• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Anaheim Ducks @ Los Angeles Kings, 3/5 1:00 PM, FS-W

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is just my theory, but I think the Ducks will be hitting a slump now.

They were so busy playing catch up and now in first in the division, I think they will hit that wall we have been talking about. It's like complacency, they finally got to first - I fully expect them to lose more games than win in the coming weeks.

It's a psychological thing, and I won't be surprised to see it.

I don't buy this "the Ducks are peaking too soon." They are playing good hockey, hustling, they have insane depth, they're catching breaks (eg power play) and getting solid goaltending. That is how good teams win hockey consistently. The Golden St Warriors are red hot and certainly not peaking too soon, they're just darn good. I don't understand the logic of: team is winning too much. Are they supposed to throttle back and lose a few? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. And this peaking too soon theory or "blowing their wad" concept could easily be applied to Doughty. His minutes are excessive and the Kings did not sign anyone to take the load off of his shoulders.

I think everyone fears the Kings come playoff time. I'll never doubt this regime. But we sound like homers with a convenient narrative regarding the Ducks. They're good and playing better than the Kings right now and I hope the Kings respect them come playoff time.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think comparing basketball to hockey is a mistake. How many cup winning teams have there been that had a run close to this at this time of the season? I don't think the Ducks have the depth you think they do, Perry is the key to that team. Sure Getzlaf and Kesler are important but Perry pretty much sets the tone with being an asshole and producing. I am not sure where your going with comparing team play to Doughty minutes that's just kind of stupid, but if you must know I think DD's minutes are down since the "not signing anyone" pickup of Scuderi.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducks are something like 26-2-2 since Christmas. (guessing on numbers)
No way they can play that way for 50 more games including playoffs.
Puck may be right, that they have reached a goal and now will let up a bit.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ducks have won an insane number of games since Christmas, and they are living off their PP - in the last 2 games against LA alone, 5 of their 7 goals have been PP goals. So it took 1 guy being off the ice for LA to score 71% of their output (the Kings did themselves no favors taking penalties, play stupid games win stupid prizes).

Their goaltending has been excellent, no question about that, but there is just too much going right - a 41%+ PP? You can have Ovechkin, Kopitar, Karlsson, Doughty and Benn on that PP unit and it won't produce that much.

That won't be happening in April because referees tend to put their whistles away and teams really tighten up defensively (blocked shots, more physical play, net protection) and scoring goes down.

I said this about LA throughout the season, remember "things are going TOO well"? Look what happens - Gaborik gets hurt, the defense becomes a jumbled mess and the month of Feb they tread water allowing teams to catch up.

There is a psychology to sports, Dumbo and any successful GM acknowledges it and there are disciplines about it, books, businesses that focus on keeping athletes sharp. I'm sticking to my theory, they will be stumbling into the playoffs.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think comparing basketball to hockey is a mistake. How many cup winning teams have there been that had a run close to this at this time of the season? I don't think the Ducks have the depth you think they do, Perry is the key to that team. Sure Getzlaf and Kesler are important but Perry pretty much sets the tone with being an asshole and producing. I am not sure where your going with comparing team play to Doughty minutes that's just kind of stupid, but if you must know I think DD's minutes are down since the "not signing anyone" pickup of Scuderi.

I'm not comparing team play to individual play. I'm questioning the logic being used. Perhaps the argument is law of averages: Ducks are playing at a level not statistically sustainable. Fair enough, but the "blowing their wad" theory is silly. That theory would insinuate that Doughty is playing too many minutes and will blow his wad and be worn down come playoff time. That's all I was pointing out.

Yes, the Ducks will not sustain this pace and perhaps I exaggerated their depth, it's solid not insane. But what is insane is suggesting Scuderi was an upgrade. Pulease. You know more about hockey than I do, but watching his play right now, he's not the same Scuderi I watched in 2012- someone with my meager hockey insight can visualize that.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Some food for thought:

Fortunately, the truth of the game lies somewhere between a Kings loss and a Ducks win. The Ducks benefited from a good bounce on their third goal. The Kings carried a lot of the play. It was a loss, but it was an even game. If you're looking at how these teams stack up in the playoffs, the answer is: about equally. These are two of the league's very best, and tonight they stood toe to toe and exchanged punches for the full 60 minutes. The Ducks got the decision, but I'm sure the Kings aren't intimidated by a Spring rematch.

Here is the entire article

RECAP: The Fight for First

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That SOB Perron was an excellent pick up for them, he sucked in Pittsburgh. I'm afraid it is the same effect as when we got Gaborik. Hope I'm wrong come playoff time.

A tweet from Jon Rosen should help calm fears about the pickup

reminder that Perron, who now has three goals and seven points in six games with Anaheim, has been a playoff non-factor in his career.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it hard to believe you cant see Scuderi's play as an upgrade to Mcstiff or Erhoff. No he is not some sort of puck moving fleet of foot Norris candidate, he is solid in his own end and will be good on the PK helping take some minutes from DD. He is older but not nearly worthless as Hawk fans think and probably the best choice of dmen that actually got traded

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scuderi has really shored up that third pairing, and I agree way better than Ehrhoff did. McBain hasn't been bad defensively but he is a better skater and at least can try to skate the puck out of trouble. Ehrhoff wasn't assertive like that and was making mistakes all over the place too. In hindsight it was a mismatch here in LA from the get go but based on the hole that still exists because of Voynov it was worth a gamble being so cheap.

I think the swap of both guys filled a need for both teams with Scuderi fitting into LA as a defense first team and Ehrhoff should fit into Chicago better being a puck moving possession team. Just a better fit for each player on different teams now.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scuderi has really shored up that third pairing, and I agree way better than Ehrhoff did. McBain hasn't been bad defensively but he is a better skater and at least can try to skate the puck out of trouble. Ehrhoff wasn't assertive like that and was making mistakes all over the place too. In hindsight it was a mismatch here in LA from the get go but based on the hole that still exists because of Voynov it was worth a gamble being so cheap.

I think the swap of both guys filled a need for both teams with Scuderi fitting into LA as a defense first team and Ehrhoff should fit into Chicago better being a puck moving possession team. Just a better fit for each player on different teams now.

That's makes tons of sense, as I noted in the Scuderi thread that the Kings' system will benefit him. But he is not a pick up that changes their playoff odds. 2012 Scuderi did not walk through the door.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's makes tons of sense, as I noted in the Scuderi thread that the Kings' system will benefit him. But he is not a pick up that changes their playoff odds. 2012 Scuderi did not walk through the door.

I'll take 2016 Scuderi over Ehrhoff, who clearly couldn't adapt to LA's system. He's stabilized that bottom pair, which helps - limited minutes but a veteran presence who plays his defensive role well.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scuderi's TOI last night vs Vanloser was 23:41, much of it with Doughty who played almost 28 min. Scuderi also played 5 min on PK, most on the team. Not at all minor minutes.

From the AHL with the Blackhosers to major minutes on Kings during run to the playoffs... What a difference a team's system makes.

(Ehrhoff was a healthy scratch Monday vs Wings)

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox mentioned the Kings d pairings have stayed the same since Scuderi was acquired, that's the kind of stability a guy like him brings. Even older he is steady

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0-1-1 weird

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the tank continues

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
outscored 10-3 since this game with the Kings

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep those losses coming, I want to see that team unravel completely by the end of the month.

Kings have a chance to go 3 up on them tonight, but this is a trap game. NJ sucks but they also shut out LA in Feb if I recall, which was the start of the pseudo-skid that month. I'm expecting Enroth to start, been a while for him and this is the perfect game to get into.

We're going to our first Reign game tonight against the SD Gulls so I'll miss most of it but hopefully can catch the replay later on.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you compare Ducks and Warriors? Difference is the Warriors have been great the entire season, dominating teams from start to finish. Plus they are world champs. Ducks came out of the gate awful then all of a sudden flip it around? It's fair to think they are maybe somewhere in the middle of atrocious (like the beginning) and unbeatable (like they have been lately.)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Ehrhoff was a healthy scratch Monday vs Wings)

Not sure if anyone saw this last week, but Reaves was ejected for this hit and then the match penalty was rescinded much like what happened to LA vs. Phoenix earlier this season with Muzzin. Makes me wonder if it was a knee jerk call or if they knew it was Ehrhoff who has a history of concussions or if they saw it was Reaves or a combination of all three.

Ehrhoff went down hard, and as much as I can't stand Reaves because he is useless this didn't warrant any penalty in my opinion. Good clean check, never saw any contact to the head but the refs made the call.

The only thing I can think of that *maybe* makes this a penalty is that Ehrhoff didn't touch the puck, but he was in the vicinity and was going for it, saw Reaves coming and bailed out at the last second. Too late, Reaves is on his way in and there was nothing he could have done to stop himself.

The Hawks ended up with a 5 minute major like the Dogs did and scored on it as well.

Refs ejection of Ryan Reaves shows NHL softness