• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back to draft talk

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like Dak's boy Fred Ross mid to late. I know the Boys met with him at the Senior Bowl, could be a low risk high reward guy although bringing back T Will and Butler probably makes this unlikely.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like Dak's boy Fred Ross mid to late. I know the Boys met with him at the Senior Bowl, could be a low risk high reward guy although bringing back T Will and Butler probably makes this unlikely.
I can't imagine resigning T Will and Butler will impact our late round drafting at all. We always seem to have a late round or UFDA WR type in the mix for the bottom of the roster or the PS. I suspect one way or another this year will be no different.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Austin Carr as a 7th round or UDFA out of Northwestern. Also, admittedly could be biased toward this guy, but Brandon Reilly was a do everything self-made WR who runs good routes and gets open and has ST experience.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Jerry Jones Believes “There Is Opportunity There For Us” In The Draft

PHOENIX – Jerry Jones expects the Cowboys will be an improved team in 2017 – and he thinks they can make further improvements through the upcoming draft.

There’s a big difference, of course, in drafting 28th overall (and subsequently near the end of each round thereafter) than picking fourth overall, as the franchise did last April. That’s the byproduct of winning a franchise-record tying 13 games in 2016.

Yet the Cowboys like the depth of this year’s draft, particularly on defense where they’ve lost seven players to free agency, including four starters.

In all, nine free agents have signed with new teams since the March 9 start of new league year. Losing players creates the task of replacing them, but the Cowboys’ owner/general manager believes “we certainly have created more options in my mind than we’ve lost.”

At this stage of the offseason, the draft is the most likely avenue for finding potential impact players.

“There is opportunity there for us,” Jones said Tuesday from the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix. “There’s no question.”

Asked his expectations for how many rookies could conceivably become starters or immediate contributors on this current roster, Jones said, “Near the bottom of the first (round), moving toward the top, this sets up for a little potential trade action to try to gain some value or try to hit an opportunity. So I’ve never looked at where we were when we started a draft and thought we’re not going to get a very good player right there, the assumption being that’s where you are going to be when you have to make a decision. All of that plays out as it unrolls. But there are some opportunities.”

Jones indicated, however, that the Cowboys would be less inclined to spend a premium pick on an injured player.

The Cowboys are optimistic about linebacker Jaylon Smith’s recovery from the serious knee injury dropped him to the second round last April and sidelined him all of last season. But the team’s free-agent losses on defense might create a bit more urgency this year for a rookie who can play right way.

“Drafting a player this year that is going to be redshirted high (in the draft), with some of our needs, that gets problematic a little bit, doing a Jaylon (type of pick) this year when we probably are going to get a chance to get a player that’s got a chance to play. It’s causing us to do generally, from our draft class last year, as well as what we anticipate this year, we’ve got to play young.”

Last year’s draft picks Ezekiel Elliott, Dak Prescott, Maliek Collins and Anthony Brown helped the Cowboys win the NFC East. Jones recognizes their division rivals have upgraded talent this offseason to challenge Dallas.

“It’s not a surprise; it was expected that we would be dealing with improving teams in our division,” Jones said. “But I feel – and this isn’t just arm waving or blind optimism – I feel at the end of the day when we get to training camp that we will be an improved team from where were last year.”

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theoretically, if a team with a top 10 pick offered their 2nd and third for the 28th would you do it?

Dallas doesn't get 28 but they get between #33-43 plus #60 and they get between #67-#77 and get #90? From what I have heard about this draft and our needs, heck to the yes!!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until you are about to pick or at least within a few picks of your turn you don't know who will or won't be there, so no way to answer that question about a trade until draft day. But I wouldn't be surprised to see us move up if we love a pass rusher or CB that is on the board and we really don't have a second choice close or if we move back if there are a lot of guys we have ranked about the same. We no longer seem to be in panic mode on draft day and make rash decisions, we now seem to be calm and calculated and it's paying off.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After more research using resources available on the interwebs I've come across a dark horse DE prospect that we should keep our eyes on. A&M's "other" DE, Daeshon Hall. His size and reach are incredible and overall athleticism is solid. He's filled out his frame now to the point he can play with his hand on the ground. His movement and agility on film mirror that of Randy Gregory. He is lean, but strong at the point and has a habit of knifing into the backfield.

I have a feeling this kid is going to go a lot earlier than the internet draft geeks say he will.
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Despite Myles Garrett being out of the Dallas Cowboys’ reach in the upcoming NFL draft, the organization’s scouts kept a close eye on other players, including safety Justin Evans and defensive end Daeshon Hall, at Texas A&M’s Pro Day on Thursday.

Daeshon Hall (DE): The Lancaster, Texas, product had an impressive NFL Combine that included a fourth place finish in the vertical jump with 36 inches and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.76 seconds. During his four years with A&M, Hall recorded 14 sacks, 158 total tackles, 35.5 tackles for loss and forced four fumbles. The 6-foot-6, 266-pounder said at Pro Day he has a visit with the Cowboys scheduled for April 7th.

You may be getting your wish on this one Husker. Thumbs up to you:suds:

Pro Day: Garrett Shines, But Other Prospects Worth Watching At Texas A&M

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King also visiting. I'd love to draft him.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at this point we can narrow down who the Cowboys are looking at in the first round of the draft. Dallas over the past several years has had a tendency to only draft players in the first round they have official visits with in the pre-draft process. I think the last 1st round pick that Dallas didn't visit with was Morris Claiborne, so it's been a while since the Cowboys have strayed from this strategy.

Looking at who the Cowboys have visited with/worked out, and upcoming scheduled visits, I'll predict that with their first round pick, Dallas will be looking at a pass rusher from the following pool...

Takk McKinley, DE UCLA
Charles Harris, DE Missouri
TJ Watt, OLB/DE Wisconsin
Taco Charlton, DE Michigan

Also looks as though Dallas will be looking at DBs in round two. The following guys have either had an official visit or are scheduled to visit with the Cowboys....

Kevin King, CB Washington
Obi Melifonwu, S Connecticut
Cordrea Tankersley, CB Clemson
Fabian Moreu, CB/S UCLA

Just a (somewhat) educated guess about what we might be looking at on draft day. I like the idea of targeting a pass rusher in round 1 and capitalizing on the depth at secondary in round 2. Somewhat disappointed that Adoree Jackson is not on this list, but I trust the process these days.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at this point we can narrow down who the Cowboys are looking at in the first round of the draft. Dallas over the past several years has had a tendency to only draft players in the first round they have official visits with in the pre-draft process. I think the last 1st round pick that Dallas didn't visit with was Morris Claiborne, so it's been a while since the Cowboys have strayed from this strategy.

Looking at who the Cowboys have visited with/worked out, and upcoming scheduled visits, I'll predict that with their first round pick, Dallas will be looking at a pass rusher from the following pool...

Takk McKinley, DE UCLA

Also looks as though Dallas will be looking at DBs in round two. The following guys have either had an official visit or are scheduled to visit with the Cowboys....

Kevin King
Obi Melifonwu
Cordrea Tankersley
Fabian Moreu

Just a (somewhat) educated guess about what we might be looking at on draft day. I like the idea of targeting a pass rusher in round 1 and capitalizing on the depth at secondary in round 2. Somewhat disappointed that Adoree Jackson is not on this list, but I trust the process these days.
Great post. Maybe they should have had Claiborne visit before making the mistake of drafting him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't looked to see who they met with to be honest, but did whatever list you found include Senior Bowl and Combine meetings?

Takk McKinley, DE UCLA

Kevin King, CB Washington
Obi Melifonwu, S Connecticut
Cordrea Tankersley, CB Clemson
Fabian Moreu, CB/S UCLA

Funny. Just read this and includes most of your round 1 targets:

NFL draft digest: 5 edge rushers Cowboys fans need to watch for in Round 1 | SportsDay

Personally I don't think there is any way we are only looking at one position or 4 guys, but since it's our biggest need, it's been the spot I've wanted for a couple of years now. Pressure is the single most important aspect of playing defense in today's NFL. You see it week after week. So we need to get better there. Hopefully one of these guys or someone similar is drafted at some point. I'm hoping for at least 2 DL and preferably in the first few rounds.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't looked to see who they met with to be honest, but did whatever list you found include Senior Bowl and Combine meetings?

Funny. Just read this and includes most of your round 1 targets:

NFL draft digest: 5 edge rushers Cowboys fans need to watch for in Round 1 | SportsDay

Personally I don't think there is any way we are only looking at one position or 4 guys, but since it's our biggest need, it's been the spot I've wanted for a couple of years now. Pressure is the single most important aspect of playing defense in today's NFL. You see it week after week. So we need to get better there. Hopefully one of these guys or someone similar is drafted at some point. I'm hoping for at least 2 DL and preferably in the first few rounds.

These visits/workouts are in reference to the 30 "official" visits the Cowboys are allowed. The list of combine and Senior bowl visits would be a pretty long list.

Here is a list of official visits and expected visits...

2017 Draft: Cowboys' official visit, workout tracker and their history

Can't verify the accuracy of this list, so we will see. Looks like I jumped the gun on Fabian Moreu and Obi Melifonwu, I read that they were scheduled to visit, but that looks like it could have been wrong.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I don't think there is any way we are only looking at one position or 4 guys, but since it's our biggest need

I'm sure the Cowboys are looking at more than 4 guys in the first round, but if I had to guess, those 4 pass rushers are at the top of the board. I'm sure McClay will have some DBs he likes in round 1, in the event that the pass rushers are off the board.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These visits/workouts are in reference to the 30 "official" visits the Cowboys are allowed. The list of combine and Senior bowl visits would be a pretty long list.

Here is a list of official visits and expected visits...

2017 Draft: Cowboys' official visit, workout tracker and their history

Can't verify the accuracy of this list, so we will see. Looks like I jumped the gun on Fabian Moreu and Obi Melifonwu, I read that they were scheduled to visit, but that looks like it could have been wrong.
thanks for list. Was looking for it but then got sidetracked and forgot

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to keeping an eye on individual visits, it seems we draft or more so sign as UDFAs a bunch of guys that come to the Dallas draft day. Not only to start the offseason, but even later in camp and then as injuries/cuts arise once the season starts. Of course predicting which of these guys it will be is pretty difficult.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3