• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers to target receivers as area for improvement

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It appears the 49ers might have missed a spot in their extreme makeover this season.

And that area was impossible to miss for those paying attention during the postseason.

In two games, the 49ers wide receivers managed eight catches for 51 yards and one touchdown. In their 20-17 overtime loss to New York in the NFC Championship Game, Michael Crabtree’s 3-yard catch was the only reception by a wideout.

Much has changed in San Francisco, which had its first wining season and postseason victory in nine years. But the lack of production from wide receivers remains the same. The Niners and Bears are the only teams without a 1,000-yard wide receiver since 2003.

It’s a position San Francisco will address in the offseason, whether through the draft or free agency, or both. On Monday, however, it was not a subject coach Jim Harbaugh cared to discuss when asked if the 49ers needed to upgrade their wideouts.

“I’m not going to turn this press conference into a personnel meeting,” Harbaugh said.

With Michael Crabtree and Kyle Williams the only wide receivers under contract for 2012, though, it’s a conversation Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke will be having in the coming months.

Crabtree, the No. 10 overall pick in 2009, began justifying his draft slot after a sluggish start. He finished with 72 catches for 874 yards, the highest totals for a San Francisco wideout since Terrell Owens in 2003.

But Crabtree regressed in the playoffs. In a divisional-playoff win against the Saints, he had at least two drops to go with four catches for 25 yards and a 4-yard touchdown. His performance against the Giants raised familiar questions about his ability to develop into an elite wide receiver and his attitude.

In the locker room, Crabtree suggested quarterback Alex Smith didn’t give him enough chances to make plays.

“All I do is run routes,” he said. “When you don’t get that many opportunities, it’s hard to talk.”

Smith didn’t ignore his wideouts in the playoffs, but he did fail to connect with them. He completed 8 of 29 passes for 51 yards and had a 51.1 rating when targeting wide receivers. He completed 28 of 37 passes for 444 yards and had a 151.2 rating when throwing to tight ends and running backs.

Asked if he was open against the Giants and Smith failed to see him, Crabtree said, “Half the time you’re not going to be open. That’s why they call you a playmaker – just give you chances.”

While questions still surround Crabtree, there’s no question he was the top wide receiver on a team that finished the season with no other proven options on the outside.

Former Pro Bowler Braylon Edwards was expected to have a huge impact, but his injury-riddled year ended prematurely when the Niners released him before the regular-season finale. Williams, 23, showed flashes, but his 20 catches were just five more than Joshua Morgan, who broke his leg in Week 5 and is a free agent.

Ted Ginn Jr.? The free-agent-to-be is an elite punt returner, but has just 31 catches in his two seasons in San Francisco.

Even if Morgan re-signs, the 49ers will still be lacking the big-bodied, red-zone target they thought they had in Edwards.

“He is a big receiver,” Harbaugh said in August. “We were looking for that big stature receiver.”

Five months and 18 games later, the search continues.

List of top prospects available in draft. B5

Wide-open market

The 49ers have several options to find an elite wide receiver. Here are the top free agents, with an eye toward bigger bodies:

Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs

Ht: 6-2; Wt: 221; Age: 27

Note: Has 153 catches for 2,321 yards and 20 TDs the past two seasons.

DeSean Jackson, Eagles

Ht: 5-10; Wt: 175; Age: 25

Note: Does not meet size requirements. Me-first reputation may not fit with Niners’ blue-collar ethic.

Vincent Jackson, Chargers

Ht: 6-5; Wt: 230; Age: 29

Note: Has 27 TDs in his past 47 games, but has expressed desire to stay in San Diego.

Steve Johnson, Bills

Ht: 6-2; Wt: 210; Age: 25

Note: Former Chabot College player has produced two straight 1,000-yard seasons.

Marques Colston, Saints

Ht: 6-4; Wt: 225; Age: 28

Note: Has averaged 1,040 yards and 8 TDs in his six-year career … with Drew Brees as his QB.
Draft prospects

With several top receivers coming out of college, the 49ers could find their man in the draft. They select No. 30 overall. Height, weight and age in parenthesis:

Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State (6-1, 215; 22): Barring a significant trade, the two-time Biletnikoff Award winner and consensus top-10 pick is beyond the Niners’ reach.

Michael Floyd, Notre Dame (6-3, 224; 22): Likely top-20 pick also comes with character concerns after three alcohol-related incidents during college.

Chris Givens, Wake Forest (6-0, 195; 22): Led ACC in receiving yardage (1,330) as a junior this past season.

Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina (6-4, 229, 21): Another potential high-end pick; finished runner-up to Blackmon for Biletnikoff in 2010.

Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers (6-2, 215; 22): His 115-catch junior season included a combined 29 catches in back-to-back games.

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com 49ers to target receivers as area for improvement

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Draft prospects

With several top receivers coming out of college, the 49ers could find their man in the draft. They select No. 30 overall. Height, weight and age in parenthesis:

Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State (6-1, 215; 22): Barring a significant trade, the two-time Biletnikoff Award winner and consensus top-10 pick is beyond the Niners’ reach.

Michael Floyd, Notre Dame (6-3, 224; 22): Likely top-20 pick also comes with character concerns after three alcohol-related incidents during college.

Chris Givens, Wake Forest (6-0, 195; 22): Led ACC in receiving yardage (1,330) as a junior this past season.

Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina (6-4, 229, 21): Another potential high-end pick; finished runner-up to Blackmon for Biletnikoff in 2010.

Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers (6-2, 215; 22): His 115-catch junior season included a combined 29 catches in back-to-back games.

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com 49ers to target receivers as area for improvement

Why isn't Juron Criner on this list? Freaking idiots!

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thanks calison, I did just that.

Saw some good things like positioning and hands. ESPN graded him an overall 68. I am not saying I agree rather just stating what they say.

Jeffery was given a grade of 87

They didn't have grades on Givens or Sanu.

"Grading Scale
90-100 Rare Prospect
Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Is a premier college player that has all the skill to take over a game and play at a championship level. He rates in the top 5 players in the nation at his position and is considered a first round draft prospect.
80-89 Outstanding Prospect
Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. A feature player that has an impact on the outcome of the game. Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out. He rates in the top 10 at his position and is considered a second round draft prospect.
70-79 Solid Prospect
Still a standout player at the college level that is close to being an elite player. He has no glaring weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchups, but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. He will usually rate in the top third of players at his position and is considered a third round draft prospect.
60-69 Good Prospect
This player is an good starter that will give a solid effort week in and week out, but he is overmatched versus the better players in the nation. His weaknesses will be exposed against top competition. He is usually a prospect that is missing something from his game. For example, he has the size and skills to be an outstanding prospect, but lacks the speed. He will usually rate in the top half of the players at his position and is considered a middle round draft choice.
50-59 Adequate Prospect
These are usually players that play at a high level in college, but lack some measurables or skills to play at that same level in the NFL. He may be a player that has a lot of developmental qualities, or could be a player that will contribute right away on special teams or in a situational capacity. He will usually rate in the second-third at his position and is considered a fifth round draft choice.
21-49 Borderline Draft Prospect
These are players that teams like something about, but certainly do not have the full package in terms of NFL talent. A lot of times, teams will take chances on character players or developmental type athletes with this grade. And often, these are players that come from smaller schools or did not standout at the college level. NFL teams are looking for 'diamonds in the rough' with this type of prospect. He will usually rate in the bottom third of players at his position and will be considered a late round draft choice or un-drafted free agent.
20 Free Agent Prospect
These are players that did not make our original 'evaluation list' but are prospects that need to be monitored. Especially in the pre-season, these players will fluctuate up and down depending on performance in their final year of eligibility.
10 Not a legitimate Prospect
These are players that lack NFL measurables and/or skills. They are players that we feel would not even make a solid contribution as a training camp body."

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id love to grab Hemingway later in draft as long as we pick up a good free agent wr

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be upset with Alshon Jeffery at #30 in the draft if he is still on the board. 6'4 receiver that has showed the ability to use his height and jumping ability to make plays in an offense that featured horrible QB's. I don't feel to bad when late 1st round picks don't work out either. I mean you're typically taking guys that are either hit or miss at that point.

Texas9erFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm feeling less and less interested in what the Niners could find in FA and far more interested in what they could find in the draft. I think we're far more likely to build an elite team that will last more than a season or two by building thru the draft. FA is just expensive and kills our cap space.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling less and less interested in what the Niners could find in FA and far more interested in what they could find in the draft. I think we're far more likely to build an elite team that will last more than a season or two by building thru the draft. FA is just expensive and kills our cap space.

there really isn't any big time wr's in the draft. some sold guys among a bunch of names. lloyd shouldn't be too expensive. i'd like to bring in colston and lloyd if they dont get big offers elsewhere. morgan should be cheap to resign and he can battle crabtree for the 3rd spot

Texas9erFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've got a lot of faith in Morgan as our #2 and I guess Crabs could still be an OK #3. So all we really need is one good receiver.

So trade all our draft picks for one really high pick. Something in the top 10 or even 5. It's hard though. Crabs should have been THAT GUY but he's a bust. It happens I guess. It's probably a good thing I'm not in the front office and making those decisions.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've got a lot of faith in Morgan as our #2 and I guess Crabs could still be an OK #3. So all we really need is one good receiver.

So trade all our draft picks for one really high pick. Something in the top 10 or even 5. It's hard though. Crabs should have been THAT GUY but he's a bust. It happens I guess. It's probably a good thing I'm not in the front office and making those decisions.

So good teams don't build through FA, instead they build through trading away the entire draft to snag one player - a WR no less? I agree with the first sentiment. But trading away the draft for any WR would be a huge mistake IMO. This team has talent, but it's not a WR away from being consistently great. We need picks. There will be talent that we can mine in the draft. We may have to develop it, but so be it. Blowing our load for a single player would be silly.

And Crabtree is a disappointment, not a bust.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So good teams don't build through FA, instead they build through trading away the entire draft to snag one player - a WR no less? I agree with the first sentiment. But trading away the draft for any WR would be a huge mistake IMO. This team has talent, but it's not a WR away from being consistently great. We need picks. There will be talent that we can mine in the draft. We may have to develop it, but so be it. Blowing our load for a single player would be silly.

I wonder what kind of a wr Crabbs will be with a good QB no knock on Alex just that i was thinking some WR's won't want to come here if Alex is our QB for the future, just thinking out loud!

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what kind of a wr Crabbs will be with a good QB no knock on Alex just that i was thinking some WR's won't want to come here if Alex is our QB for the future, just thinking out loud!

I would change the "good QB" with a shottaker, risk taker, big play maker, because Alex is good, not great or eliite, at least noot yet.

And there's no way of saying what you said without knocking Alex. Saying he's not good cannot be anything but a knock on him. So I don't think you meant good. It's fine to knock him, just saying that saying "no knock on him" has no effect on whether it is a knock or not. It's like when Cohn said calling Harbaugh an 11 year old was not an insult because he was "extremely fond of 11 year olds."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agree we're not in position to trade all of our picks to draft a WR. we're good but not THAT good. btw - Atlanta sort of did this last year.

something in the 'middle' would be ok with me, say trade 3rd and 4th to move up higher 3rd? trade 4th and 5th to move up higher 4th? we won't get an NFL #1 but we could really use a quick 'slot' receiver......with good hands.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think that signing Morgan and signing Robert Meachem is the most economical, as well as effective way to go. Meachem will put that speed on the field, plus he consistently stays out of the "drops" category.

I know people want this big body red zone target and womp, womp, womp. Smith just needs to work on the back shoulder throw in the red zone.

Robert Meachem Highlights - YouTube

He looks fine in the red zone to me. He's ready to break out as a top wr in the league, I really hope we don't miss out.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think that signing Morgan and signing Robert Meachem is the most economical, as well as effective way to go. Meachem will put that speed on the field, plus he consistently stays out of the "drops" category.

I know people want this big body red zone target and womp, womp, womp. Smith just needs to work on the back shoulder throw in the red zone.

Robert Meachem Highlights - YouTube

He looks fine in the red zone to me. He's ready to break out as a top wr in the league, I really hope we don't miss out.

I've been on the Meachem wagon since UT. We can get a cheap redzone target in Burress. I'd sign both. That leaves us with enough coin to let Rogers and Brooks walk and make a run at Mario Williams. Mario and Aldon allow Culliver and T Brown to get it done at CB.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on the Meachem wagon since UT. We can get a cheap redzone target in Burress. I'd sign both. That leaves us with enough coin to let Rogers and Brooks walk and make a run at Mario Williams. Mario and Aldon allow Culliver and T Brown to get it done at CB.

I'd just be wary of Williams' injury concerns. I'd love to have him, as long as there wasn't anything to these injuries. I mean, he started every game of his career until 2010, then he had season ending sports hernia surgery (or a groin). Then last season he tore his pec, season ending surgery again. He could be wearing down a bit.

Though I'd LOVE a healthy Williams, I think I'm really on this Chandler Jones wagon right now. I think I'd rather have Jones (at #30) replace Brooks, re sign Rodgers, sign Meachem and I like your idea of signing Burris too (over Morgan).

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd like to draft any of the following as an upgrade to the niners WR corps (in no particular order):
Sanu
Criner
Jeffery
Streeter
Quick

anyone have any other feasible draft options they like?? I know we're not gonna get Blackmon...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd like to draft any of the following as an upgrade to the niners WR corps (in no particular order):
Sanu
Criner
Jeffery
Streeter
Quick

anyone have any other feasible draft options they like?? I know we're not gonna get Blackmon...

believe teams are able to sign other FA's March 13th? anyways, what do we go after first, a FA first or draft pick?

when free agency starts, i'm sure we'll at least feel the market, but will we go hard after a WR? cause IF we sign a quality WR via free agency, i'd think we won't go after these names?