• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

8/15 GDT Nats @ Giants

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the idea was shut down for rest of reg season, but pitch in playoffs? If not that's kinda dumb.

And why does it have to be games? Why not let him pitch 3-4 innings per start instead? Or go to a 6 man rotation?

They could go Colorado Rockies style with him.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the idea was shut down for rest of reg season, but pitch in playoffs? If not that's kinda dumb.

And why does it have to be games? Why not let him pitch 3-4 innings per start instead? Or go to a 6 man rotation?

USA Today:

At his current rate, Strasburg figures to reach his innings limit by mid-September, then watch the stretch run and possibly the playoffs from the bench. His teammates sound resigned to it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA Today:

At his current rate, Strasburg figures to reach his innings limit by mid-September, then watch the stretch run and possibly the playoffs from the bench. His teammates sound resigned to it.

That's just dumb. I hope the Nats falter in the playoffs because of it, would be just.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Tough situation. But shutting him down and starting him up in the playoff does not sound like a good idea to me. Takes a while to build arm strength back after a shutdown - would probably make him even more susceptible to injury.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough situation. But shutting him down and starting him up in the playoff does not sound like a good idea to me. Takes a while to build arm strength back after a shutdown - would probably make him even more susceptible to injury.

OK fair enough. Then limit the innings or pitch counts or spot start him every 10 games. The way they are doing it is idiotic.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That too, pitch limit not innings/games limit. It baffles me.

It is interesting that they are going with a strict innings limit rather than a pitch limit. There was an article about this on Yahoo saying that there is no science behind what they've decided to do; they're just going on a hunch that this is the best thing to do.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are doing it based mostly on the plan they had for Zimmermann last year. They see this team as a team that is built to contend for the next 4-5 years and they don't want to risk that right now. That is what Rizzo is saying, at least.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Casilla has officially ended the speculation on whether he can be our closer. Spoiler alert: he can't.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are doing it based mostly on the plan they had for Zimmermann last year. They see this team as a team that is built to contend for the next 4-5 years and they don't want to risk that right now. That is what Rizzo is saying, at least.

We all agree he needs special handling and limits but you've got to find a way to use him in the playoffs, even if that means using him less in the regular season.

They're doing it wrong.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes sense to play it safe with a guy like that...but really unfortunate. With him, you guys would have a chance to win it all.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that's what they're built for long term, then I think it's the wisest idea. I don't know anything about the Nats farm system, payroll, etc. That said, I'd rather put my eggs into the 4-5 year window than the "this year" plan. Tough for the Nats fans this year, but long term it seems like the right play.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK fair enough. Then limit the innings or pitch counts or spot start him every 10 games. The way they are doing it is idiotic.

I don't know that it's idiotic. He's essentially in the last phase of his rehab, and there is no experience with what effects a radically reduced innings limit per game would do for his rehab. They're simply staying in the known, since going out of it is too risky. They're doing the kid a solid, if you ask me.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all agree he needs special handling and limits but you've got to find a way to use him in the playoffs, even if that means using him less in the regular season.

They're doing it wrong.

Can anybody remember something like this happening before? I can't. Maybe they could have planned this out better so that he could've pitched in the playoffs.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense to play it safe with a guy like that...but really unfortunate. With him, you guys would have a chance to win it all.

When pressed, a couple of the beat writers have said that if he were playing in the playoffs, he would be sandwiched into the second spot between Zim and Gio because he has been very hot and cold. Still, I wish we had him to throw out in a Game 7 situation should it arise.

I understand the reasoning and they said that they couldn't spot start him because the 5 day cycle is important as well. The only way that I think they could have done it different is to start "spring training" with him in April or May and get 40-50 into the season before starting him up. I am not sure they thought they would be in this situation though. I also don't know if they would be in this situation without him there in the early games.

It sucks though, for sure.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting that they are going with a strict innings limit rather than a pitch limit. There was an article about this on Yahoo saying that there is no science behind what they've decided to do; they're just going on a hunch that this is the best thing to do.

It really isn't a strict innings limit, though. Rizzo has said all along that there wasn't going to be a magic # that once he reaches it, that's it (I don't blame you for thinking this, by the way, since the national media seems to ignore that). Basically, they are just not going to let him pitch on a tired arm.

The other thing to remember is that his previous high in innings pitched in a season is 130, and they don't want the year that he comes back from injury to be the year that he pitches way more innings than before.

That being said, you guys have mentioned many ways to handle this that Rizzo for some reason has decided not to do. The one I thought was the best was just have him start his season in mid or late May. I don't know why, but he's been dead-set against anything other than what he's doing.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Can anybody remember something like this happening before? I can't. Maybe they could have planned this out better so that he could've pitched in the playoffs.

It's pretty common these days to limit the innings pitched for prospects as they matriculate through the system. The idea is to stay away from large jumps in innings pitched. You'll see this referenced from time to time, especially when college arms are drafted and they evaluate the stress already put on the arm from their just completed college season.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When pressed, a couple of the beat writers have said that if he were playing in the playoffs, he would be sandwiched into the second spot between Zim and Gio because he has been very hot and cold. Still, I wish we had him to throw out in a Game 7 situation should it arise.

I understand the reasoning and they said that they couldn't spot start him because the 5 day cycle is important as well. The only way that I think they could have done it different is to start "spring training" with him in April or May and get 40-50 into the season before starting him up. I am not sure they thought they would be in this situation though. I also don't know if they would be in this situation without him there in the early games.

It sucks though, for sure.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. Maybe they could've had someone like Lannan pitch the first month and a half or so, and then slowly bring along Strasburg. A little extra rest and rehab at the start of the season couldn't have hurt Strasburg. Giving up a few wins early in the season by not using him is not as bad as not having him available in the event they made the playoffs.