• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Arizona vs. UCLA

Zona_Men

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't stop FIGHTING! BEARDOWN BABY!!!!!!!

Zona_Men

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of a game. Truth is we should have won with all those opportunities in the red zone. I have no doubt that recruits were watching. It is always sunny in Arizona, I am proud of how our guys fought against a bigger, faster and stronger team. I see a rose bowl in the future. Great game BEARDOWN!!!!

T Steves

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This loss is very upsetting. The offense never seems to play well overall against good teams. They could capitalize in the redzone while the defense played a hell of a game versus a top quarterback in the nation. Sure the defense have up a couple big scores, but that was expected. They've now fallen out of the PAC-12 south race unless it all blows up in the coming weeks. On another note, this is only year 2 of a rebuilding phase...

T Steves

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of a game. Truth is we should have won with all those opportunities in the red zone. I have no doubt that recruits were watching. It is always sunny in Arizona, I am proud of how our guys fought against a bigger, faster and stronger team. I see a rose bowl in the future. Great game BEARDOWN!!!!

UCLA was overall bigger with some better athletes, but they didn't beat anybody notable. The teams they've beat were a combined 14-25 on the year. I guess I was looking into it too much and got my hopes up. This team does show promise, but I was hoping for the south title this year.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta keep things in perspective, which for the most part, you do. It's only RR's second year, and Denker is in the middle of a steep learning curve. The defense is outplaying themselves. Anything can happen. ASU still plays UCLA, and we still play ASU. But ultimately, RR has gotten us to bowl games in his first two years. That's impressive. And Arizona will play in our 5th bowl game in 6 years, and that's with two different coaches. It's a program building process, that takes time, especially with a coach that isn't even through his second year, with two different QBs.

And if you consider where Denker was after his first four games this year, I saw 7 wins as a bonus, with 6 wins as the realistic ceiling. AZ just took a top 20 team down to the wire, and had opportunities to win. It's a great showing. Denker is still learning how to fly as he's building the plane.

RR, Denker, and the team deserve a ton of credit. Gotta take it to WSU, do what we can with Oregon, and put everything we have into ASU. Winning 7 this year is still a success, opponents' record or otherwise. If we can get to 8 wins in the regular season, it will still be tied for the second best year in AZ football in the last 20 (for the regular season). It's a process. And if you were to ask me going into last year how we would do last year and this year, I would say that just being 6-6 each year would be a blessing.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow... he had a chance to make a real statement in the South and we blew it. Homecoming and evertything... bball game on monday. mfuck

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least we had the balls to make UCLA our homecoming game.

BEAR DOWN

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Carey broke into the top 5 (#4) in total rushing yards, while still holding strong at #1 in YPG.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, checked the stats; that kid from Boston College now has the most YPG at 163. KC is at 152.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carey deserves Heisman!

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with UA football is that they're just not very good.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with UA football is that they're just not very good.

It's pretty funny because ASU and UA pretty much switched roles from last year. ASU couldn't beat a team with a winning record, and AZ was cruising right along beating half of the ranked teams they played. I agree, AZ isn't very good this year. We are beating the teams we should, and losing to the teams that are probably better than us. A really easy schedule is the only way that we are bowl eligible. But, with the foundation being built for a far more stable program than we've had since Dick Tomey, I think there is cause for optimism for the future. The offensive opportunity is certainly there though RR, and if he can somehow realize that he needs a defense to protect his offense, then AZ could be as good as his old UWV teams. But, it's not even the end of his second year, and we have done far better than I expected, so it's something to look forward to.

And honestly, if AZ had a better QB than Denker, and Austin Hill, the 7th best receiver in the nation from a year ago wasn't hurt, then I can honestly say that we would only be a one loss team right now (if that). Now, again, that would definitely be because of an easy schedule, but we wouldn't be having this conversation. So, that just puts it into perspective of how "not very good" we are.

Last edited by a moderator:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty funny because ASU and UA pretty much switched roles from last year. ASU couldn't beat a team with a winning record, and AZ was cruising right along beating half of the ranked teams they played. I agree, AZ isn't very good this year. We are beating the teams we should, and losing to the teams that are probably better than us. A really easy schedule is the only way that we are bowl eligible. But, with the foundation being built for a far more stable program than we've had since Dick Tomey, I think there is cause for optimism for the future. The offensive opportunity is certainly there though RR, and if he can somehow realize that he needs a defense to protect his offense, then AZ could be as good as his old UWV teams. But, it's not even the end of his second year, and we have done far better than I expected, so it's something to look forward to.

And honestly, if AZ had a better QB than Denker, and Austin Hill, the 7th best receiver in the nation from a year ago wasn't hurt, then I can honestly say that we would only be a one loss team right now (if that). Now, again, that would definitely be because of an easy schedule, but we wouldn't be having this conversation. So, that just puts it into perspective of how "not very good" we are.

ASU Football was better last year as well. The only reason we went on that losing streak is because Kelly had an injury he didnt tell anyone about and was throwing in a 15 yard box. We had the best pass rush in the nation last year. And we beat you at home. I knew Uofa was not for real beating teams like USC at home. Then getting killed by UCLA 66-10. Yea you beat Oklahoma State but look how many starters they lost from there Fiesta Bowl season? ASU>Uofa in 2012 and we beat you in the territorial cup. We were a Will Sutton away from beating UCLA and winning the Pac 12 south. We lost that UCLA game 45-43 without the Pac 12 defensive player of the year. If we had Sutton we would of won the South. So your argument of saying Uofa was better than ASU last year is False.

Your defense sucked last year while ASUs defense was pretty solid. Will Sutton was injured during that losing streak as well he was a force last year.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jahii, apparently, you have no idea what I was talking about. I was making a comparison between AZ last year and ASU this year... and AZ this year with ASU last year.

You can go back to any coulda woulda shouldas you want. AZ could do the same thing. Doesn't change anything. You guys also got completely hosed by Oregon last year. And AZ just flat out didn't show up against UCLA or Oregon last year. Obviously we were good enough to beat USC last year. And OKST beat two ranked teams last year, while losing to #12 Texas by 5, and losing to #13 OK in OT in Norman. They finished better than ASU did in both polls. Just stating the facts.

And if we had no business beating USC last year, they what the fuck were we doing losing to the ultimate #20 Oregon State by 3, and the ultimate #7 Stanford in OT, in Naples???? Again, don't let the facts get in the way of believing in fuckin unicorns, there Jahii. And if we are playing the Coulda shoulda woulda game, if we didn't let you score TWENTY FOUR fucking points in the 4th QTR last year, we would have stomped you, and wouldn't be having this conversation. So it goes both ways.

Again, you can say whatever you want -and by all means go ahead, I know you will anyway- but AZ was the only team that ASU beat last year who had a winning record, and it took AZ self destructing in the 4th QTR to do it. These are just facts.

I was drawing comparison to the fact that so far this year, AZ is beating the teams that they should, and losing to the teams that are probably better; just like ASU had done last year up until this point. And just like AZ last year, ASU is playing pretty good football this year.

If you don't know by now, Jahii, I'm as close to an objective football fan as there is. Point being, I'm not even a really big football fan to begin with, so I have no problem calling it like I see it. But just like ASU was such-and-such away from being a solid team last year, AZ is a QB and Austin Hill away from being very solid this year. These are the comparison's I'm making. Hell, for as "not very good" as AZ is this year, we just held UCLA to their lowest point total of any of their wins this year, and was their closest win. And, they are the #13 team in the land. So again, if you want to talk about facts, these are the facts.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Sutton got hurt in that Oregon game while you guys got completely shut out. Oregon had 2 weeks to prepare for us to. On the first play Sutton came through and forced a fumble.

Who won the territorial cup at Uofa? Asu was a better team with a healthy Kelly and a healthy Will Sutton.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just finding it hard to believe that a team that almost lost to Nevada (should of) is better than Asu........