• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back up PG and Back PF

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they manage to make it a S&T for the TPE from the Cavs/Jack signing, allowing us to keep our MLE for a backup PG or another backup big, I'll be a walking hard-on for the next couple months.

Are they still trying to get O'Neal as well?

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I believe so. Word is that the Speights signing does not effect the chance to sign O'Neal as our 2nd/3rd center.

I hope so. Speights is good as a mid-range shooter, but bad defensively, most of his minutes come as PF as a result. We could really use O'Neal. (Note: this doesn't mean that I think Speights is a bad signing, just that our biggest need isn't addressed by him.)

To a couple of the earlier comments in this thread:
Tyrus Thomas - no. Just..... no.
Ian Clark - I think we're going to see he's able to shoot the lights out (almost as well as Curry), but can't handle the ball enough to be a PG, so his 6'2" size is going to be a detriment. Despite this, I'd give him a good, long look, because I think his shooting is positively elite.

Honestly, if I'm Myers, my sales pitch to O'Neal is "Jermaine, look at our roster. You know what you're coming to - an incredible group of young guys that you can help to lead. We need an excellent guy to come off the bench and be the big man, and with Bogut, you might get more time if he isn't able to stay healthy. We're not going to play around, we'll give you a 2 year deal for $2.5M/year, and with a team option on a third year. If you look at the other rosters and situations you're look at, do you see something with this kind of opportunity on and off the court? Call us when you realize we're the answer."

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. Speights is good as a mid-range shooter, but bad defensively, most of his minutes come as PF as a result. We could really use O'Neal. (Note: this doesn't mean that I think Speights is a bad signing, just that our biggest need isn't addressed by him.)

To a couple of the earlier comments in this thread:
Tyrus Thomas - no. Just..... no.
Ian Clark - I think we're going to see he's able to shoot the lights out (almost as well as Curry), but can't handle the ball enough to be a PG, so his 6'2" size is going to be a detriment. Despite this, I'd give him a good, long look, because I think his shooting is positively elite.

Honestly, if I'm Myers, my sales pitch to O'Neal is "Jermaine, look at our roster. You know what you're coming to - an incredible group of young guys that you can help to lead. We need an excellent guy to come off the bench and be the big man, and with Bogut, you might get more time if he isn't able to stay healthy. We're not going to play around, we'll give you a 2 year deal for $2.5M/year, and with a team option on a third year. If you look at the other rosters and situations you're look at, do you see something with this kind of opportunity on and off the court? Call us when you realize we're the answer."

I'd be curious to hear why you think he wouldn't fit our team?

My opinion on the guy is that his main problem has been that he's been vastly overpaid for what he contributes. What he is, is an athletic 4, who's great at protecting the rim and getting out in the open court. The offense isn't going to run through (or even near) him, and he won't be much of a liability on that end. At worst he can finish above the rim. He's still only 26 years old.

You can't really fault him for not thriving on the Bobcats. I mean, who has? He showed big potential with the Bulls (which gave him his overpaid contract) and then went to the Charlotte wasteland. Motivation with him was definitely a problem, but I see him as a very low risk, high reward type player. He's coming off being amnestied and won't cost a whole ton to sign (see Andray Blatche). If you get him to buy into running the court with Iggy, Steph, Klay and Barnes and blocking shots, he could be a huge addition to our team.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be curious to hear why you think he wouldn't fit our team?

My opinion on the guy is that his main problem has been that he's been vastly overpaid for what he contributes. What he is, is an athletic 4, who's great at protecting the rim and getting out in the open court. The offense isn't going to run through (or even near) him, and he won't be much of a liability on that end. At worst he can finish above the rim. He's still only 26 years old.

You can't really fault him for not thriving on the Bobcats. I mean, who has? He showed big potential with the Bulls (which gave him his overpaid contract) and then went to the Charlotte wasteland. Motivation with him was definitely a problem, but I see him as a very low risk, high reward type player. He's coming off being amnestied and won't cost a whole ton to sign (see Andray Blatche). If you get him to buy into running the court with Iggy, Steph, Klay and Barnes and blocking shots, he could be a huge addition to our team.

I can't decide if it's lack of a brain, his poor attitude, playing no more than 54 games in any of the last 4 years, shooting 36% over the last 2 years, or simply the total package that makes me shy away.

The league is littered with guys who don't have Thomas' physical tools but are dramatically more productive.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't decide if it's lack of a brain, his poor attitude, playing no more than 54 games in any of the last 4 years, shooting 36% over the last 2 years, or simply the total package that makes me shy away.

The league is littered with guys who don't have Thomas' physical tools but are dramatically more productive.

I suppose with the signing of Speights makes all this a moot point, but thanks for the response. He hasn't been productive in the last few years, but a change of scenery does wonders. The Warriors have become an organization that provides stability and structure. Something I think would help rehab this kid.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I suppose with the signing of Speights makes all this a moot point, but thanks for the response. He hasn't been productive in the last few years, but a change of scenery does wonders. The Warriors have become an organization that provides stability and structure. Something I think would help rehab this kid.

No problem..... I usually will respond, if I see a post asking for elaboration. Honestly, the guy Thomas reminds me of in a lot of ways is Stromile Swift - both were LSU guys who could jump out of the gym, but never lived up to their physical talents, which were astronomical. Swift had a better career than Thomas has had, but as Thomas will be 27 by the time the season starts, his time with "upside" is really starting to run out. I'd be more inclined to offer him a chance at redemption if he was 22 or 23 rather than going on 27, with 7 years of poor to mediocre performance behind him.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem..... I usually will respond, if I see a post asking for elaboration. Honestly, the guy Thomas reminds me of in a lot of ways is Stromile Swift - both were LSU guys who could jump out of the gym, but never lived up to their physical talents, which were astronomical. Swift had a better career than Thomas has had, but as Thomas will be 27 by the time the season starts, his time with "upside" is really starting to run out. I'd be more inclined to offer him a chance at redemption if he was 22 or 23 rather than going on 27, with 7 years of poor to mediocre performance behind him.

Thomas is just one of those freak athletes that came out of school to early with too much hype and never developed any type of offensive skills. If he would have stayed in school a few more years, he may have been more productive.

I think O'neal will eventually sign, he is probably waiting to see if a better offer comes around. I would love to add Ridnour, who is an expiring, but I wouldn't want to give up much for him. With the drafting of Muhammad and signing of Budinger, adding to Rubio, Schved and Barea, he could be had. Wouldn't mind Stiemsma either, who was released.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas is just one of those freak athletes that came out of school to early with too much hype and never developed any type of offensive skills. If he would have stayed in school a few more years, he may have been more productive.

I think O'neal will eventually sign, he is probably waiting to see if a better offer comes around. I would love to add Ridnour, who is an expiring, but I wouldn't want to give up much for him. With the drafting of Muhammad and signing of Budinger, adding to Rubio, Schved and Barea, he could be had. Wouldn't mind Stiemsma either, who was released.

Rid might have the best handles in the NBA (because he is the only one that enjoys the drills). He does make some strange decisions and try to do too much at times, but he would love the players and system in Oakland. The Udrih idea might be better-suited to this squad because his length and passing will allow Curry to work off the ball occasionally, with Beno guarding the more athletic back court player.

I will always like and admire Young Rid, but he plays worse on-the-ball D than Curry or Thompson. Those small line-ups would be a constant frustration, defensively. In fact, if Luke ever joined the Warriors, I doubt we'd see him and Curry on the floor anywhere near as often as we saw Curry and Jack. Of course, Iggy and the further development of Harrison Barnes have something to do with that, too.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does everyone think of JJ Barea? Would be a nice replacement for jack and he is clutch.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does everyone think of JJ Barea? Would be a nice replacement for jack and he is clutch.

Great player, but see above. Not that him and Ridnour are similar in their play beyond position, but they are both defensive liabilities (not that Udrih is all-world on that end; he just has length). Barea is certainly closer to Jack's style of game than Rid or Beno, but I don't know if that role with the Warriors suits him in the same way. He is quick, intelligent and a good shooter, so it could work, but I think the most important traits for a Curry back-up are passing and defense. Again, Beno isn't necessarily head and shoulders better than JJ at those aspects of the game, but he certainly has a longer wingspan. I like the thinking because all three can be had at reasonable salaries (though, with the added prospect cost for Rid and JJ). We shall see.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great player, but see above. Not that him and Ridnour are similar in their play beyond position, but they are both defensive liabilities (not that Udrih is all-world on that end; he just has length). Barea is certainly closer to Jack's style of game than Rid or Beno, but I don't know if that role with the Warriors suits him in the same way. He is quick, intelligent and a good shooter, so it could work, but I think the most important traits for a Curry back-up are passing and defense. Again, Beno isn't necessarily head and shoulders better than JJ at those aspects of the game, but he certainly has a longer wingspan. I like the thinking because all three can be had at reasonable salaries (though, with the added prospect cost for Rid and JJ). We shall see.

Rather have Bareas clutch ness over ridnour haha. Need dat clutch in the playoffs I hope they get him. He would create havoc on the 2nd unit

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather have Bareas clutch ness over ridnour haha. Need dat clutch in the playoffs I hope they get him. He would create havoc on the 2nd unit

Definitely. His skill set is difficult to duplicate. There may not be a "perfect" situation out there for the Dubs, but I would think the potential back-up PGs in the league know how fragile Curry's ankles are, and they certainly saw the contract that Jack got from one year in that system. It'll be a tough decision to completely mess up (or know how messed up it is for a few months), but it's good to have options and preferences. I might lean toward Udrih, but I would be fine with Barea, Ridnour, Beaubois, Augustin, etc. (maybe even a flier on Darius Morris; don't know why the Lakers didn't play him more with their PG issues over the years, but maybe that is telling of his game). Either way, the Warriors have gone from a probable play-off roster to a definitive play-off roster, which is great! :)

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Morrow is off the board

Don't sleep on the Pelicans this year, Unibrow, Evans, Gordon, Lopez, Morrow, they have some nice pieces.

As for the Dubs, I read Nedo was signed, so the buyout form the Euro team is complete.

I can't wait for Summer league

:clap:

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Morrow is off the board

Don't sleep on the Pelicans this year, Unibrow, Evans, Gordon, Lopez, Morrow, they have some nice pieces.

As for the Dubs, I read Nedo was signed, so the buyout form the Euro team is complete.

I can't wait for Summer league

:clap:

Portland is substantially better than them. They actually have a bench now.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portland is substantially better than them. They actually have a bench now.

Your probably right, if Lillard can avoid the Soph Slump, they could be a player come next year

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hansborough gone

I'm thinking the Dubs are probably done wheeling and dealing, I wonder if there's anything left out that Myers can do before Training camp?