• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back up PG? Who you got?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now Curry and Monta normally switch off on handling the load, but last year we saw the need for a solid back up PG. The Warriors drafted Charles Jenkins this year and have Jeremy Lin as a holdover. Do you see the Warriors picking up any vets to address the situation or will the go in to the season as is? Who do you think ends up getting more minutes at the position between the two?

Bonus question: Do you think Lin will have improved enough over the summer to earn a roster spot on his game play alone? He had a few games where he did some good things, but overall I'm not sold.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pfffffffffffft

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lin played pretty well last season. I think I only seen him have one bad game. He played real good defense at the point, he played the true pg role as well. With that being said, I think he'll have his hands full fighting for minutes with Jenkins.
I've never watched Jenkins play but from what I have seen he looks athletic and strong. He reminds me of Baron Davis in terms of size and strength at the pg position. He seems to be able to get to the rack, as well as hit the jumper. I'm not sure about his passing or defense though.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Warriors Hoping to Land PG Ish Smith

By Marcus Thompson
Friday, December 16th, 2011 at 10:30 am in Uncategorized.

I’m told the Warriors put their bid to claim point guard Ish Smith off waivers. , who was waived by Memphis on Wednesday. They found out this afternoon if they get him. If multiple teams try to claim him, he will go to the team with the worst record I think. Smith would be the third point guard on the roster.

Smith is little and super fast. Probably the fastest player in the league. He’s averaged 10.3 minutes in 43 career games, most of them with Houston. The Warriors don’t just want Smith for what he can do on the court (floor general, not a good shooter), but they like the idea of Stephen Curry defending him every day in practice. Trying to keep the speedy Smith in front of him would be helpful to Curry’s development on defense, the Warriors presume.

(the article was short so I posted it instead of the link to the SJ Mercury News)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got Ish.

@Rusty_SFChron Rusty Simmons
The Warriors have picked up point guard Ish Smith, who was waived this week by Memphis.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the commitment to defense. It sure is a breath of fresh air to have a super strong f/o and coaching staff.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

"The Warriors solved a lot of their depth issues with the acquisition of swingman Brandon Rush, but one area that might still be suspect is point guard, where there is no one but rookie Charles Jenkins behind starter Stephen Curry."

I realize he is not going to set the world on fire with his performances, but I recall the Warriors grabbing Ish Smith off the waiver wire. That dude is a PURE point guard. As a guard, he's so pointy that he draws blood.

This article was just lazy journalism. It makes the baby Jeebus cry with its ignorance.

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Backup PG?

Monta Ellis.

I don't see why the Warriors need another player regularly playing at the 1. Monta can handle the back-up minutes there as long as guys like Thompson and Lee are on the court... Thompson and Rush can handle the extra minutes that open up at the 2 and I think McGuire will be getting regular PT behind D Wright at the 3.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Backup PG?

Monta Ellis.

I don't see why the Warriors need another player regularly playing at the 1. Monta can handle the back-up minutes there as long as guys like Thompson and Lee are on the court... Thompson and Rush can handle the extra minutes that open up at the 2 and I think McGuire will be getting regular PT behind D Wright at the 3.

+1. I'll add that Charles Jenkins looks more than capable to nab 5 minutes a game. I really like the potential 10-man rotation that is shaping up on this squad.