• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith to Washington

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Smith is actually becoming a better nfl QB as he gets older, then this may not turn out to be awful for the skins. If he can consistently get them to the playoffs, it will be better than what they have had in recent past.

personally, i'm skeptical that Smith is actually any better though. i think most of it had to do with Reid's system (which makes a lot of QB's put up better stats) and better talent around Smith on offense

but i suppose time will tell .....

I saw Smith do things this year he has never done in his NFL career before. I do think he was better in part because of the talent of others. I still think he is a QB that is not going to carry a team the way Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady does. If the oline struggles and/or the run game is not there to support him, Alex will struggle

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins are fucking stupid for letting Cousins walk. Even if he costs extra money he's a better player and will produce more wins. I think Denver is a good spot for Kirk.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins are fucking stupid for letting Cousins walk. Even if he costs extra money he's a better player and will produce more wins. I think Denver is a good spot for Kirk.
I am glad the skins are dumb. I watched kirk several times and he got better each year. Smith lost his starting job to Kap so that says lots right there.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they had much of a choice. He was going to cost them way too much.
The trade was questionable and the extension made it worse, but I don't think there was a snowballs chance on hell Cousins was going going to be a Redskin in 2018.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they had much of a choice. He was going to cost them way too much.
The trade was questionable and the extension made it worse, but I don't think there was a snowballs chance on hell Cousins was going going to be a Redskin in 2018.
The cost is negligible when you're talking about how much better you are with Cousins vs. Smith.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins manage to screw things up beyond belief with the QB situation. Trading and signing Smith at least helps with damage control some. They aren't going to be contenders with Smith, but at hopefully not going to be embarrassing bad.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/andy-reid-chiefs-emerge-real-115622839.html

WINNERS
Kansas City Chiefs/Andy Reid: For the second time in his career, Andy Reid has dealt an end-of-career quarterback to Washington for a useful bounty in return. Back in 2010 it was Donovan McNabb, who netted Reid a second-round pick that season and a mid-round pick the season after. Winning franchises can afford to continue drafting quarterbacks and flipping them for useful assets so long as there is someone capable remaining on the roster taking snaps. It’s obviously a gamble for the Chiefs to bet the house on 2017 first-round pick Patrick Mahomes, but after losing in the first round of the playoffs amid a career year from Smith, they have an accurate picture of the true ceiling they’d have with Smith under center.

From a schematic standpoint, Andy Reid negates the loss of his offensive coordinator by reloading this offseason and returning in 2018 with an entirely new look.

Alex Smith: At the end of the day, football is about the long con: Taking care of yourself and your family while playing a thrilling but dangerous game. Smith, who will turn 34 in May and is 2-5 all time in playoff games, has signed the type of end-of-career contract that aging relief pitchers dream about in Major League Baseball. According to various reports, it nets him $70 million in guaranteed money and takes him through his age 38 season.

Scot McCloughan: The ousted Washington general manager, who momentarily placed the franchise back on solid ground, gets to simply chuckle at his former employer on Twitter while the house burns down. With Jay Gruden as a head coach, Washington’s offense will certainly be effective enough to win games, but it will be difficult to see them return to the playoffs (as they did with McCloughan’s help) with a healthy Carson Wentz and non-suspended Ezekiel Elliott prowling the NFC East.

Cleveland Browns: Cousins seems like a natural fit in Cleveland, a team with illuminati-type cap space and nothing to lose this offseason. As they showed with the Brock Osweiler deal last season, the war chest left behind by former general manager Sashi Brown can gobble up the worst of contracts without skipping a beat. Cousins, who is no longer a threat to be franchise tagged or transition tagged, can help formulate their draft and free agency strategy and for the first time in more than a decade, the club can start the season with relative stability at the quarterback position. Having the trade unofficially formalized this early also allows them a ton of time to solidify their options and potentially tinker with their incredible position in the 2018 draft (picks 1 and 4).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOSERS
Washington: As a fan of this team, how do you wake up on Wednesday morning thinking they got any better? Smith’s career year this season was slightly more impactful than what Cousins puts up on a yearly basis (over the past three years, Cousins averaged 4,392 yards, 27 touchdowns and 12 interceptions per season, while Smith averaged 3,677 yards, 20 touchdowns and seven interceptions over that same time). While the Robert Griffin III swoon produces some painful memories, would you rather the team use the draft capital they handed to Kansas City to move up and acquire a young quarterback in the draft?

Alex Smith: Smith gets to take care of himself for the rest of his life, but does he ever make the playoffs again? It’s a legitimate question. Jim Harbaugh and Andy Reid got him there, but both are viewed as some of the most exceptional schematic coaches in the NFL. Does Jay Gruden have the type of play calling rhythm, offensive line and running back cadre to boost Smith properly?

Prospective teams searching for a QB: Taking Smith off the market early is interesting. So much of free agency is bluffing amid the unknown. That isn’t possible now that arguably the third-best available quarterback is spoken for. Assuming Drew Brees works out a short-term agreement with the Saints, it’s now Cousins, Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford, Case Keenum or the NFL draft. There are clearly preferable options for QB-needy teams looking to make the playoffs in 2018 and those options just got slightly more expensive.

Kirk Cousins: Cousins loses some contractual leverage here. Washington was backed into a corner monetarily after franchising him twice in a row, but Cousins knew that each one-year deal only heightened the low end of his salary. Now, there is no threat to return to Washington. Cousins is finally setting himself up to be judged fairly by the open market, and there’s a chance it isn’t as kind to him as expected.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently there are some people that think Washington still tags Cousins so they can trade him

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOSERS
Washington: As a fan of this team, how do you wake up on Wednesday morning thinking they got any better? Smith’s career year this season was slightly more impactful than what Cousins puts up on a yearly basis (over the past three years, Cousins averaged 4,392 yards, 27 touchdowns and 12 interceptions per season, while Smith averaged 3,677 yards, 20 touchdowns and seven interceptions over that same time). While the Robert Griffin III swoon produces some painful memories, would you rather the team use the draft capital they handed to Kansas City to move up and acquire a young quarterback in the draft?

Alex Smith: Smith gets to take care of himself for the rest of his life, but does he ever make the playoffs again? It’s a legitimate question. Jim Harbaugh and Andy Reid got him there, but both are viewed as some of the most exceptional schematic coaches in the NFL. Does Jay Gruden have the type of play calling rhythm, offensive line and running back cadre to boost Smith properly?

Prospective teams searching for a QB: Taking Smith off the market early is interesting. So much of free agency is bluffing amid the unknown. That isn’t possible now that arguably the third-best available quarterback is spoken for. Assuming Drew Brees works out a short-term agreement with the Saints, it’s now Cousins, Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford, Case Keenum or the NFL draft. There are clearly preferable options for QB-needy teams looking to make the playoffs in 2018 and those options just got slightly more expensive.

Kirk Cousins: Cousins loses some contractual leverage here. Washington was backed into a corner monetarily after franchising him twice in a row, but Cousins knew that each one-year deal only heightened the low end of his salary. Now, there is no threat to return to Washington. Cousins is finally setting himself up to be judged fairly by the open market, and there’s a chance it isn’t as kind to him as expected.

LOL, when I saw that. Harbaugh was a really good coach overall, but not because of X and Os

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you mean by he did more than what Cousins did. You list a number of things wrong with Washington that Cousins didn't have like a running game and oline. Those are things that Smith will not deal with well

Well in 2016, Alex Smith had Spencer Ware as his leading rusher and he rushed for under 1,000 yards. Also, in 2015, Alex Smith had Charcandrick West as his leading rusher after Charles got hurt and West rushed for under 700 yards. So I'd say he's used to having shit running games and still going to the playoffs.

Speaking on his defenses sucking against the run, 2017 was the only year where the Chiefs defense has done really badly against the run.

Also, I think people are forgetting that Alex Smith just had the best season of his career. At 33. He was in the MVP race until the Chiefs started sucking and giving up points to literally everyone. I don't really see this as such a bad move for the Redskins, but the QB position wasn't a position they really needed to worry about. It was all the other ones surrounding him lol.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Whispers*

Ware has a career 4.6 YPC and a 4.3 YPC in 2016, and was 8th amongst RB's in scrimmage yards per game and 10th overall in 2016. His rushing productivity coincides with a concussion he suffered against the Colts. He's actually pretty decent; the Chiefs don't run the ball religiously nor should they.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cost is negligible when you're talking about how much better you are with Cousins vs. Smith.
It would cost the Skins 34M to have Cousins on the roster in 2018 that's a long way from negligible.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:dingdingding:

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It feels like the Redskins were worried that Cousins would maybe turn out to be a lot like Alex Smith...
That his numbers would eventually drop to what
Cousin produces.:noidea:

Last edited: