• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Article: New CBA and The Warriors

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hollinger:

How it helps: There is now new ownership and management in Golden State, and the amnesty clause gives the Warriors the ability to undo one of their many mistakes. Andris Biedrins, David Lee and Charlie Bell are all potential candidates.

The new trade rules for teams under the tax make trades significantly easier going forward. Stephen Curry and Monta Ellis are not an ideal fit in the backcourt, and the verdict is still out on whether David Lee is the long-term answer at the 4. Now they'll have more flexibility to change some of those things if they want to.

How it hurts: It doesn't. Golden State is under the cap and is in little danger of paying the luxury tax any time soon.

Immediate impact (this season): The Warriors could choose to be free-agent players if they want to by using their amnesty to get between $12 million and $15 million under the tax. But I doubt they do it. The plan is to take their time and not make any major mistakes. The upcoming free-agent crop is pretty weak, so it's probably best to simply avoid that minefield.

Long-term impact (future seasons): Other than Curry, whom the team will likely rebuild around, I'm not sure anyone else on the team is safe right now. Look for new management to be opportunistic and use the amnesty and new trade rules to their advantage. Having an assistant GM like Bob Meyers, who used to be a high-profile agent, should help them maneuver the system better than other teams going forward.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Warriors save the amnesty for next season. They won't use it on Biedrins this year, as they hope he'll have some sort of revival season. It seems too early to give up on Lee. Using it on Bell this season would seem dumb unless they absolutely needed the room to sign a mid tier free agent. His contract is up after next year, and we could potentially have just as much cap room next year, in addition to the amnesty.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My suspicion is that they will end up using it on Lee in either the summer of 2013 or 2014. In 2014 is when his salary escalates north of $15M. The amount he's getting paid right now isn't the problem so much as the amount he'll be paid in years 4-6 of his deal......

KingJeglum

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Warriors would buy out Bell before wasting their amnesty on $4 million I am surprised anyone would even bring this into consideration.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
buy-outs still count against tthe cap though, right?

Yes. The amnesty provides relief against the cap, while the teams pays out on the remaining contract. A buy-out would still count against the cap.