• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB Smith: Big step will be learning to run again

Hmm - well Alex Smith is tough if nothing else. I am pretty amazed that he is considering playing again given his current status & age. If this ever occurred I doubt it would be for the Redskins & he will be at a pretty advanced age & coming off a major injury so I kind of scratching me head on this one (if it ever occurs).

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB Smith: Big step will be learning to run again

Hmm - well Alex Smith is tough if nothing else. I am pretty amazed that he is considering playing again given his current status & age. If this ever occurred I doubt it would be for the Redskins & he will be at a pretty advanced age & coming off a major injury so I kind of scratching me head on this one (if it ever occurs).

Alex Smith is a very smart man and he is a competitor. As a competitor I am sure he wants to play again. As a business man who is owed $21 million a year for the next three years why would he say anything else other than "I plan to play again."

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith is a very smart man and he is a competitor. As a competitor I am sure he wants to play again. As a business man who is owed $21 million a year for the next three years why would he say anything else other than "I plan to play again."
This. Alex has to make it seem like he is doing all he can to play again. He does this, he gets his 21M.
In reality, Alex will never step on a field again as a player.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was in decline before the injury but that being said the only thing he will be for the redskins is a BU qb because this is haskins team in the future .

the FO will have to decide if they want to pay that for a BU . they could because haskins is on a rookie deal but that would be foolish in my humble opinion

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was in decline before the injury but that being said the only thing he will be for the redskins is a BU qb because this is haskins team in the future .

the FO will have to decide if they want to pay that for a BU . they could because haskins is on a rookie deal but that would be foolish in my humble opinion

Funny, not haha note. Cousin's started three years. During those three years he did not have a contract the following year. He made a total of about $44 million or $14 million dollar average. Never missed a game. The FO decides not to sign him, overpays for Smith who may have only played half a season for a similar or higher amount of money. Luck of the draw I guess.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, not haha note. Cousin's started three years. During those three years he did not have a contract the following year. He made a total of about $44 million or $14 million dollar average. Never missed a game. The FO decides not to sign him, overpays for Smith who may have only played half a season for a similar or higher amount of money. Luck of the draw I guess.
people just wanted KC gone . that's all it was . it wont be admitted to but that is the bottom line

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith was nothing short of a colossal failure that many people predicted.

The sad part is the people who all knew, (and knew is the right word bc I never had a doubt he would fail) don’t even work in football for a living

Fans and armchair GMs literally have more wit and know then the desicion makers for the Redskins

How is this supposed to inspire any hope for the future?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The sad part is the people who all knew, (and knew is the right word bc I never had a doubt he would fail) don’t even work in football for a living

Fans and armchair GMs literally have more wit and know then the desicion makers for the Redskins

It is just a side story - it really doesn't have much to do with the current time. Haskins is their future. It is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Redskins will pay Smith a big chunk of money & within a few years be rid of his cap hit (not much they can do). As others have stated here - I doubt that he ever takes the field especially for the Redskins. Fortunately they will have Haskins on the rookie contract during that time.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, but it doesn't matter what he says at this pt. He just shows up for the physicals, fails them & collects his money. He may have fallen short in certain areas, but he seems like a genuine person so I believe him when he says that he wants to play. Whether that actually happens is quite another story & even if it does one of his strengths is his mobility so that at least would be pretty limited especially given his age. Oh well - wish him the best moving fwd.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because we arm chair GMs don't give a hoot about revenue. A big part of the Alex Smith decision is having an opportunity to sell more merchandise and potentially bring more seats into the stadium. They knew Colt wouldn't do that. They were wrong.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just a side story - it really doesn't have much to do with the current time. Haskins is their future. It is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Redskins will pay Smith a big chunk of money & within a few years be rid of his cap hit (not much they can do). As others have stated here - I doubt that he ever takes the field especially for the Redskins. Fortunately they will have Haskins on the rookie contract during that time.
Except for the fact that the same organization that so missed on Smith are the same ones making the decisions on Haskins. I have no idea if Haskins will succeed. I hope so. But lets be honest. He played one season of NCAA ball. There is a shit load we don't know about Haskins and neither do they. Clearly the best thing for Haskins is to sit behind others this year and learn (and let the organization learn about him). But we have a HC who has to be on the hotseat to get to the playoffs. In a very competitive division. We go 1-3 out of the shoot, the pressure alone will force Gruden to put the kid in. That could be disastrous. Or it could work. I know which scenario I would bet on, given that I have been a fan for 40 years and have seen what has happened over the last 20.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for the fact that the same organization that so missed on Smith are the same ones making the decisions on Haskins. I have no idea if Haskins will succeed. I hope so. But lets be honest. He played one season of NCAA ball. There is a shit load we don't know about Haskins and neither do they. Clearly the best thing for Haskins is to sit behind others this year and learn (and let the organization learn about him). But we have a HC who has to be on the hotseat to get to the playoffs. In a very competitive division. We go 1-3 out of the shoot, the pressure alone will force Gruden to put the kid in. That could be disastrous. Or it could work. I know which scenario I would bet on, given that I have been a fan for 40 years and have seen what has happened over the last 20.

Agree about Haskins & just about all QBs that are drafted are a crapshoot - we will see. At least the current QB outlook appears a lot better than at the end of last season. I sure hope that the team is focused more on the long term (since they ain't going to the SB). However - in line w/ your pt - that will be tough given that Gruden is & should be all about the present. Will be entertaining if nothing else.

I am not sure that I agree with your first sentence. I definitely get a sense that Bruce Allen has a lot less power at Redskins Park at this time. I think that his current role is more in running PR & Admin type duties & others make almost all of the personnel decisions. I think that the Smith trade may have been his last major personnel move for the Allen. Of course there is no way to prove this, but it certainly appears that a lot of other folks are running the draft & FA moves at this time.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about Haskins & just about all QBs that are drafted are a crapshoot - we will see. At least the current QB outlook appears a lot better than at the end of last season. I sure hope that the team is focused more on the long term (since they ain't going to the SB). However - in line w/ your pt - that will be tough given that Gruden is & should be all about the present. Will be entertaining if nothing else.

I am not sure that I agree with your first sentence. I definitely get a sense that Bruce Allen has a lot less power at Redskins Park at this time. I think that his current role is more in running PR & Admin type duties & others make almost all of the personnel decisions. I think that the Smith trade may have been his last major personnel move for the Allen. Of course there is no way to prove this, but it certainly appears that a lot of other folks are running the draft & FA moves at this time.
I can only hope you are right about Allen, but I don’t get that sense.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith still has some guaranteed money coming to him. he wouldn't get it if he just retired. probably just wants that last guaranteed portion.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because we arm chair GMs don't give a hoot about revenue. A big part of the Alex Smith decision is having an opportunity to sell more merchandise and potentially bring more seats into the stadium. They knew Colt wouldn't do that. They were wrong.

100%

Which is why that was the trade that pushed me over the edge.

The trade wasnt about winning SBs it was about staying relevant enough to capitalize on merchandising and ticket sales.

It was obviously not a football decision and its why I stopped rooting for the team. Ownership and management is as fucked up as it can possibly be.

Still holding out some hope that the NFL steps in ala New Orleans Pelicans and forces a sale. Or a wiseguy pays Snyder a home visit that forces a sale.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100%

The trade wasnt about winning SBs it was about staying relevant enough to capitalize on merchandising and ticket sales.

It was obviously not a football decision and its why I stopped rooting for the team. Ownership and management is as fucked up as it can possibly be.

Still holding out some hope that the NFL steps in ala New Orleans Pelicans and forces a sale. Or a wiseguy pays Snyder a home visit that forces a sale.
I doubt your analysis is correct as far as marketing and ticket sales . It had everything to do with not liking KC. And shanny being right about Mesus and right about KC

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100%

The latter is more likely than the former. Snyder and the redskins still make big bucks for the NFL.