• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bengs at browns

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bad weather. Burrow missed all preseason. As long as he's healthy I'm not concerned.
Next one is big, you don't want to start the season 0-2 in the division.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good point about the rest of the offense being run by Jake and Trevor all camp.

yea, we need to settle on a decent backup QB at some point. probably has to be a draft pick, signed to a long contract. round 3,4,5. He can't have a hot model girlfriend to impress or a big ego.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad weather. Burrow missed all preseason. As long as he's healthy I'm not concerned.
Next one is big, you don't want to start the season 0-2 in the division.
Agreed..... And now that the Jets/Bills game somehow set both of them back, the AFC is really wide open. If you asked me last week which teams I thought were the best bets for the 1 seed I would have said KC, Cincy, Buffalo, Jets, or Chargers. The Jets are the only one with a win..... And they don't have a QB.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed..... And now that the Jets/Bills game somehow set both of them back, the AFC is really wide open. If you asked me last week which teams I thought were the best bets for the 1 seed I would have said KC, Cincy, Buffalo, Jets, or Chargers. The Jets are the only one with a win..... And they don't have a QB.

That was rough for both teams. If Rodgers is out for the year I wonder if Carson Wentz gets a call. He didn't turn out to be the star everyone expected him to be early in his career but if he's a serviceable starting QB the Jets defense is good enough to win with him. They'll probably stick with Wilson because he was a high pick but Wentz might be an upgrade.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kept saying, "Joe Burrow would just shake it off."

sucks to be a Jets fan.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To further illustrate the injury angle in the pre-season...do you think the Jets would have rather had Rodgers go down 4 snaps into game 1, or in game 1 of the pre-season...where at least they have over a month to pivot and make moves.

Injuries suck, and of course you'd rather they not happen at all, but I think the pre-season injury thing does get a bit blown out of proportion....pre-season game 1, 2 or 3....or regular season 1, 2, or 3....or 10....if it's a major piece, like QB, most teams are screwed no matter what. I'll argue at least in the pre-season you've got some time to figure something out and maybe salvage a bit of the season.

But I digress...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To further illustrate the injury angle in the pre-season...do you think the Jets would have rather had Rodgers go down 4 snaps into game 1, or in game 1 of the pre-season...where at least they have over a month to pivot and make moves.

Injuries suck, and of course you'd rather they not happen at all, but I think the pre-season injury thing does get a bit blown out of proportion....pre-season game 1, 2 or 3....or regular season 1, 2, or 3....or 10....if it's a major piece, like QB, most teams are screwed no matter what. I'll argue at least in the pre-season you've got some time to figure something out and maybe salvage a bit of the season.

But I digress...
This is an interesting point, but I don't know if it applies to players at all positions. I was thinking about Travis Kelce the other day and trying to determine when his career will start winding down. The guy has now played in 9 NFL seasons, but if you count his 18 postseason games, that's another full season worth of wear and tear. And this is at a position that takes an absolute beating. Ironically enough, the QB is probably the safest position from a rules standpoint and wouldn't be at as much risk in preseason games, whereas linemen and receivers are probably at a heightened risk. Just something to chew on.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting point, but I don't know if it applies to players at all positions. I was thinking about Travis Kelce the other day and trying to determine when his career will start winding down. The guy has now played in 9 NFL seasons, but if you count his 18 postseason games, that's another full season worth of wear and tear. And this is at a position that takes an absolute beating. Ironically enough, the QB is probably the safest position from a rules standpoint and wouldn't be at as much risk in preseason games, whereas linemen and receivers are probably at a heightened risk. Just something to chew on.
Agreed that there are varying levels of risk...but in the end, the point is...week 1 of pre-season with a month+ to figure it out, or week 1, 2, 5 of the regular season...or week 17 going into the playoffs...

If a key starter goes down, the impact is going to be felt no matter what. Sure, maybe someone still makes the playoffs...but if a QB, top tier WR, LT, etc...etc...goes down...the run might end up being that much shorter...and no less impactful than if they had gotten hurt in the pre-season.

I realize it may not be a perfect fit in terms of argument, but to me it just illustrates that the fear of injury in the pre-season is greatly overblown. Injury to any top tier player that impacts the team at any point in the year is going to really hurt that team. That being said, you can make a case for an injury in the pre-season being better than in the regular/playoff season....where there is no time, room, or ability to pivot.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
achilles tear, out for season.

so do jets draft a QB, or wait for him to come back. does he retire?

bad situation

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets would have been better off going with Jimmy G. With that defense and some of the overall talent on the roster, they could get by with an average qb. Zach Wilson hasn't been it.... And probably still isn't.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have to be 3 weeks in, for the season to begin I guess. injury? ok. but rain? DON'T SAY IT WAS THE RAIN thanks

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have to be 3 weeks in, for the season to begin I guess. injury? ok. but rain? DON'T SAY IT WAS THE RAIN thanks
I'm with you dude. Watson looked like crap throwing too for the first half. Cleveland's defense was just winning more often, and they have something we don't on offense, a dominate running game. It was raining, it was loud in Cleveland, no practice, rust being knocked off. It was a perfect storm of disaster. We didn't overcome like Cleveland did, because they didn't have to overcome as many items. Hopefully, we do a better job of planning for Sunday. Slight chance of rain Sunday in Cincinnati also. So they better get that out of the way as an excuse real quick.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line - the offense looked like it did because it was thoroughly unprepared. That falls on Taylor as the HC and main offensive guy. It's the 3rd year, and 2nd straight, where they came out looked like ass and dropped a game that was 100% winnable. The defense was outstanding. They put up a few scores at any point in the 1st half, and they force Cleveland to rely on Watson...and that would have been a win. Point blank.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line - the offense looked like it did because it was thoroughly unprepared. That falls on Taylor as the HC and main offensive guy. It's the 3rd year, and 2nd straight, where they came out looked like ass and dropped a game that was 100% winnable. The defense was outstanding. They put up a few scores at any point in the 1st half, and they force Cleveland to rely on Watson...and that would have been a win. Point blank.
That is still not accounting for Burrow's horrible play. We can make all t he excuses we want for Burrow and whose fault it is, and Taylor is for sure one of those on the checklist, but Burrow shit the bed plain and simple. He is a damn good QB though and I expect him to rebound this week. I have a feeling he will have a very good game. Does that mean we will win, not really, but I think Burrow does a real good job this week and we keep the score close down to the end of the game. Whoever has the ball last will probably win this is my guess. I really hope we win, because starting off 0-2 on the season and 0-2 in the division is a tough way to begin a Superbowl run.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets would have been better off going with Jimmy G. With that defense and some of the overall talent on the roster, they could get by with an average qb. Zach Wilson hasn't been it.... And probably still isn't.
Even if he puts up a mediocre record, he will be earning that "veteran experience"
He can be the next Andy Dalton!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is still not accounting for Burrow's horrible play. We can make all t he excuses we want for Burrow and whose fault it is, and Taylor is for sure one of those on the checklist, but Burrow shit the bed plain and simple. He is a damn good QB though and I expect him to rebound this week. I have a feeling he will have a very good game. Does that mean we will win, not really, but I think Burrow does a real good job this week and we keep the score close down to the end of the game. Whoever has the ball last will probably win this is my guess. I really hope we win, because starting off 0-2 on the season and 0-2 in the division is a tough way to begin a Superbowl run.
Burrow missing time, yet again, does not help. He's been around long enough, though, that the production should not have been as subpar as it was.

That being said - again - it would have benefited the offense to have some playing time to prepare in the pre-season. If you KNOW Burrow is not going to be available to get reps, wouldn't it make sense to ensure that the rest of the unit around him is as prepared as possible to help protect him?

I know, I know...I'm beating a dead horse...but I have a very real fear about what this team looks like in as little as year from now if Lou gets a HC job, Higgins leaves, and suddenly all of the small things covered up with Taylor's offense is exposed. Taylor should be looking long and hard at Miami's offense and thinking of ways to incorporate those things in the offense...he won't....but he should.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow missing time, yet again, does not help. He's been around long enough, though, that the production should not have been as subpar as it was.

That being said - again - it would have benefited the offense to have some playing time to prepare in the pre-season. If you KNOW Burrow is not going to be available to get reps, wouldn't it make sense to ensure that the rest of the unit around him is as prepared as possible to help protect him?

I know, I know...I'm beating a dead horse...but I have a very real fear about what this team looks like in as little as year from now if Lou gets a HC job, Higgins leaves, and suddenly all of the small things covered up with Taylor's offense is exposed. Taylor should be looking long and hard at Miami's offense and thinking of ways to incorporate those things in the offense...he won't....but he should.
I mean, the first play was a perfect illustration of a team that wasn't prepared on offense. The Bengals ran a concept that they ran last year with some success. Irv Smith (used to be Hurst) has to pull across the field to take out the defensive end and Burrow executes an RPO. Except Smith was late getting to the block and Burrow got destroyed. I am not an offensive coordinator so I have no real idea of what was available or what was supposed to happen. But from my viewpoint, that is either on Burrow for not handing the ball off to Mixon - The d-end overcommitted to the pass. Or it was on Smith because he was late getting to the end. But here's the thing.... Burrow didn't play all preseason because of injury. But neither did Smith.... To run that play live on the first play without having executed it was a disaster.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the first play was a perfect illustration of a team that wasn't prepared on offense. The Bengals ran a concept that they ran last year with some success. Irv Smith (used to be Hurst) has to pull across the field to take out the defensive end and Burrow executes an RPO. Except Smith was late getting to the block and Burrow got destroyed. I am not an offensive coordinator so I have no real idea of what was available or what was supposed to happen. But from my viewpoint, that is either on Burrow for not handing the ball off to Mixon - The d-end overcommitted to the pass. Or it was on Smith because he was late getting to the end. But here's the thing.... Burrow didn't play all preseason because of injury. But neither did Smith.... To run that play live on the first play without having executed it was a disaster.

likely the other team studied the play, and recognized it.