• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are The GSW and CLE super teams good or bad for the NBA?

Is it good that the Cavs and Warriors are heavy favorites to meet again the Finals or is it bad?

• Good- more interest in the NBA

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Bad- would prefer more parity

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-on-5 predictions: Who would win a Warriors-Cavs series right now?

1. Are these two superteams good or bad for the NBA?
Amin Elhassan, ESPN Insider: They are awesome for the NBA. Their respective collections of star power not only generate incredible interest in the game, but they also force their conference opponents to sharpen their focus and seek improvements any way they can, whether that's by personnel moves or greater knowledge and execution of their game plans. Both teams raise the bar on what it means to be a championship contender, and that's a good thing.

Ethan Sherwood Strauss, ESPN.com: Good. Let's review the recent evidence. The lockout-shortened 2011-12 season garnered the league's best TV ratings since Michael Jordan. If you recall, that season culminated in a Finals between the Big Three Miami Heat and a favored Thunder squad that boasted three MVP-caliber talents.

The NBA's problem isn't parity; it's scope. The standings look very close to how they finish, 20 games into a season. Even with a wider talent distribution, the season will lack suspense in this way. So, the NBA might as well feature a couple of stacked teams that fans will watch absent serious stakes.

Brian Windhorst, ESPN.com: It depends on whom you ask. There might be seven All-Stars on the two teams. For some, that sort of star clustering is a negative development for competitive balance. But these two teams are also guaranteed draws both in arenas and on TV. Those marquee attractions are business drivers.

Jeremias Engelmann, ESPN Insider: A study showed superteams having a positive influence on viewership in sports leagues. They are fun to watch, and they create more interesting storylines. The last true dynasty, the Bulls of the 1990s, was good for the league. On that note: I wouldn't really call the Cavs a superteam, as they have only two high-impact players, LeBron James and Kevin Love. Their consecutive Finals appearances are more a function of the East being weak.

Kevin Pelton, ESPN Insider: More good than bad. The research I've seen from economists suggests that dominant teams are good for the league to a point. If the outcome starts to feel predetermined, that can be a turnoff to casual fans. Since there remains drama about the Finals if nothing else, I don't think we've yet reached that point.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really bad but what are you going to do. With the new CBA they are trying to find ways to stop it. It is what it is.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really bad but what are you going to do. With the new CBA they are trying to find ways to stop it. It is what it is.

My thoughts exactly. Not fun when basically everyone who likes basketball knows that unless a injury get in the way, there is only 1 team in the league who can prevent the same NBA finals for the 3rd straight year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly. Not fun when basically everyone who likes basketball knows that unless a injury get in the way, there is only 1 team in the league who can prevent the same NBA finals for the 3rd straight year.
I mean look at MLB and NFL, u don't know who will win it. In Basketball we know it will be either Cavs, GS and maybe Spurs. that is it. Those are the only teams that has a chance to win it all. I mean Cavs are just playing against themselves. No team in the East has a shot. I mean there might not even be a team in the East that can get Cavs into a game 7.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an easy question, it's bad for the NBA. I'd like to go into Christmas NOT knowing who is making the NBA Finals, and it's a lock for Cleveland while 90% lock for GSW*. Unless you're a Cavs fan or Warriors fan it's not that exciting considering we saw it 2 years in a row. I know we've had super teams before and teams make 3 or 4 straight finals' in a row, that doesn't make it good. I want parity and unpredictability, and we don't have that in the NBA right now.

*Barring serious injuries to both teams

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah its hard to see anyone outside of those 2 fanbases saying it is a good thing.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For serious NBA fans... its not fun unless you are a Warriors or Cavs fun. This group is already invested in the NBA and would rather see parity and a legit shot for their teams.

For casual NBA fans... its great. It creates intense division. It gives people something to love or something to hate. It creates drama and gives this group a reason to get invested. (The NBA cares more about this group, because its how they grow. They know they have the other group already no matter what).

Side Note: I agree with Engelmann that the Cavs aren't really a super team. They have LeBron and they are in the East... so that makes them the favorites... but they aren't really a super team. And I don't think the Warriors were a super team last year. Only since they added Durant is that a fair label, imo. Since the days of the Showtime Lakers... we've really only had the Heat and then these Warriors... and maybe the Lakers when they lost with Malone & GP.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For serious NBA fans... its not fun unless you are a Warriors or Cavs fun. This group is already invested in the NBA and would rather see parity and a legit shot for their teams.

For casual NBA fans... its great. It creates intense division. It gives people something to love or something to hate. It creates drama and gives this group a reason to get invested. (The NBA cares more about this group, because its how they grow. They know they have the other group already no matter what).

Side Note: I agree with Engelmann that the Cavs aren't really a super team. They have LeBron and they are in the East... so that makes them the favorites... but they aren't really a super team. And I don't think the Warriors were a super team last year. Only since they added Durant is that a fair label, imo. Since the days of the Showtime Lakers... we've really only had the Heat and then these Warriors... and maybe the Lakers when they lost with Malone & GP.

Also, consider the target demographic for the NBA. since the Jordan era, every NBA marketing campaign targets kids and young adults. There are many adult fans out there, but kids are generally more passionate and more interested.

The younger the age of the fan, the more likely they are to be a band wagoner. Since there are so many young fans out there, I believe super teams are great for the league.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying watching my team, and getting excited about the future.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have a loooooong way to go to even get close. The Lakers and Celtics have met in the finals 11 times. The Cavs and Warriors? Twice.

The Lakers and Celtics have been rivals for over 50 years. The Cavs and Warriors haven't played each other enough to call them rivals.

As for the poll. I think it's good for the NBA. Villains are good for professional sports. People like cheering against something almost as much as they like cheering for something.

The only problem is that with KD going to GSW, a lot of people who saw them as the good guys, now see them as villains too. The league needs "good guys" in each conference that have legitimate shots at beating those 2. The only team right now is the Spurs and I have my doubts about them.

Another interesting thing with this is that for years, there were complaints that the small market teams didn't have a chance and the league tried for years to set things up to give them a chance.

Now, you have 2 small market teams dominating the league, some of the better teams in the league are from small markets and now the league wants to stop that because they don't like the way they got there.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good and its really not much of a debate. In any given year throughout the entire history of the league, there's usually 3 to 4 teams that actually have a realistic chance at winning a title so its not like the existence of a super team is ruining the chances of tons of other teams. This season, its still like that, and it just so happens 2 of those teams are "super" teams. Super teams create far more interest for casual fans and that high tide raises all boats for ratings and revenue.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good and its really not much of a debate. In any given year throughout the entire history of the league, there's usually 3 to 4 teams that actually have a realistic chance at winning a title so its not like the existence of a super team is ruining the chances of tons of other teams. This season, its still like that, and it just so happens 2 of those teams are "super" teams. Super teams create far more interest for casual fans and that high tide raises all boats for ratings and revenue.

Yep. I haven't looked up any numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that attendance goes up for teams at games when they are playing a super team over other teams in the NBA.

People don't necessarily want to venture out on a random Wednesday night to see their team play just any NBA team, but they will to see a super team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying watching my team, and getting excited about the future.

Agree. Here's the thing with super teams...they eventually end. Guys get old, guys get hurt, guys move on to other teams. Eventually, they all end.

As a Lakers fan, I know they aren't anywhere near a super team or even a playoff caliber team right now. But I'm still enjoying watching them learn and grow. They have the leagues youngest head coach and one of the youngest core groups of players in the league. It's fun, but also a little frustrating, watching them learn and grow. But if they play their cards right, they could be in position to step back into contender status right about the time the current super teams are starting to get old.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 1996-98 Bulls certainly fall in this group, 3 HOfers in or near their primes. The Malone & Payton Lakers don't count as those 2 were was past their prime.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Here's the thing with super teams...they eventually end. Guys get old, guys get hurt, guys move on to other teams. Eventually, they all end.

As a Lakers fan, I know they aren't anywhere near a super team or even a playoff caliber team right now. But I'm still enjoying watching them learn and grow. They have the leagues youngest head coach and one of the youngest core groups of players in the league. It's fun, but also a little frustrating, watching them learn and grow. But if they play their cards right, they could be in position to step back into contender status right about the time the current super teams are starting to get old.

And rooting AGAINST the super team is fun too, if you aren't a fan of them. I'm a Warriors fan so I'm surely biased but I think non Ws fans who like basketball should appreciate watching a team striving to literally play the game at the highest possible level. And watching a legendary talent like LeBron is worth something too, even if you aren't a Cavs fan. It's more fun watching LeBron play with talent around him than without.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a loooooong way to go to even get close. The Lakers and Celtics have met in the finals 11 times. The Cavs and Warriors? Twice.

The Lakers and Celtics have been rivals for over 50 years. The Cavs and Warriors haven't played each other enough to call them rivals.

As for the poll. I think it's good for the NBA. Villains are good for professional sports. People like cheering against something almost as much as they like cheering for something.

The only problem is that with KD going to GSW, a lot of people who saw them as the good guys, now see them as villains too. The league needs "good guys" in each conference that have legitimate shots at beating those 2. The only team right now is the Spurs and I have my doubts about them.

Another interesting thing with this is that for years, there were complaints that the small market teams didn't have a chance and the league tried for years to set things up to give them a chance.

Now, you have 2 small market teams dominating the league, some of the better teams in the league are from small markets and now the league wants to stop that because they don't like the way they got there.

The Warriors market is not small

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And rooting AGAINST the super team is fun too, if you aren't a fan of them. I'm a Warriors fan so I'm surely biased but I think non Ws fans who like basketball should appreciate watching a team striving to literally play the game at the highest possible level. And watching a legendary talent like LeBron is worth something too, even if you aren't a Cavs fan. It's more fun watching LeBron play with talent around him than without.

Exactly. When the Lakers beat the Warriors earlier this season. It was a lot of fun to watch the Lakers kids playing well against arguably the leagues best team. In the next game when the Warriors made them pay for their insolence, it was still fun to watch (not as much fun, but still fun) because of seeing them play at such an amazingly high level.

Same with the Cavs. I don't like them, I don't like Lebron, but I enjoy basketball being played at a high level, even if I don't like the team doing it.

Last edited: