• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look down on the farm

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checking in on some of the prospects.

A Everett

Justin Seager (69 ABs) - .333 with 1 HR and 10 RBI's. 15 K's and 2 BB.
DJ Peterson (72 ABs) - .264 with 5 HRs and 19 RBI's. Slugging .528 with an OPS of .853

A+ Clinton

C - Tyler Malette leading the team in hitting at a .309 clip with 6 HR's in 165 AB's
RHP - Dylan Unsworth - 4-1 in 10 starts with a 2.47 ERA and a .90 WHIP. 44K's in 62 IP
LHP - Tyler Pike - 5-3 in 15 starts with a 2.54 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP. 66K's in 78 IP

AA Jackson

LF - Julio Morban - (218 ABs) - .298 / .352 OBP with 5 HRs, 32 RBI's, and 15 doubles.
CF - James Jones (285 ABs) - .277 / .340 OBP with 5 HR's, 40 RBI's, 13 doubles, 8 triples, and 20 Stolen bases (6 caught).

AAA Tacoma

P - Tijuan Walker (3 starts) - 2-0 0.56 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 16K's in 16 IP
OF - Abraham Almonte (151 ABs) .318 / .394 OBP / .831 OPS, 3 HR's, 7 doubles, 9 SB, 3 CS
LF - Stefen Romero (240 ABs) .296 / .350 / .796 OPS. 5 HR's, 44 RBI's, 17 doubles

Just for starters.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im liking what i see out of Abraham Almonte i went to a rainers game a week ago and saw him play he looked very good in the OF and very comfortable at the plate i think he went like 2/4 with a 1b&2b

and ive always been a big fan of Tyler Pike.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff.

Prospects are just such a crap shoot when it comes to MLB.

Ackley's numbers were more impressive than Almonte's and Romero's when he was called up, especially with the .900+ OPS.

They've really taken their time with Walker, and I'm betting he'll get called up in September if he keeps his ERA under 2.50.

I saw Seager and Peterson last week when they were in town playing a local A team. Both are big boys. Peterson already with a lot of errors at 3B, so I guess we'll see what happens with that.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think Walker gets the call this year. He is approaching his innings limit and will be handled very carefully. He will probably shut down before September once the minor league season ends. I do think he will have a chance to compete for a spot next year in the rotation.

I think Felix, Kuma, Ramriez will have rotation spots.
Maybe 1 FA signing
#5 guy will be come from Hultzen/Maurer/Walker/Paxton. I would of given Hultzen the edge but his rotator cuff his becoming an issue.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think Walker gets the call this year. He is approaching his innings limit and will be handled very carefully. He will probably shut down before September once the minor league season ends. I do think he will have a chance to compete for a spot next year in the rotation.

I think Felix, Kuma, Ramriez will have rotation spots.
Maybe 1 FA signing
#5 guy will be come from Hultzen/Maurer/Walker/Paxton. I would of given Hultzen the edge but his rotator cuff his becoming an issue.

I didn't realize Walker was close to his limit. That actually makes me very happy. No need to rush.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checking in on some of the prospects.

A Everett

Justin Seager (69 ABs) - .333 with 1 HR and 10 RBI's. 15 K's and 2 BB.
DJ Peterson (72 ABs) - .264 with 5 HRs and 19 RBI's. Slugging .528 with an OPS of .853

A+ Clinton

C - Tyler Malette leading the team in hitting at a .309 clip with 6 HR's in 165 AB's
RHP - Dylan Unsworth - 4-1 in 10 starts with a 2.47 ERA and a .90 WHIP. 44K's in 62 IP
LHP - Tyler Pike - 5-3 in 15 starts with a 2.54 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP. 66K's in 78 IP

AA Jackson

LF - Julio Morban - (218 ABs) - .298 / .352 OBP with 5 HRs, 32 RBI's, and 15 doubles.
CF - James Jones (285 ABs) - .277 / .340 OBP with 5 HR's, 40 RBI's, 13 doubles, 8 triples, and 20 Stolen bases (6 caught).

AAA Tacoma

P - Tijuan Walker (3 starts) - 2-0 0.56 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 16K's in 16 IP
OF - Abraham Almonte (151 ABs) .318 / .394 OBP / .831 OPS, 3 HR's, 7 doubles, 9 SB, 3 CS
LF - Stefen Romero (240 ABs) .296 / .350 / .796 OPS. 5 HR's, 44 RBI's, 17 doubles

Just for starters.

-Seagers bro, I like that they drafted Seager not only because of Kyle but it appears he should be able to hit. Still a long way off still.

-DJ, I really hope they don't rush Dj Peterson. In my opinion he seems like a guy that needs to gradually progress through the minor leagues.

-I don't know much about Dylan Unsworth, but from the stats you show that is a pretty impressive season thus far.

-Big fan of Tyler Pike! Even last season in rookie ball he looked good. He is still only 19 years old so he has some developing to do still. Potential middle of the order guy in the future.

-Big fan of Morban also. I think he could be a future starting outfielder down the road.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im liking what i see out of Abraham Almonte i went to a rainers game a week ago and saw him play he looked very good in the OF and very comfortable at the plate i think he went like 2/4 with a 1b&2b

and ive always been a big fan of Tyler Pike.

I like Abe a lot also but I do have a lot of concerns about him. He started his AAA season off hitting really really well. His average looks good but it is a result of how well he started. If he didn't have his hot start his average would be in the .265 range. Another concern I have with him is in 8 minor league seasons he has never hit as well as he has in Tacoma. This very well could be a fluke. I do like him though and think there is a ton of potential with him.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff.

Prospects are just such a crap shoot when it comes to MLB.

Ackley's numbers were more impressive than Almonte's and Romero's when he was called up, especially with the .900+ OPS.

Very true prospects are often times coin flips.

Ackley's numbers or stats may have been more impressive buy I certainly was not impressed with how he played his first go in Tacoma. In fact I didn't think he proved he could hit at the AAA level his first time in Tacoma at all! His recent trip was more telling in my opinion. I am way more impressed with what Stephen Romero has done in his minor league career than I have ever been with Ackley's. Unfortunately Romero has had to make a move to the outfield otherwise he is without a position.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true prospects are often times coin flips.

Ackley's numbers or stats may have been more impressive buy I certainly was not impressed with how he played his first go in Tacoma. In fact I didn't think he proved he could hit at the AAA level his first time in Tacoma at all!

You really think so?

I saw it as this

A) We knew he could hit AAA pitching because his OPS was 900+ in 300 plate appearances in 2011. Not sure how you could possibly say that he didn't demonstrate that he could hit AAA pitching during that time.

B) He went back to AAA in 2013, and hit well. Which we already knew he could do.

C) He got dominated by MLB pitching for the better part of 2 years in between his time at AAA, and has gotten dominated by MLB pitching since coming back.

So, we now know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he can hit AAA pitching well, and gets dominated at the MLB level.

I don't understand what I'm missing about this guy, or why people still hold onto the idea that he has some mystically high ceiling of talent that just hasn't developed yet. Time to wake up. It has to happen sooner or later.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think so?

Very much so!!! Good stats over a small sample size don't really prove anything.

Shit in 2010 he didn't even prove he could hit AA pitching before they moved him to AAA and he didn't hit at AAA either that year, red flag! It takes A LOT more than 300+ PA to prove you can hit, ESPECIALLY when you didn't prove it the year before. You better be tearing the flipping cover off the ball in AAA especially when you hit like crap at all levels you have been the past season. 300 PA's is a small sample size especially when that is half of your minor league at bats, and the other half sucks and at a lower level.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much so!!! Good stats over a small sample size don't really prove anything.

Shit in 2010 he didn't even prove he could hit AA pitching before they moved him to AAA and he didn't hit at AAA either that year, red flag! It takes A LOT more than 300+ PA to prove you can hit, ESPECIALLY when you didn't prove it the year before. You better be tearing the flipping cover off the ball in AAA especially when you hit like crap at all levels you have been the past season. 300 PA's is a small sample size especially when that is half of your minor league at bats, and the other half sucks and at a lower level.

The sample size his 2nd time at AAA was even smaller, wan't it?

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sample size his 2nd time at AAA was even smaller, wan't it?

Don't act oblivious its annoying.

Not only was it a smaller sample size it was a drastically more impressive sample. And it was immediate and consistent. It was also the kind of performance I would want to see from a player before he is called up, if he proves himself at the major league level or not is a different story. Then it becomes a question of why is the player successful in AAA and not successful in the majors? Is it mechanics? Is it mental? etc... Then the organizations staff and trainers need to help him bring that success with him to the majors. So yes it did show me more about Ackley this go around in AAA. For one it showed that he actually still has the ability to hit some sort of pitching and that he hasn't lost it completely.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't act oblivious its annoying.

I'm not. I can only go by what you say.

You said 300 AB is too small sample size to gauge whether Ackley could hit AAA pitching well, and that his much, much briefer stint at AAA this year was somehow more telling.

That makes little sense to me, so I asked you to clarify.

I read the rest of your post carefully, and still have no clue what you're talking about. Let's just hope that Ackley somehow figures it out up here. :)

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hultzen shut down for 10 days and Taijuan Walker has an overall innings limit.

Today's news.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see how James Jones develops, though he is 24 already. We really need a CF that can cover ground and his stolen base total suggests he has some pretty impressive speed / coverage in the OF. Not too much power from the looks of it, but that's ok if he can slam doubles and triples like he has.

Last edited by a moderator:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always kinda thought that we wouldn't see Walker up here this year no matter how well he did in the minors, and if we did see him, it wouldn't be until September. He's still really young and while he won't get here as early as King Felix did, he'll still get here plenty early, so I'm not all that bummed about not seeing him this year if it doesn't happen.

The innings limits on highly touted pitching prospects, both at the minor league and major league level is just a fact of life in major league baseball these days. If Maurer had managed to pitch well enough to stay with the big club, he would have had an innings limit as well. All of these guys would have and most certainly will when they do get here.

I think there's still an outside chance we see Hultzen in September if he gets this shoulder issue figured out and shows that there are no more ill effects down in Tacoma, but I wouldn't be surprised if they shut him down early even after he gets it figured out just so there's no unnecessary stress placed on him. Paxton seems to be having the same issue of locating the strike zone that Hultzen had last year (including throwing 13 wild pitches already) and we aren't likely to see him this year as he is already approaching his career high in innings pitched that he set last year anyway. I don't think they'll let him get too far beyond it before shutting him down too.

I know everyone came into this season excited at the prospect of seeing, if not all of these guys, at least two of them up here this year at some point, but it looks like we might have to wait one more year for that to happen.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-DJ, I really hope they don't rush Dj Peterson. In my opinion he seems like a guy that needs to gradually progress through the minor leagues.

I saw this and just had to say that if DJ has to gradually move through the system, he was the wrong pick. If you want a development player, you pick them out of High School or the later rounds. 1st round college players should be on the fast track. Not the Mike Zunino fast track but a fast track.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another guy to keep an eye on is lius gohara 16 years old down at pulaski. 16 year old brazilian who already knows how to pitch:omg:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball America's midseason top 50 prospects list has Taijuan Walker at #7 and Danny Hultzen at #38

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sorry but in my eyes I have nothing to look forward to in our minors other than danny hultzen and Tai Walker, because james paxton has been looking more and more dissapointing by the week. everybody just seems like a long term experiment we dont have that top of the line prospect to truly keep an eye on. Were in that stage where all our higher drafted prospects are in the majors and now its time for Wedge and his coaches to mold these guys together to make a good core.