• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron's 499 @ DEGA!

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little opinion piece I found over at SB Nation:

Restrictor plate racing is exciting, random and ultimately unfulfilling

I caught some criticism at the end of Saturday's Nationwide Series race at Talladega Superspeedway. The race ended under twilight with Regan Smith having been declared the winner as a result of the caution coming out just after the final accident had been initiated by Parker Kligerman and Brian Vickers.

This prompted me to tweet that "this isn't racing. I'm very entertained but this is pure carnival." The declaration didn't go over well with most of the diehards.

First, I don't fault any decision that NASCAR made over the course of a long afternoon in North Alabama. The league did everything in its power to ensure that fans saw a race and were not disappointed by the show.

To that end, they started the race as soon as they could, at 5:20 p.m. with a 7:30 sundown. NASCAR worked tirelessly to clean up each accident quickly and efficiently with darkness looming. They shortened the race, cutting two green-white-checkered attempts, all in the name of providing fans who waited all afternoon with a clear and decisive winner on the race track.

Again, I thought it was an absolute thrill to watch, especially off the final restart with a legitimate underdog in Alex Bowman pushing Joey Logano against NASCAR champions Kurt Busch and Brian Vickers. The final two laps were an example of drama that can't be replicated by any other entertainment medium on the planet -- it just didn't feel very filling.

When it was over and I digested the fact that Smith had somehow been declared the winner, the only thing I felt was emptiness. I'm still not entirely sure of what factors led to Smith scoring his first victory of the season, but it didn't seem legitimate.

That's not to say it doesn't count or that Smith and JR Motorsports are undeserving of the honors -- they absolutely are. But there are factors worth considering.

Initially, the winner of the race was believed to be Kasey Kahne, as he crossed the line 0.009 of a second ahead of Smith. But NASCAR had thrown the yellow before the leaders crossed the line, and the league was forced to review the video tape to determine who was leading at the time of caution.

This added to the drama and the immediate sensation of satisfaction. After all, the race was decidedly over, but the winner of the event was still shrouded in mystery. NASCAR has this rule in place in order to protect the competitors from additional damage or harm in the final moments of the race, but this was negated by Kahne's assessment that he was going to stay on the gas no matter what.

"I think there's been plenty of times when there has been wrecks in 3 or 4, and we've just raced to the line at the end," Kahne said during the postrace press conference. "As soon as they started wrecking, I saw the caution. I still raced to the line, and we had a good enough run to get there and be the first there."

So what's the point of a rule, in the name of safety, if the drivers are not going to adhere to it and it serves no other purpose but to decide the outcome of the race? Most drivers worth their weight in trophies are going to stay in the gas because, honestly, they don't know what NASCAR will decide to do from scenario-to-scenario and don't have the reaction time to make a decision that close to the line -- so why not let them race?

Under either decision, it feels random, and that's what ultimately leaves me sour about restrictor plate racing -- no matter in tandem or packs.

Is there a place for it in NASCAR? Absolutely. And despite it all, I still look forward to coming to Daytona and Talladega four times a season. I just don't leave with the same sense of glee. There's too much carnage, too much risk and too much that feels like we're just watching a show instead of a legitimate athletic spectacle.

NASCAR did right by the fans, though, and that's always the number one priority. In that regard, well done and lets try it again Sunday.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite track

I like this one too. There are several I really enjoy though: Darlington, my home state track, is as unique as it gets and usually creates some great races. i.e. the Kurt Busch, Ricky Craven finish a while back. Then there's Charlotte which I normally got to at least once a year. Richmond is awesome as well. Super fast short track action. Bristol used to be on the list but since the gradual banking was installed, Bristol has fallen off my list. Of course Daytona is on the list too. Rockingham used to be one of my favorites as well. Another unique track, but has since fallen by the wayside. Let me think, there could be others.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES!" Chipper Jones.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JR. in trouble already. I jinx everyone I pick in my fantasy racing league. :L
Let's see what happens to Harvick, Almirola, and Mears.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he back on the lead lap? He being junior

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there's the big one. I hate this plate racing. Such a joke. It's not racing at all.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love plate racing. Much better than that tandem crap.

The 18 started that one

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JR. in trouble already. I jinx everyone I pick in my fantasy racing league. :L
Let's see what happens to Harvick, Almirola, and Mears.

Alrighty then. Harvick and Mears involved in that wreck.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger, how is that parenting thing going? Got the kiddo snoozin so you can watch teh race unfettered?