• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back up PG and Back PF

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several other teams have expressed interest in Kaman, including Golden State, Atlanta, Sacramento and New York, sources said.

Y! SPORTS

Kaman would be a nice pick up, but I wonder if he would be too expensive, especially at this point in the offseason?

Maybe in a month or two, towards the beginning of training camp, we can get him cheaper?

Seems like mid tier FA's are getting mutli year offers. Landry/Jack both 4 year deals after decent years.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Spears pick, Hollins is gone

Hmm, the list is shrinking by the second and its not even 7/10/13 yet

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Warriors really need to figure out whether the deal with Iggy will be a straight signing, or if they can get Denver to agree to a sign-and-trade somehow. I don't get all the ins-and-outs of how it works, but apparently if we can get them to do the sign-and-trade, we'll end up with some big Traded Player Exceptions that we can use now or anytime in the next year to absorb salaries fro other teams. If it's a straight free agent signing, we don't get any of the TPEs, and literally only have a couple million to pursue free agents. I'm pretty sure that's why we haven't heard anything over the last couple of days from the Warriors.

Assuming we don't make another big deal (which I still believe to be possible), the guys I think we could get and should be pursuing are Brandan Wright or Jermaine O'Neal for the back-up C/PF position, and Nate Robinson or CJ Watson for the back-up PG position.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors really need to figure out whether the deal with Iggy will be a straight signing, or if they can get Denver to agree to a sign-and-trade somehow. I don't get all the ins-and-outs of how it works, but apparently if we can get them to do the sign-and-trade, we'll end up with some big Traded Player Exceptions that we can use now or anytime in the next year to absorb salaries fro other teams. If it's a straight free agent signing, we don't get any of the TPEs, and literally only have a couple million to pursue free agents. I'm pretty sure that's why we haven't heard anything over the last couple of days from the Warriors.

Assuming we don't make another big deal (which I still believe to be possible), the guys I think we could get and should be pursuing are Brandan Wright or Jermaine O'Neal for the back-up C/PF position, and Nate Robinson or CJ Watson for the back-up PG position.

You were probably reading the same article I was CD

I read the thing a few times, and still didn't understand the whole thing fully, I'm hoping the they are just crossing the "T's" and dotting the "I's" at this point. With the twittersphere blowing up about iggy coming here I'm sure its a done deal. :hope:

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You were probably reading the same article I was CD

I read the thing a few times, and still didn't understand the whole thing fully, I'm hoping the they are just crossing the "T's" and dotting the "I's" at this point. With the twittersphere blowing up about iggy coming here I'm sure its a done deal. :hope:

Yeah, there's no doubt he's coming to Golden Sate - after the Utah deal, we have the money to sign him. However, we apparently get a lot more assets (exceptions) out of the Utah trade if we can work out a sign-and-trade with Denver rather than signing Iggy outright. Of course, we'll have to probide some kind of asset(s) to convince Denver to do this, because if they agree, they know they're helping the Warriors out, potentially more than they're being helped.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can't edit my earlier note - I'd definitely add Charles Jenkins to the list of guys I'd be interested in getting. He'd be fine as a back-up PG, particularly with Iggy on the roster. He's deadly from the mid-range, the kind of guy who would work really well with Iggy.

bigjoerico

72 is my year!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does have a feeling of something bigger that's going to happen with the Dubs. Hope we get a quality back up PG soon.
Collison would have been a great fit but I guess Jenkins knows the system and could be ok.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does have a feeling of something bigger that's going to happen with the Dubs. Hope we get a quality back up PG soon.
Collison would have been a great fit but I guess Jenkins knows the system and could be ok.

Collison is going to the Clippers. And I think they can do better than Jenkins... but even then, the need for a backup big supersedes the need for a backup PG/ballhandler.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collison off the board

Charles Jenkins anyone? I'm sure a 2 years, vet minimum contract would suit him jus fine?

1st year 1 mil
2nd year, team option 1 mil?

I always liked what I saw from Jenkins, but why not just give more minutes to Bazemore and tell him to attack the rim? There are a few things that Kent does better than Charles, and I think his defense and floor positioning would be more beneficial to the second unit than Jenkins' slashing ability. It would be nice to get a player with all of those characteristics for the MLE, but that might not be possible. Until a couple of moves are made, the Warriors are looking a little thin on bench talent. With this Starting 5, I'll take it... but only until February. :)

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't edit my earlier note - I'd definitely add Charles Jenkins to the list of guys I'd be interested in getting. He'd be fine as a back-up PG, particularly with Iggy on the roster. He's deadly from the mid-range, the kind of guy who would work really well with Iggy.

I forgot that his mid-range jumper is much smoother than Bazemore's. I was thinking about who teams best with Klay, but that is probably Jenkins, too. Perfect for the drive and kick.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they probably wait until Summer league is over. 3 young guards will fight it out. If not, someone like Jenkins should still be available. If not a straight free agent, in the D-League.

bigjoerico

72 is my year!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to see what Ian Clark from Belmont brings in summer league for the Dubs.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think backup PG is more of a luxury than a necessity at this point. We have a ton of guys on our roster who can facilitate the offense. We all saw last year that at times even Barnes and Klay took turns facilitating the offense. Iggy replaces Jack's ability to bring the ball up the court.

At this point I'm definitely more concerned about who we can bring in to fill the 4/5 backup spot.

I know Jermaine O'Neal's name has been floated out there. A couple other under the radar guys I might like to see the Warriors go after would be a guy like Jason Maxiell, Tyrus Thomas or (gasp) Al Harrington who has been said to be working on a buy-out.

Maxiell is a bit undersized but he's tough and a bruiser down low. Tyrus Thomas is still only 26 and I think would be a perfect fit for us. He doesn't have to do anything on offense and would be allowed to just concentrate on what he does best, protect the rim. Harrington would be just another deadly outside shooter to add for our drive and kicks, but there's no way I'd play him and DLee on the court at the same time. I shudder when thinking what would happen with that combination on defense.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think backup PG is more of a luxury than a necessity at this point. We have a ton of guys on our roster who can facilitate the offense. We all saw last year that at times even Barnes and Klay took turns facilitating the offense. Iggy replaces Jack's ability to bring the ball up the court.

At this point I'm definitely more concerned about who we can bring in to fill the 4/5 backup spot.

I know Jermaine O'Neal's name has been floated out there. A couple other under the radar guys I might like to see the Warriors go after would be a guy like Jason Maxiell, Tyrus Thomas or (gasp) Al Harrington who has been said to be working on a buy-out.

Maxiell is a bit undersized but he's tough and a bruiser down low. Tyrus Thomas is still only 26 and I think would be a perfect fit for us. He doesn't have to do anything on offense and would be allowed to just concentrate on what he does best, protect the rim. Harrington would be just another deadly outside shooter to add for our drive and kicks, but there's no way I'd play him and DLee on the court at the same time. I shudder when thinking what would happen with that combination on defense.

I see both sides of the back up point topic.

We do have "the rights to Nedo", but he may come over and decide he doesn't want to sit on the bench 35-40 mins a game behind Steph. He also may not be ready.

Steph is always just a love tap away from being a 11 million $ paperweight. Atleast last year we had Jack to run the show. I'm still not convinced Iggy could do that on a regular basis. Once other teams throw pressure on him, will his ball handling hold up? BIG question.

Getting the "full mid level" would be huge. I'm not sure if AK47 would sign here for that, but that would be better than the 2.8 mil we were talking about early this offseason.

If we are talking about a one way player who we want to only play defense and rebound for cheap, Kenyon Martin should be the guy. Seems to be in good enough shape to still play 10-15 mins a night. Is crazier enough to bang down low with the Artests/Millsaps/Hansboroughs of the world.

JO, Maxiell, and Tyrus Thomas wouldn't be bad either, but I wouldn't give either our full mid level (5.8 mil?)

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides of the back up point topic.

We do have "the rights to Nedo", but he may come over and decide he doesn't want to sit on the bench 35-40 mins a game behind Steph. He also may not be ready.

Steph is always just a love tap away from being a 11 million $ paperweight. Atleast last year we had Jack to run the show. I'm still not convinced Iggy could do that on a regular basis. Once other teams throw pressure on him, will his ball handling hold up? BIG question.

Getting the "full mid level" would be huge. I'm not sure if AK47 would sign here for that, but that would be better than the 2.8 mil we were talking about early this offseason.

If we are talking about a one way player who we want to only play defense and rebound for cheap, Kenyon Martin should be the guy. Seems to be in good enough shape to still play 10-15 mins a night. Is crazier enough to bang down low with the Artests/Millsaps/Hansboroughs of the world.

JO, Maxiell, and Tyrus Thomas wouldn't be bad either, but I wouldn't give either our full mid level (5.8 mil?)

I definitely wouldn't want to give the full MLE to them either. Tyrus Thomas I feel would be a much easier get for cheap because he got amnestied. He'll still be getting paid and won't "need" to hold out for a higher cap figure.

Kenyon Martin, I'm just not a fan. I watched him last year and he just doesn't seem to be all that effective. Just my opinion on the guy, but I can definitely see your POV that we need a banger.

A couple other cheap options to look at might be Chris Wilcox or Dejuan Blair. I don't really know why Blair got into Pop's doghouse, but he always seemed to be effective when he was on the court. He's undersized but the guy knows how to use his body.

Also for the PG spot, I get what you're saying. Curry's ankle's will always be an issue, but I guess I was just thinking more along the lines of someone being able to facilitate the offense when he's not in the game or when he's off the ball. For a backup PG, I'd definitely look into Aaron Brooks and Rodrigue Beaubous. Brooks has been up and down but I think he's a very solid player who wouldn't cost much. Beaubous was hurt most of last year and I think the kids got talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speights = Landry but much cheaper.

Fuck it all. This FO gets me hard.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I don't share Homage's exact /same thoughts, :laugh3:

Here's Speights 411

6'10" 255 lbs , I would say Speights is a bigger larger body, probably won't throw 100 pump fakes below the rim, but will be able to throw his weight around, effectively for 10 mins a night.

I'm guessing he plays most of his minutes behind Bogut.

Now for a back up Point.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they manage to make it a S&T for the TPE from the Cavs/Jack signing, allowing us to keep our MLE for a backup PG or another backup big, I'll be a walking hard-on for the next couple months.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now the third year is reportedly a team option?

o LAWD. How is this man doing all this? JUST FUCKING HOW.

Am I dreaming?