• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the league

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers with Dan Haren and two relievers just one hit the Indians tonight in a 1-0 win. That means the Indians have been 1 hit in consecutive games and been involved in a 1 hitter in 3 straight games. That is a somewhat cool stat that I bet has not happened very often.

yeah, that's wild

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles are [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]484777850197639168[/MEDIA]"]working[/ame] to deal Nolan Reimold, according to the Baltimore Sun. Reimold was designated for assignment Tuesday, but hasn't been placed on waivers yet. He hasn't played in the majors this season due to a neck injury.

This just has M's smell all over it. Hoping not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels and A's just won't lose!!!!

Orioles won today too. We're going to have to keep this pace of winning til the end of the year if we want to hang on to this wild card spot

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka gave up 5 runs on 10 hits in 6.1 innings against the Indians tonight. That makes 9 ERs his last two starts. I'm curious if the league may be slightly adjusting to him, he's getting fatigued or it's just a random bad stretch

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read it yet, but what I don't understand is if you don't want to sign a guy after drafting him you should not have to. Part of the risk for the player.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the problem is? They have a certain amount of money MLB mandates they can spend (without occuring a penalty) So they tried to stay within budget. The players had "offers" but didn't sign, and then were offered a lower salary.

If they wanted the higher salary they should of signed.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the problem is? They have a certain amount of money MLB mandates they can spend (without occuring a penalty) So they tried to stay within budget. The players had "offers" but didn't sign, and then were offered a lower salary.

If they wanted the higher salary they should of signed.

There's more to it than that.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's more to it than that.

Like what? I read the first bit of the article. didn't sound to me like anything. This is big boy business, contract negotiations can get ugly.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
k

Anyhoo, I'll be interested to see if the level of manipulation Houston tried here will result in a dismissal, reversal, or arbitration. Could set a bit of a precedent for all clubs, really.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston can do whatever they want with Aiken if they don't think he's worth $$$$ because of an injury or something. My problem is they screwed over 2 other guys they drafted due to some issues they had with Aiken.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
k

Anyhoo, I'll be interested to see if the level of manipulation Houston tried here will result in a dismissal, reversal, or arbitration. Could set a bit of a precedent for all clubs, really.

It's a shady business anyway. Remember years back when the Mariners took a kid in the first round (Catcher Baron) that was nowhere near a first round talent, but they took him because he would sign on the cheap........

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston can do whatever they want with Aiken if they don't think he's worth $$$$ because of an injury or something. My problem is they screwed over 2 other guys they drafted due to some issues they had with Aiken.

People are missing the big point here. I'm not arguing right and wrong, I'm just looking at the very real implications this could have in the future for all teams.

In short, it comes down to how draft physicals are done. Houston found a hole they thought they could use to their advantage. In so doing they fucked themselves over more than anything.

To lower the price on Aiken and free up money for "the other 2 guys" as Podunk put it, Houston staged a surprise MRI on Aiken the very day he came to sign, and conveniently "found" something that indicated elbow problems at some unforeseen point in the future.

They were already getting a good deal on Aiken compared to the average amount that 1st overall picks get, and the day he came to sign, they used a stunt to lowball him even more.

Aiken said fuck that and walked away from a lot of money because it was so manipulative that he didn't want anything to do with that organization. The money went away as well, and hence, the other 2 guys got fucked over.

This sums up what baseball officials say will need to be addressed in the near future:

"Multiple baseball officials believe that the circumstances surrounding Aiken will lead to eventual changes in the way Draft physicals are conducted. The current CBA, which came into play in December 2011, overhauled the Draft rules and called for a pre-Draft medical combine, though MLB and the MLBPA have been unable to work out the logistics."

Again, not talking about right and wrong, but something's going to happen that could affect every team in the future, hence me putting it in "around the league".

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are missing the big point here. I'm not arguing right and wrong, I'm just looking at the very real implications this could have in the future for all teams.

In short, it comes down to how draft physicals are done. Houston found a hole they thought they could use to their advantage. In so doing they fucked themselves over more than anything.

To lower the price on Aiken and free up money for "the other 2 guys" as Podunk put it, Houston staged a surprise MRI on Aiken the very day he came to sign, and conveniently "found" something that indicated elbow problems at some unforeseen point in the future.

They were already getting a good deal on Aiken compared to the average amount that 1st overall picks get, and the day he came to sign, they used a stunt to lowball him even more.

Aiken said fuck that and walked away from a lot of money because it was so manipulative that he didn't want anything to do with that organization. The money went away as well, and hence, the other 2 guys got fucked over.

This sums up what baseball officials say will need to be addressed in the near future:

Again, not talking about right and wrong, but something's going to happen that could affect every team in the future, hence me putting it in "around the league".

thank you for providing some context. I didn't realize it was a surprise exam. I thought it was just normal protocal, players usually go through medical exams etc.

How did Aiken not signing hurt the other two guys from signing?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank you for providing some context. I didn't realize it was a surprise exam. I thought it was just normal protocal, players usually go through medical exams etc.

All of the money Houston was tapping into went away when their #1 pick walked.

No matter what happens with this grievance, it at least will put the issue front and center. Language in the CBA that isn't being addressed right now will be addressed in the near future.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All of the money Houston was tapping into went away when their #1 pick walked.

No matter what happens with this grievance, it at least will put the issue front and center. Language in the CBA that isn't being addressed right now will be addressed in the near future.

From what I understand the 2 others guys were on hold because they were going to pay them based on what they signed Aiken for, right? So they had to get him signed first, then work out the numbers that the other 2 would fall into. Once the clock ran out on Aiken, the other 2 guys were left with nothing, which is bullshit. They shouldn't be punished for the shady negotiations going on with 1 guy.

Oh well, I guess the 2017 World Series champs will have to delay their parade.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the clock ran out on Aiken, the other 2 guys were left with nothing, which is bullshit. They shouldn't be punished for the shady negotiations going on with 1 guy.

yep, i agree. that's why it will be interesting to see what happens with this grievance.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Fister just improved to 10-2 on the season.

We all know how Charlie Furbush is doing.

Casper Wells was recently released after his lack of success with the Cubs' AAA team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ever happened to the 'key' to the trade that we released and went back to Tigers? Martinez?