• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday the word was the the PAC held a meeting with Houston. I know that Houston doesn't make sense as far as TV markets go but I think that they're on the upswing and would be one of the best choices as far as being competitive in a P5 conference. Adding them would also give Tom Herman a reason to stay in Houston and continue to build a strong program which would be good for the conference. I also like BYU and Colorado State as well. I know none of these teams help us as the geographical red-headed step child of the Big XII but the thoughts of adding sub-par teams like USF, UCF, UCONN, or Memphis just doesn't stir my chili. If I had to choose an east region team to partner with WVU, would be Cincinnati. Do you guys think that our recruiting would take a hit if Cincinnati or a Florida school was added? That would add more P5 schools in the areas that we have always recruited pretty well over the years which in turn would add more competition. If we were a blue blood program, I wouldn't worry but if we start losing recruits to UC or UCF, that would not be good.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be Tulane, Cincy, UCF and Memphis. Mormons won't play on Sundays, so BYU is not a viable candidate. Invite these 4 and the Big 12 brand is expanded in valuable TV markets and the conference gets its footprint in fertile recruiting grounds.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday the word was the the PAC held a meeting with Houston. I know that Houston doesn't make sense as far as TV markets go but I think that they're on the upswing and would be one of the best choices as far as being competitive in a P5 conference. Adding them would also give Tom Herman a reason to stay in Houston and continue to build a strong program which would be good for the conference. I also like BYU and Colorado State as well. I know none of these teams help us as the geographical red-headed step child of the Big XII but the thoughts of adding sub-par teams like USF, UCF, UCONN, or Memphis just doesn't stir my chili. If I had to choose an east region team to partner with WVU, would be Cincinnati. Do you guys think that our recruiting would take a hit if Cincinnati or a Florida school was added? That would add more P5 schools in the areas that we have always recruited pretty well over the years which in turn would add more competition. If we were a blue blood program, I wouldn't worry but if we start losing recruits to UC or UCF, that would not be good.

I totally agree with you about Cincy. Currently, there is only 1 P5 school in the state of Ohio. Our current staff has made inroads in Ohio... once again. I would hate to lose the attractiveness of WVU for the Ohio recruits who fell off tOSU's and Michigan's wish list.

If the Big 12 adds but two schools, I think it makes the most sense to add BYU and Colorado St. CSU could be the bridge to BYU. There are a lot of Big 12 grads in the state of Colorado, and CSU has invested in its football program.

If 4 teams are added, then I would like Memphis and UCF. Fed Ex money comes with Memphis... UCF has also invested in its football program. When USF was added to the BE, I don't think it had a negative impact on FL recruiting for WVU... kids from FL seemed to enjoy having family see them play near their home.

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to Sirius 84 today and it was suggested that the Big 12 raid the Pac-12. I believe it was Rick Neuheisel that was saying this. He was saying the Arizona schools, Cal, and possibly UCLA. I know it sounds a little far fetched, but it got me to wondering what kind of GOR the Pac has. Anyone know?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the Pac 12 has a GOR. I believe the only conference without one is the SEC.

I've also heard and read reports rumoring interest from Zona and ASU. I don't know how the GOR would affect either school. Maybe the Pac 12 media rights is not worth as much to the schools today, and they'd be willing to challenge for a more lucrative future in the Big 12?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a link to this article on Twitter just now...

Neuheisel: UCLA Should Be Interested In Big 12

"Is it an interesting idea? Yea, sure. It would be a game-changer on the college sports landscape. Is UCLA about to start talking with the Big 12? Very unlikely.

Now, that said, if UCLA were to move to another conference, what would be different?

Well, for starters, there might be an immediate increase in TV money. "But what about Pac-12 Networks?" you ask. Both UCLA and USC have taken a financial hit due to the creation of the Pac-12 Networks."

Financially, the Pac 12 Network is a mess. I guess this is why schools inside the Pac 12 would have interest in the Big 12 today...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a link to this article on Twitter just now...

Neuheisel: UCLA Should Be Interested In Big 12

"Is it an interesting idea? Yea, sure. It would be a game-changer on the college sports landscape. Is UCLA about to start talking with the Big 12? Very unlikely.

Now, that said, if UCLA were to move to another conference, what would be different?

Well, for starters, there might be an immediate increase in TV money. "But what about Pac-12 Networks?" you ask. Both UCLA and USC have taken a financial hit due to the creation of the Pac-12 Networks."

Financially, the Pac 12 Network is a mess. I guess this is why schools inside the Pac 12 would have interest in the Big 12 today...
Hmm...who has been saying all along the Big12 needs to think bigger than say a Memphis?......yep its your Ol pal SLATON10!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...who has been saying all along the Big12 needs to think bigger than say a Memphis?......yep its your Ol pal SLATON10!!

True dat...

With the ACC schools extending their GOR to the next century, it appears they are unavailable.

Pac 12 teams? IMO, Texas will push schools like Zona and ASU hard to join.

Gonna be interesting to see how this goes...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The GOR in the ACC (or any other conference for that matter) is all well n good but if the moves are made at the same time the Big12/SEC/BIG could dissolve that conference by taking the majority of its desired schools. For instance:

SEC- NC State and VT
BIG- UVA and UNC
Big12- Clemson/FSU/Miami/GT

More than half gone ( which if memory serves is what it takes to dissolve a conference) not enough left to enforce the GOR.

Everyone is looking at the Big12 right now and rightfully so but I wonder what the SEC/BIG are up to behind closed doors at the moment.

If those pieces began to move then I would have to believe that Notre Dame would do exactly what they did to the BigEast, run to another conference ( any of which would take them as a full member in a heartbeat)

Last edited:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The GOR in the ACC (or any other conference for that matter) is all well n good but if the moves are made at the same time the Big12/SEC/BIG could dissolve that conference by taking the majority of its desired schools. For instance:

SEC- NC State and VT
BIG- UVA and UNC
Big12- Clemson/FSU/Miami/GT

More than half gone ( which if memory serves is what it takes to dissolve a conference) not enough left to enforce the GOR.

Everyone is looking at the Big12 right now and rightfully so but I wonder what the SEC/BIG are up to behind closed doors at the moment.

If those pieces began to move then I would have to believe that Notre Dame would do exactly what they did to the BigEast, run to another conference ( any of which would take them as a full member in a heartbeat)
I too wonder what is going on behind closed doors, I got to figure ESPN, the SEC and B11 and MAYBE the ACC are having meetings about where to go next. ESPN was the leader in the ACC raids of the BE, so they probably are behind the scenes steering the next round. Texas is the key to anything B12, if they walk to another league, the B12 will be a CUSA type league. I can't imagine a tobacco road school leaving the comfort of the ACC for any other league, they are the big dogs where they are now, and would be also rans in another league. I for one would like to see the others pick apart the B12, I would love to be playing teams I care about, instead of teams half way across the country. How great would it be to have The SEC take WVU and Texas, The PAC take OU, OSU, TT, and TCU, The B11 take Kansas and IAST, the ACC gets left with KSU and Baylor. That is what ESPN and many of the powers that be want, 4-16 team leagues, break away from the NCAA, and play semi pro ball. There is sure to be some shit stired up the next year or two.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With conference realignment, some schools are just going to have to travel. Boston College and Syracuse have to travel to Miami (1500 miles), A&M has to travel to Gainesville, Athens, Columbia, SC, Knoxville (an average of 1002 miles from C.S. to those destinations), Nebraska has to travel to Columbus; Nebraska now has to travel to Columbus, Ann Arbor, Indianapolis (if they ever play for the conference title), Madison, etc. These towns are 10-15 hours away from Lincoln by car. Sucks for WVU, but I'm glad they are in the Big 12....

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More shit thrown into the game.

Cougar High brings absolutely NOTHING to the table! Nothing! I don't even understand why they are a front runner. There are too many Texas schools already. The conference will not expand its brand by adding UofH. Big 12 already dominates the Houston TV market and already recruits well there. OU has its largest alumni base in the greater Houston metro area, along with UT and TTECH. Cougar High has another high school stadium that only seats 40K. Don't need anymore of that shit; TCU and Baylor have high school stadiums as well. Cougar High academics are below average, so that doesn't do anything to bolster the academic reputation of the Big 12. Just makes zero sense.....

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this was interesting from Jake Trotter at ESPN
Trotter: This is how the Big 12 could get UCLA. Expand by three, which would net the league an extra $75 million per year. Then turn around and dangle that in front of the Bruins, to cover their Pac-12 of grant of right losses, plus a lot more. Would UCLA consider it? There's a lot of tension in the Pac-12 right now. Keep in mind, Kansas State collects twice as much in tier-3 revenue through K-StateHD.TV than UCLA gets from the Pac-12 Network. UCLA might also see the benefit of breaking away from USC the way Texas A&M did with Texas in bolting for the SEC. It is a long shot? Sure. But as one industry insider noted this week, if Larry Scott can flirt with Texas and Oklahoma over and over, what's stopping Bob Bowlsby from returning the favor and courting UCLA?