu of this, I'm sure that braves66boy was merely stating his personal view (as opposed to glomming on to the obvious statistical view). Thank you braves66boy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Joe, I was just gonna drop by and wish you guys luck but man you guys are mean in here.................

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to back games are going to make for some interesting scenarios.

I think the main reason for the back-to-back games is because the Rolling Stones are playing at the United Center Monday night. So there was a conflict in skipping a day.

Wow Joe, I was just gonna drop by and wish you guys luck but man you guys are mean in here.................
You know me, Sam. I'm not mean. That's just g. He's very passionate. He means no harm. You can still send us well wishes. But I don't think you will.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question of the day: How will Darryl Sutter approach tonight's game and what strategy will he use to somehow improve the play of his team?

I'm baffled as to how the Kings have played it against the Hawks so far. What I anticipated to be a tight hard checking game hasn't materialized. Instead, the Kings have tried, but failed, to skate with the Hawks. In my opinion, Sutter gets an F grade for failing to adapt to playing the Hawks.

Now, I know the Kings haven't lost at home in the playoffs. And I know that the Kings have won 14 straight at home. Which, to me I would be VERY worried about that stat if I'm a Kings fan. 14 straight is a lot of games in a row...and they could be overdue for a loss on home ice. And I know that Sutter and the Kings will have the line matchups they think they want because of the home ice advantage.

But, if they don't somehow play the Hawks differently (ie play it more physical, tight checking and retrieve pucks after the check), this could be a very short series.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sutter's strategy will be to skate too hard, hit too much, and give more than they have combined with clogging up the ice to minimize offensive chances both ways...the same way he always coaches and runs teams into the ground.

LA is still very talented but Kopitar looks like he's slowed by something, Brown has been hitting too much, and Richards is out. Offense may be a problem but they can still take the Hawks if Chicago gets jumpy or slows down at all. Can't imagine that team will just go quietly. I don't think LA has the wheels to drastically challenge the Hawks for loose pucks but they have lots of room to get more creative in the neutral and offensive zones.

It'll be interesting to see how Quick bounces back, been a long time since he had a bad game like that.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 3
Well, I had a feeling that the Kings would come out firing, being in front of their home crowd.

I don't know how to judge the Hawks in this game? Sharp didn't seem like he was mentally in it. The defense couldn't get a handle on any pucks in the defensive zone. (Leddy's poor clearing attempt led to the first Kings goal.) Oduya and Rosival were putrid. And then there was the lackadaisical effort put in by Kane. (Don't get me started on a guy who is no bigger than Shaw and with tos more talent plays with half the heart.) Then there was the invisibility of Saad, Shaw, Bolland and Stalberg.

Thought that Keith played great (except for the double minor). Crawford did well. Seabrook was solid, and Bickell was our best winger. Not a lot of praise to go around.

I guess in a way that's good news, because as much as the Kings dominated, the Hawks were in this game and could have stolen one. Makes me feel better about our chances on Thursday.

Go Hawks!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Keith is suspended for game 4. Deserved.

What I'd like to know, why everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that Jeff Carter took a chop with his stick at Keith's exposed hand?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Keith is suspended for game 4. Deserved.

What I'd like to know, why everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that Jeff Carter took a chop with his stick at Keith's exposed hand?

Payback by the league for the Mike Richards hit/concussion. In their mind the Keith suspension evens things out.

I agree Joe...as bad as the Hawks played in Game 3 they were still in it to the very end. Hawks need to play with the same urgency and focus the ENTIRE game, not just the last 8 minutes.

As to Kane...I don't know what's up with him. He had two bona fide scoring chances late in the third, only to make a pass instead of shoot. Before that, he's MIA. Either hit someone or just plain stay away from the boards.

Kane and Toews are the Hawks best players. And they have to start playing like they are. Three goals between the two of them is awful, plain and simple.

So far, Sharp, Hossa, Shaw and Bickell are the only ones producing worth a lick. Hawks got murdered in the faceoff dot last night, which didn't help matters at all. And their forechecking created little turnovers in Game 3. I felt their positioning along the boards was awful. They would knock a Kings player off the puck, only to have it wind up on a forward's stick along the side boards. Not to mention the fumble/bumbles trying to hold a puck in at the blue line.

Hawks need to come out flying ALL game. Not just save it for when they think they need it. If they do that, the Kings are no match. As you saw in the final 8 minutes of the third period it was ALL Hawks, with plenty of scoring chances. Just couldn't connect on the one they needed.

I'm encouraged that a win tomorrow night still puts the Hawks in a great position. It will be tougher without Duncs, but looks like Brookbank needs to step up.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Blackhawks weathered the Duncan Keith suspension by putting on pretty good defensive showing without Duncs. Hawks win 3-2 in Game 4 putting the Kings on the brink of elimination.

Kings still have major problems getting to the net, getting quality scoring opportunities and of course actually converting those slim chances. And Jonathon Quick was less than stellar in goal yesterday, which doesn't bode well for the Kings since they rely on him so much to put them in a position to win games.

Crawford very good in net once again. Second Kings goal was a little soft, as it was one of those slow developing plays that Crawford seems to have trouble corralling the puck (See the Slava Voynov broken stick goal in Game 3 as an example). But, the Hawks looked faster, crisper and just plain better throughout the game. Even down 1-0 and 2-1, you always felt the Hawks would be able to make that push to get some real quality scoring chances and they didn't disappoint.

Bryan Bickell...wow. What a playoffs he is having. So far the Hawks three stars have been Crawford, Bickell and Hossa. And you can juggle them anyway you want for 1-2-3. And Hossa with the rocket game winner off of a sweet dish from Michael Handzus.

Kane looked rejuvenated out there. Took some shots on net, seemed to have better possession of the puck. I predicted that Q would put Kane with Toews after the first intermission. Nice move by Coach Q.

Hawks must be really well coached and very coachable. It seems like when they lose, they are able to make little subtle adjustments that work out for them. Kudos to Coach Q and the entire coaching staff for having this team ready game in and game out.

Hoping the Hawks can close it out Saturday night. Three wins is nothing (please ask Wings fans how that worked out) and winning the fourth is always the toughest. Let's Go Hawks!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan Bickell...wow. What a playoffs he is having. So far the Hawks three stars have been Crawford, Bickell and Hossa. And you can juggle them anyway you want for 1-2-3. And Hossa with the rocket game winner off of a sweet dish from Michael Handzus.

Agree, g. It'll be hard to not have Bickell as the MVP of this series. Although my runner-up, or at least honorable mention, would have to be Jhalmarsson. Not only stepping up his play in the absence of Keith, but sacrificing himself the way he does, almost never missing a shift.

Davey Bolland. :gaah:Bench him.

I'd rather have Mayers or Carcillo. Not sure what Bolland's problem is, but he's almost a liability out there. And maybe his past heroics is what is giving him carte blanche? But I am not at all happy with his play. Heck, call up Ben Smith.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Ben Smith in there. He's a major irritant like Andrew Shaw and with skills to put the puck in the net.

Bolland...just not right, all the way around.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 5
Kudos to the Kings. There was no quit in them. Tying the game with 14 seconds left in regulation was killer. Or in the words of one of the Saturday Night Live "Super Fans" (with a heavy Chicago accent), "was tryin' ta get over my tird heart attack after watchin' dat game. Da Hawks."

Even though Kane gets the hat trick, I'm still giving Bickell the series MVP. Every time he touched the puck in game 5, he had 2 Kings players converging on him. Recap:

Wild series MVP was Sharp.
Wings series MVP was Shaw.
Kings series MVP is Bickell.
Bruins series MVP is TBD.

Go Hawks!