• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Attendance is down. Fans still not sold on team.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, this isn't 1995, is it? In 1995 you could find a bandwagon fan on every street corner. And the team had a popularity run that lasted, with the help of Safeco Field opening, through 2007 before slowly petering out to Kingdome-like low attendances in 2012 and 2013.

But, back to the present. There are many reasons why attendance is down this year that having nothing to do with team performance.
First, despite low attendance, the team still ranks 7th in the AL in attendance per game.
Second, school hasn't gotten out yet.
Third, most families have not had their summer family vacation yet.
And fourth, and most importantly, we have not yet had home games against the Blue Jays, Yankees and Red Sox who typically draw 35K+ when they play here, bloating the overall attendance figures.

So those are the excuses. Now for the facts. Fans don't believe in the team yet. Or maybe they forgot we have a team here. Their hipster friends are doing other stuff and the Mariners aren't current anymore. A typical home game on Monday-Thursday is only drawing, on average, about 13.000-14,000 fans.

When will the bandwagonners start showing up? If the team is still a serious playoff contender by All Star break, will more people start showing up?

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how much this plays into it, but I would think the cost is probably a factor also. Parking, admittance, food, drink etc. I'm sure keeps many away. It's not cheap to go to a Mariners game. If we go into August/Sept neck and neck with Houston I'm sure we'll see attendance increase.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus driving in and out of Downtown Seattle blows.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think attendance will uptick till next year

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, this isn't 1995, is it? In 1995 you could find a bandwagon fan on every street corner. And the team had a popularity run that lasted, with the help of Safeco Field opening, through 2007 before slowly petering out to Kingdome-like low attendances in 2012 and 2013.

But, back to the present. There are many reasons why attendance is down this year that having nothing to do with team performance.
First, despite low attendance, the team still ranks 7th in the AL in attendance per game.
Second, school hasn't gotten out yet.
Third, most families have not had their summer family vacation yet.
And fourth, and most importantly, we have not yet had home games against the Blue Jays, Yankees and Red Sox who typically draw 35K+ when they play here, bloating the overall attendance figures.

So those are the excuses. Now for the facts. Fans don't believe in the team yet. Or maybe they forgot we have a team here. Their hipster friends are doing other stuff and the Mariners aren't current anymore. A typical home game on Monday-Thursday is only drawing, on average, about 13.000-14,000 fans.

When will the bandwagonners start showing up? If the team is still a serious playoff contender by All Star break, will more people start showing up?
Yes, it will take an actual locked in playoff berth to get any major dents in returning fans. They have blown it way way WAY too many times and too many consecutive years to expect a mass uptick on a short term streak. They will show up in increasing numbers down the stretch if they are still in contention, but it won't sell out until they lock up at least a WC slot.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it will take an actual locked in playoff berth to get any major dents in returning fans. They have blown it way way WAY too many times and too many consecutive years to expect a mass uptick on a short term streak. They will show up in increasing numbers down the stretch if they are still in contention, but it won't sell out until they lock up at least a WC slot.

I don't know. It seems like the few times they were at least in it in September the stands were full.

I just refuse to enter that city so no M's games for me.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. It seems like the few times they were at least in it in September the stands were full.

I just refuse to enter that city so no M's games for me.
Yes, in other words they gave into the temptation a playoff run was possible and allowed themselves to enjoy it only to be Marinered yet again.

Haven't we all seen the diminishing returns over time? You can only dick tease so many times before it stays limp.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, in other words they gave into the temptation a playoff run was possible and allowed themselves to enjoy it only to be Marinered yet again.

Haven't we all seen the diminishing returns over time? You can only dick tease so many times before it stays limp.

True, but we are that fan base that has never felt all the way so we are kind of like a 12 year old.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a fan of every year of this team from ground zero. I was a Pirates fan before we had a team. They played some great ball back in the mid 70's.

Back when you could get seats sitting right over the first base dugout just before game time because the place was always empty. When they had groucho glasses giveaways and other attempts to get kids into the park so at least someone was watching. None were nearly as cool as the stuff they give out these days. Before we had our own mascot and they had the san diego chicken come up to taunt the umps and entertain the crowd between innings because, well.. the baseball sucked ass. And still we went. Tickets were cheap and I went to no less than a game a month. For many of those shit years.

We were there, in the dome when Jr joined and sweet lou brought something weird to town: winning. Randy bailed, Jr and a-fraud left, and still we had some quality baseball albeit never championship quality. I sat in our suite next to Dave Mahler for the game Clemons one hit them in the ALCS. Stayed true (to the blue) all the way through the retirements of bone, boonie, and edgar.

Somewhere along the way the team stopped trying. The ownership didn't even pretend to care. Somehow they became worse than they were in those early 80's infancy seasons. Maybe it just felt worse because we had a taste of what baseball was supposed to be under Lou. Either way it became habit year after year to follow them until the all-star break and then go do summer because baseball was pretty much over. Prices kept rising and the game play kept going down.

Sure, they are playing better than they did 5+ years ago and the worst of the ownership has changed hands. Payroll is up and at least they act like they want to win, even if none of us are convinced they have any clue how to make that happen. We have names we can follow and guys we pull for. Much more so than that down turn.

But... they are at the show me state. Too many close calls that almost felt worse than following a shit team you knew had no chance. It's perennial losing and accumulated frustration.

That's what many long time M's fans have endured.

Of course we still watch. Even while bitching. We can't complain about the blowpen if we aren't watching many of those late inning melt downs that remind us of the last couple of years season ending slumps. We haven't stopped being fans just because we can't find much to be upbeat about for any real length of time.

If any of you have gone through all 41 seasons and you are entirely fully back on the bandwagon good on you. Enjoy the summer and the ride. I honestly don't have any idea what it will take or at what point I again drop the wall and fully jump aboard, but it shouldn't matter or change things for those who have much better blinders than I can ever endure.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a fan of every year of this team from ground zero. I was a Pirates fan before we had a team. They played some great ball back in the mid 70's.

Back when you could get seats sitting right over the first base dugout just before game time because the place was always empty. When they had groucho glasses giveaways and other attempts to get kids into the park so at least someone was watching. None were nearly as cool as the stuff they give out these days. Before we had our own mascot and they had the san diego chicken come up to taunt the umps and entertain the crowd between innings because, well.. the baseball sucked ass. And still we went. Tickets were cheap and I went to no less than a game a month. For many of those shit years.

We were there, in the dome when Jr joined and sweet lou brought something weird to town: winning. Randy bailed, Jr and a-fraud left, and still we had some quality baseball albeit never championship quality. I sat in our suite next to Dave Mahler for the game Clemons one hit them in the ALCS. Stayed true (to the blue) all the way through the retirements of bone, boonie, and edgar.

Somewhere along the way the team stopped trying. The ownership didn't even pretend to care. Somehow they became worse than they were in those early 80's infancy seasons. Maybe it just felt worse because we had a taste of what baseball was supposed to be under Lou. Either way it became habit year after year to follow them until the all-star break and then go do summer because baseball was pretty much over. Prices kept rising and the game play kept going down.

Sure, they are playing better than they did 5+ years ago and the worst of the ownership has changed hands. Payroll is up and at least they act like they want to win, even if none of us are convinced they have any clue how to make that happen. We have names we can follow and guys we pull for. Much more so than that down turn.

But... they are at the show me state. Too many close calls that almost felt worse than following a shit team you knew had no chance. It's perennial losing and accumulated frustration.

That's what many long time M's fans have endured.

Of course we still watch. Even while bitching. We can't complain about the blowpen if we aren't watching many of those late inning melt downs that remind us of the last couple of years season ending slumps. We haven't stopped being fans just because we can't find much to be upbeat about for any real length of time.

If any of you have gone through all 41 seasons and you are entirely fully back on the bandwagon good on you. Enjoy the summer and the ride. I honestly don't have any idea what it will take or at what point I again drop the wall and fully jump aboard, but it shouldn't matter or change things for those who have much better blinders than I can ever endure.
Very well put. Nailed it. :thumb:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nod: It's only June, still a lot that could go wrong!
This franchise has pretty much crapped on fans over the years and that includes the band wagon ers,
To be honest I figured fans that have gone to a game yet are waiting to see how this road trip, and the Red Sox series to actually see if this team is actually good...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for you guys bring up parking, take the link!

That thing is actually awesome... We go up for weekend series get a hotel room in SeaTac or around Angle lake and take that train up, your there in 30 minutes in and out, no outrageous prices on parking or trying to fine a spot.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I somewhat remember going to a mid week game in September 2014 when they were somewhat close to a WC Spot. The crowd was definitely under $15K that night. Maybe if the division is actually in play it will be different but I still have my doubts that the division will be feasible. Regardless outside of the games against popular teams, I expect it to be more of the same. Kind of a believe it when I see it thing. They have tried a little harder this year with some of their ticket deals. However weekends are still too expensive in general

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for you guys bring up parking, take the link!

That thing is actually awesome... We go up for weekend series get a hotel room in SeaTac or around Angle lake and take that train up, your there in 30 minutes in and out, no outrageous prices on parking or trying to fine a spot.
I've taken the link to husky, mariner, seahawks, and sounders games. It's cheap enough and I know they added more parking, but it does still have some challenges. Mostly going back from the games. Those lines can be terrible. And I know people who have had their cars broken into while parked at both the tuk and angle lake lots. I've actually paid for parking at the airport just to have that security, but then you are spending more than parking at the game.

And yes, we really do need to see how the team responds to tougher stretches of games. I mean they are playing a lot of one run games against middle of the road to bad teams. Are they going to really find success against power teams with that formula?

I would also say Cano's suspension really REALLY took a lot of whatever wind was building in our sails. His return will be another distraction. I mean what do you do with Gordon again at that point? And then you retool things to bring his bat back in for what? Only to have to retool it again going into the playoffs if somehow you make it?

There's a lot to love about what this team is doing, but it sure does feel like they are cursed and trying each year to invent new ways of coming up short and shooting themselves in the feet.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fans will be back if August/September baseball has WC/Div on the line. Can't blame the fans for not filling the stadium just yet since we've seen way too many implosions.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's the good thing about sports. Even if you have "been let down" countless times the next year you can have faith, hope or whatever term. Being a M's fan and a Coug isn't too much different.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to a lot of games when I still lived in Renton and the team was actually good. We moved to Enumclaw about the same time the Mariners went in the tank (2004). Since then, it's been challenging to get excited about driving the 80-mile round trip to go see a team that is over-matched on most nights. I haven't been in Safeco since 2012. Wife wants me to take our daughters to a game this summer. I'm still thinking about it. If it's a weekday game (when parking will be a lot cheaper because attendance is all but guaranteed to be less than 17,000) and Paxton is pitching, then I might be persuaded to go. Otherwise, I've got a 70" screen TV with a pause feature, instant replay, no line to the bathroom, $1.25 beer, and a reclining seat. How can I give up all of that?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to a lot of games when I still lived in Renton and the team was actually good. We moved to Enumclaw about the same time the Mariners went in the tank (2004). Since then, it's been challenging to get excited about driving the 80-mile round trip to go see a team that is over-matched on most nights. I haven't been in Safeco since 2012. Wife wants me to take our daughters to a game this summer. I'm still thinking about it. If it's a weekday game (when parking will be a lot cheaper because attendance is all but guaranteed to be less than 17,000) and Paxton is pitching, then I might be persuaded to go. Otherwise, I've got a 70" screen TV with a pause feature, instant replay, no line to the bathroom, $1.25 beer, and a reclining seat. How can I give up all of that?

Yeah, but it's all in Enumclaw :wank: :ipw:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they are offering a $98 game pass for the month of July, anything to get the fans back into the hype