• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Attendance is down. Fans still not sold on team.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one thing baseball ( and most sports) is going to have to realize and somehow deal with, it is a hell of lot better for most fans to sit at home and watch the games during the regular season and especially during a weekday. It's cheaper, more convenient and watching the game on Root Sports (or any network) is actually better than viewing the game in person.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one thing baseball ( and most sports) is going to have to realize and somehow deal with, it is a hell of lot better for most fans to sit at home and watch the games during the regular season and especially during a weekday. It's cheaper, more convenient and watching the game on Root Sports (or any network) is actually better than viewing the game in person.
Yeah, and no. It's easy to sit and home and tell yourself that, but there are no lack of fans that aren't otherwise disenfranchised that get how much more a game means when taking in that environment. No amount of technology can simulate the feeling of being there live in the crowd.

I'll take my family to at least one game over the summer just because it's a day out at the ballpark. Whether I'm pissed off at the team at that time or not.

That's how Nintendo kept things afloat as long as they have without really even trying to put a team out there. They knew we would still show up at least enough to keep the lights on even with shitty baseball and crappy management because there's nothing like going to the Safe for a game.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and no. It's easy to sit and home and tell yourself that, but there are no lack of fans that aren't otherwise disenfranchised that get how much more a game means when taking in that environment. No amount of technology can simulate the feeling of being there live in the crowd.

I'll take my family to at least one game over the summer just because it's a day out at the ballpark. Whether I'm pissed off at the team at that time or not.

That's how Nintendo kept things afloat as long as they have without really even trying to put a team out there. They knew we would still show up at least enough to keep the lights on even with shitty baseball and crappy management because there's nothing like going to the Safe for a game.

There is something special about attending the game, but outside of a playoff game (or type game like a few years back) the atmosphere isn't really something you have to have at a Mariners game, at least for me. Only thing good to me about attending Hawks games is the tailgaiting. Once inside, again to me, it's better watching on my big screen.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bavasi really sunk this franchise to new lows.

Bavasi was terrible, but two things I think sunk the Mariners were Pat Gillick being the GM for an organization who no one in management knew anything about baseball. Pat Gillick left the organization in the toilet.

I truly don't put any fault on Bavasi, he was just a yes man that Chuck and Howard wanted after the toxic environment that Pat vs Lou made for Howard and Chuck.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casual fans (like me) are paying attention again. The team has been dismal for 15 years. It will take some winning to gain more interest, then they will come.
After Behring bailed out, it took the Seahawks a few years to recover from that.
I haven't been to a Mariner game in years. I plan to go soon if they keep on keeping on.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casual fans (like me) are paying attention again. The team has been dismal for 15 years. It will take some winning to gain more interest, then they will come.
After Behring bailed out, it took the Seahawks a few years to recover from that.
I haven't been to a Mariner game in years. I plan to go soon if they keep on keeping on.

We've been burned enough times but fuck it! I'm all in on this team!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been burned enough times but fuck it! I'm all in on this team!
If they go 5-5 or better in the next 10 I'll jump on.

I'm really not thinking there's much risk in that.

Even 2-2 at home this weekend would be huge. I mean we are trotting out Felix for one of those. :tsk:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they go 5-5 or better in the next 10 I'll jump on.

I'm really not thinking there's much risk in that.

Even 2-2 at home this weekend would be huge. I mean we are trotting out Felix for one of those. :tsk:

Tomorrow is prime to sneak one from Boston with them flying cross country. They do that, def should split the series at minimum with a very good shot taking 3 of 4 and also missing out on facing Sale since he pitched today.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a wonderful read posted about going from 116 to 16 years of sorry.

As far as attendance goes there is a level of going so long without winning that it makes it harder to sell out games but I believe that will soon change. The main thing is that there is no draw or star player that has a big name which is covered all over ESPN. Before it was Ichiro then it was Felix Hernandez. Last I checked there arent that many mariners getting votes to go to the all star game. Having a Macado, Stanton, Altuve, Trout, Harper etc players that get talked about ESPN every other day helps a lot with jersey and ticket sells.

As baseball fans that know the game we can recognize players like Segura, Haniger, and Gonzales are having wonderful seasons. But they arent widely recognized, if we make the playoffs and have mariner games nationally covered that will change everything.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not packing the stands has zero to do with name power.

They have sucked for so long my 16 y/o has no clue what winning baseball is. None.

They have played a bit better over the last couple of seasons. Had spells where it looked like finally they might produce, only to entirely fall apart. Again. As always.

You don't need to overanalyze this. Once bitten twice shy. 16 years of bitten means you have to do a lot more than beat up a bunch of struggling ballclubs and not even being close to the half way mark of the season.

You go out and play above .500 over the next 10 against the best two teams in the league and fans will roll back in. Won't matter what ESPN or anyone else says or doesn't say about this team and it's players.

They aren't coming back now because they have been fed fools gold one too many times. They are hardened by recent examples. It's that simple.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not packing the stands has zero to do with name power.

They have sucked for so long my 16 y/o has no clue what winning baseball is. None.

They have played a bit better over the last couple of seasons. Had spells where it looked like finally they might produce, only to entirely fall apart. Again. As always.

You don't need to overanalyze this. Once bitten twice shy. 16 years of bitten means you have to do a lot more than beat up a bunch of struggling ballclubs and not even being close to the half way mark of the season.

You go out and play above .500 over the next 10 against the best two teams in the league and fans will roll back in. Won't matter what ESPN or anyone else says or doesn't say about this team and it's players.

They aren't coming back now because they have been fed fools gold one too many times. They are hardened by recent examples. It's that simple.

Agreed! Put a winning product out on the field, do it consistently year in and year out, make moves to better the team when needed and show the fans that they truly want to win will get the seats filled quickly.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling the next 4 games will be pretty full. But how many will be Mariners fans?