• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line with Jenkins was that he didn't turn out to be what the Staff expected from him. They wanted an edge receiver which required him to get stronger than he was in college. That's why TB said they wanted him to hit the weight room to get ready for the NFL. Now most of the time this would have worked out but Jenkins was an exception in that he had an extremely low strength ceiling. He worked out a lot this summer and yet it still didn't raise his strength level high enough to play the edge in the NfL. I believe I had mentioned this as a possiblity as the main reason I questioned his ability to be successful in the NFL.

I think he also realize he was too weak for what the Niner's wanted from him and it shot his confidence in the other aspects of his game. Perhaps if KC just keeps him in the slot it would take the pressure of an he might be somewhat productive.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That article was pretty damning. If he put in the work every day he would have had a much longer leash. If it's true that he wasn't getting in the weight room with everyone else at 6am every day that's inexcusable. He needed that more than anyone else on the team. Also, it baffles me how someone in his situation shows up nearly two weeks into his QB's training program. This guy's head may be in a different planet. Seeing it through this lens definitely makes me feel better about throwing in the towel on him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article was pretty damning. If he put in the work every day he would have had a much longer leash. If it's true that he wasn't getting in the weight room with everyone else at 6am every day that's inexcusable. He needed that more than anyone else on the team. Also, it baffles me how someone in his situation shows up nearly two weeks into his QB's training program. This guy's head may be in a different planet. Seeing it through this lens definitely makes me feel better about throwing in the towel on him.

I could tell from his body language and how he spoke. I remember the off-season the 49ers website was interviewing Kyle Williams and AJ was fake as hell in the background acting like oh yeah he has got his thing going on. It was evident he got paid and reached his goal of playing in the league. He isn't interested in putting in the work now.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that article, great that Baalke got rid of him, despite him and Harbaugh kind of having to eat their words. Keeping someone like that around on the team just because of his draft status, when he wasn't putting in the work, would have been a terrible message.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex left his heart in San Francisco - Apparently, they did consult him, though it wasn't his decision, of course. I knew he'd be professional enough to help us out. :)

There's a difference between saying, "He's okay, Coach" and being a significant impetus in a guy being brought in. Frankly, I'm surprised Alex was that supportive, but it's not the same as lobbying for a guy or spearheading the move which is what I meant by significant.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's a difference between saying, "He's okay, Coach" and being a significant impetus in a guy being brought in. Frankly, I'm surprised Alex was that supportive, but it's not the same as lobbying for a guy or spearheading the move which is what I meant by significant.

It's also a matter of Jenkins vs. their 5th and 6th WR, and it's not like he'd be advocating for Baldwin after his how to drop expedition. Dude was dropping footballs like a hippie dropping acid in Berkeley in the 60's.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also a matter of Jenkins vs. their 5th and 6th WR, and it's not like he'd be advocating for Baldwin after his how to drop expedition. Dude was dropping footballs like a hippie dropping acid in Berkeley in the 60's.

Yep.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah, I was focusing on the word "any" not "significant" - in which I agree with you. I wasn't looking for a source, I was just reading ESPN's blogs and that was there. I remembered this part of the thread.

Regarding what Alex said, it just sounded like he was talking about how Jenkins may stick because they don't have that deep of receivers (not that he'd use them anyway) - not such a ringing endorsement, but I wouldn't read too much into that.

If he had any real input, it seems like it would have been about Baldwin's drops and route running. On one of his sacks, Baldwin was nowhere near where he was supposed to be. I might be reading too much into it but it looks like you could see all trust in Baldwin seep out of Smith's eyes, like he was taking a mental note. I thought he was frustrated with Baldwin, but after the trade happened, I think that he may have been frustrated with how often they targeted Baldwin. I think he wanted the offense to get into a flow, but rather they were featuring this guy they're going to trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Inside the 49ers | How the A.J. Jenkins mistake affected the 49ers? past two drafts | The Press Democrat, Santa Rosa, CA

It's a Grant Cohn article so beware.

It's just plain bizarre how hung up the guys is on AJ Jenkins and his love affair for Fleener.

I could go through all 32 teams and find multiple players they wish they never drafted and Jenkins is no different so not sure why we need to play the would've should've could've game.

The irony of it is he's basically going through all these mental gymnastics to reiterate his major complaint from this draft: they didn't draft a CB until the 7th. But as Bingo will so eagerly point out, that would not have been an issue this year if they had just taken the other Jenkins last year.

The Fleener stuff is kind of silly IMO. Based on the little I've seen of McDonald, I think he's got a decent chance of being the better player. Not to mention that if the Niners felt a CB was worth that pick, they would have likely taken one.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The other Jenkins would have been much higher up on every team's board if he didn't have the high character risk. A lot of us wanted him, but that was a major factor in not pulling the trigger. It's really easy to forget that at this point after our pick busted. It's a probability game and no GM can nail every pick because there are so many variables. If our Jenkins came into training camp this year with 10 pounds of extra muscle and ready to roll, it could have been a much different story.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could go through all 32 teams and find multiple players they wish they never drafted and Jenkins is no different so not sure why we need to play the would've should've could've game.

Because every other team goes through that game, too? Just kidding, I won't defend him. He's negative all the time and even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Being positive all the time and saying, "see, I was right!" doesn't work because the obvious is so was the team or maybe so was everyone. But if you are negative and it doesn't, you can at least go against the team.

As far as when a negative remark is proven wrong, they'll ignore that. It's almost worse when a fan does it, because if the guy they were so negative works out, they don't say they were wrong, they say, that's what I hoped for or I'm happy they proved me wrong. I want people to own up when they are wrong and feel bad about it!!! ;)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A.J. Jenkins - WR - Chiefs

Chiefs WR A.J. Jenkins wasn't targeted in Saturday's third preseason game against the Steelers.
Jenkins played only a handful of second-half snaps. Reuniting with Alex Smith isn't going to help Jenkins shed his bust label.

Aug 25 - 1:09 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A.J. Jenkins - WR - Chiefs

Chiefs WR A.J. Jenkins played six snaps in Kansas City's opener, but was not targeted.

He's behind Dwayne Bowe, Donnie Avery, Dexter McCluster, and Junior Hemingway on the depth chart. Jon Baldwin -- for whom Jenkins was acquired in an August 19 trade with San Francisco -- was a healthy scratch on Opening Day.

Sep 9 - 2:57 PM

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if Jenkins was active or not on Sunday but he had his usual stat line of zero catches for zero yards.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He had 6 snaps according to a Chief fan on another forum.