• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL East has been interesting this offseason.

I do have to say--- the Rays and Blue Jays have not done much.

Rays basically lose Wander Franco-- trade Glasnow- lose Stephenson and Dieman.

Blue Jays maybe/probably not bringing back Chapman after signing Turner. Lose Ryu, Kiermaier, Hicks.....

Orioles and Yanks only teams to make major positive moves. Red Sox brought some guys in but sent out a lot and still lack a LOT of SP and have ancient RP.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t believe the Yankees allowed this
didnt even have to give up any of their really good prospects either- thought for sure Mayo, Kjersted or Cowser (and obv. not Holiday)...........Hall is a pretty good prospect- but not near on the tier of the other guys.

Now- I will say- Burnes on a 1 year deal- and he was not as good last year as he previously had been......going into the AL East will be an adjustment as well-- i understand why they didnt have to give up one of their big 4 prospects--- but it is still somewhat surprising.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my prediction on Burnes is he will not be as good as his name value will imply he will be this year.

1. Last ear his ERA went up to 3.39---- previous seasons- 2.94, 2.43, 2.11

2. K numbers starting to do down- 200 in 193 IP last year.....before that he had been well over 1K per inning for a while.

3. Going from the parks and teams in the NL Central to the AL East is going to be an eye opener- lot different pitching in Camden, Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Rogers Centre against the Yanks, Sox, Blue jays than in Milwaukee, or in Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh.

4. It is ridiculous- but hes thrown about 600 IP in the last 3 years (including playoffs)- just not that many guys in todays game (which is sad/pathetic) that can throw high volume innings for a lot of years in a row without experiencing injury or wear and tear.

Now- the Orioles dont need him to be amazing - and the price I think was solid for them to pay--- but I would not expect this to be like their answer to Gerrit Cole or anything.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burnes is a legit #1 pitcher.
Bradish pitched like a legit #1 pitcher in the second half of last year.
Rodriguez was also lights out when he came back up. He slots in at #3.
Means is back - he pitched well in his cup of coffee last year returning from Tommy John.
Kremer is a great #5 - sometimes great, often ok, sometimes not great, rarely awful.

Still have Wells, Colw Irvin, and perhaps minor leaguers (Rom, McDermitt, etc).

The O’s didnt even have to give up any major prospects. Ortiz has great minor league stats but no place to play in Baltimore.

DL Hall has great stuff, and could be a top of the rotation guy, but hadnt put together starters stuff yet.

This is a fabulous trade for the Orioles.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. That's a great trade for the O's IMO. I like Ortiz but the O's are absolutely loaded in the infield, he had no clear path to regular playing time in Baltimore. Hall has elite strikeout rates, but also comes with a lot of walks. That's not to say I think the Brewers got fleeced (I think it's a solid return), it's just the Orioles had such infield depth that they could shrug off trading Ortiz.

It'll be interesting to see if they extend him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burnes is a legit #1 pitcher.
Bradish pitched like a legit #1 pitcher in the second half of last year.
Rodriguez was also lights out when he came back up. He slots in at #3.
Means is back - he pitched well in his cup of coffee last year returning from Tommy John.
Kremer is a great #5 - sometimes great, often ok, sometimes not great, rarely awful.

Still have Wells, Colw Irvin, and perhaps minor leaguers (Rom, McDermitt, etc).

The O’s didnt even have to give up any major prospects. Ortiz has great minor league stats but no place to play in Baltimore.

DL Hall has great stuff, and could be a top of the rotation guy, but hadnt put together starters stuff yet.

This is a fabulous trade for the Orioles.
I def. think its a good trade for the Orioles. They have the depth in the minor leagues and on the major league roster to give up the 12 or so controllable years of Hall and Ortiz--- they are ready to win- this is the one piece they needed.

They have plenty of payroll flexibility to sign him too. He will be extremely motivated being in a contract year. I think Means is going to help quite a bit too this year. Orioles are loaded. Interesting to see if Grayson can take the next step.

Question for O's fans--- is this a direct result of new ownership? Does this deal happen if their is not a sale of the team?

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it’s an accident that this trade happened after the sale of the team was announced.

I would bet that now that their is an out for Angelos, he’s willing to out a more competitive team on the field. He doesnt have to resort to his bullshit “we’re so poor” excuses that he likes to cry whenever anybody asks him why he isnt improving the team.

The new ownership cant have approved the trade because MLB hasnt approved the sale yet.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Burnes is 75% of his peak Cy Young value.....
It was still a very good deal for the Orioles. They needed a front line innings eater veteran starter.

They don't need him to be the best pitcher in the league.
If they get 180+ innings and a 3.75 ERA would be exactly what the Orioles fans have been begging for all off-season.
That seems totally reasonable. Anything else would be house money.

As for the price (Not Bad at all).

Ortiz was never going to fit into the mix. There just was not logical space for him. The O's have younger/better guys at his position.
I figured he would have been traded weeks ago for some pitching.

DL Hall may or may not come back to haunt the Orioles. I feel like he has been an elite top prospect for 5-6 years now.
Maybe he reaches his ace potential in Milwaukee....the odds were dwindling in Baltimore.

The only downsides is that it is a one year of control thing.

Back to Back Division titles here we come.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3