• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers' off-season; Cap Space $8,346,186.00

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Odrick & Mike Wallace are must-haves in my book. Get' em!

And trade up for Chance Warmack!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Clayton's mailbag:

Q: With a new coaching regime in Cleveland, many speculate that Brandon Weeden may not be the starting quarterback. Would it be reasonable for the Browns to trade backup Colt McCoy and a late-round pick for someone such as Alex Smith? This would provide San Francisco a backup quarterback with starting experience and a much lower salary.

James in Bowling Green, Ohio

A: The McCoy part doesn't work. Niners coach Jim Harbaugh will find his own backup, so that part of the trade won't happen. The answer is yes to the Smith part. I don't agree the current ownership needs to go on the hunt for a new quarterback, but if it does, a Smith trade makes sense. New Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner did a good job with Smith the one year they worked together in San Francisco. If the Browns are really looking for a quarterback, offering San Francisco a midround choice wouldn't be unreasonable.

Honestly, the only reason I post that is because of the poster's suggestion that the Browns trade McCoy and a late-round pick for Smith. I thought that was good for a laugh. Hell, I'd rather just give them Smith to let us save the $1 million and get nothing in return.

How about Brandon Weeden? Just kidding, I want Harbaugh to choose his backup.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Speaking of Harbaugh choosing his backup, I don't agree with the rationale of having to get a QB with similar skills to Kaepernick so they don't have to change the offense if he goes down. First of all, there is no QB with similar skills to Kaepernick except maybe Cam Newton. Secondly, I think Roman was so successful with Kaep because he formed the offense around Kaep & not the other way around. If he goes down, you gotta form the offense around the backup; don't just have a backup try to do what Kaep does.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The more I think about it, the more I think it would be a good idea to franchise Goldson one more season & move him to SS.

I used to really want the Niners to sign Richard Seymour, but now I've jumped on the trade-for-Jared-Odrick train. The difference in cap hit is huge; it's probably enough that Seymour & Goldson + Odrick would be about equal.

My biggest concern would be that I would keep calling him Ordick like I think I did a few times. :)

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Speaking of Harbaugh choosing his backup, I don't agree with the rationale of having to get a QB with similar skills to Kaepernick so they don't have to change the offense if he goes down. First of all, there is no QB with similar skills to Kaepernick except maybe Cam Newton. Secondly, I think Roman was so successful with Kaep because he formed the offense around Kaep & not the other way around. If he goes down, you gotta form the offense around the backup; don't just have a backup try to do what Kaep does.

The flaw in this thinking should be obvious.

Of course the offense was built around Kaep, that's because Kaep was drafted to be the QB for 10+ years. If we draft a backup like Bray in the 3rd round or so, and Kaep goes down so Bray has to play, we aren't going to build an offense around him for a few games then go back to Kaep. That's incredibly counter-productive.

Also, there are definitely QBs with similar skills to Kaep. They may not be as good, but to say they don't exist is ignorant.

I'd also ask if you felt Kaep would be as good as he is 2 seasons into his career when he was first drafted, or is it possible that the Harbaugh/Roman/Chryst triumvirate know what they're doing in developing QBs?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If we draft a backup like Bray in the 3rd round or so, and Kaep goes down so Bray has to play, we aren't going to build an offense around him for a few games then go back to Kaep. That's incredibly counter-productive.

Why not? Do you know how big the play book is? There are plenty of plays for a QB like Bray if Kaep goes down.

Also, there are definitely QBs with similar skills to Kaep. They may not be as good, but to say they don't exist is ignorant.

This part of your post had just a pinch of Bemular in it the way you put that, but I'll overlook the straw man destruction. I know there are tall, fast, rocket-armed QBs out there on planet earth, but I don't see any QB who is available to the 49ers with the same kind of skill set as Kaepernick unless you want to put a WR out there as a QB. Or did you have someone in mind?

I'd also ask if you felt Kaep would be as good as he is 2 seasons into his career when he was first drafted, or is it possible that the Harbaugh/Roman/Chryst triumvirate know what they're doing in developing QBs?

Of course they know what they're doing. I don't know where you're going with that.

Let me put my point this way: you don't go out & look for another QB who's like Kaepernick to be the backup; you go out & find the best available prospect for the amount of money and / or draft pick value you want to spend. The Niners are lucky enough to be in a position they have a 25-year-old starter, so they can go with a backup who has a lot of potential but isn't a great prospect yet because he probably won't have to play for a very long time (if at all in a 49er uniform). So let's go through the possibilities for a backup QB:

Tyler Wilson? He'll be drafted too high.
Matt Barley? He'll be drafted too high. And he's terribly overrated.
Geno Smith? Probably a top 10 pick if not the top pick overall.
Mike Glennon? He'll be drafted too high; probably top 40.
EJ Manuel? I could see him as a backup. I actually like Manuel. 4th round maybe?
Landry Jones? I think he'll go in the 40-50 range. Don't think he'll be there at 63.
Am I forgetting anyone?

How 'bout Tyler Bray in the 2nd round or with Carolina's 3rd rounder? He might be actually be there (unlike everyone on this list except Manuel). The only limitation he'd have as far as the usual play-calling would be lack of mobility; he can still make all the throws.

So the only 2 QBs who even look like a possibility and don't lack talent are Manuel & Bray. I'd be fine with either one.

Note: Of course the next Kurt Warner or Jeff Garcia might be in the draft too; I just wouldn't count on that kind of thing happening with a largely unknown QB prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
P.S. Matt Schaub was Michael Vick's backup, and the Falcons developed & traded him with no problems. And Schaub even got a couple of starts when Vick was hurt, and he played very well. Schaub & Vick couldn't be any different in terms of skill set, dog killing or herpes outbreaks.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Total number of draft picks

Just bumping this info for future use:

49ers 2013 picks
1. First round: Own pick
2. Second round: Own pick
3. Third round: Own pick
4. Third round: From Carolina in trade-back during 2012 draft
5. Third round: Likely compensatory selection
6. Fourth round: Own pick
7. Fifth round: Own pick
8. Fifth round: From Indianapolis in trade-back during 2012 draft
9. Sixth round: Own pick
10. Sixth round: From Miami in trade-back during 2012 draft
11. Seventh round: Own pick
12. Seventh round: From Cincinnati for Taylor Mays
13. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection
14. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What type of contract will Greg Jennings sign in free agency? 5 year 60 mil?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that big IMO. That's more than Vincent Jackson got.

It may not be that big but I do think it will be up there... Not a target I want the 9ers to look at I want size on this WR core. Everyone but Crabtree is 6 foot or less and Crabtree is only 6-1.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Delaine walking away?
February, 11, 2013 3:34PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

Though he's typically been outshined by fellow San Francisco 49ers TE Vernon Davis, impending free agent Delanie Walker certainly did himself some favors with his play down the stretch of the 2012 season, and in the club's run to the Super Bowl. Despite playing WR in college, Walker has become a force in the blocking game -- both in-line and downfield -- as evidenced by his key play on Ed Reed during a Frank Gore TD run in the Super Bowl. So will he be back under Jim Harbaugh's tutelage in 2013?

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle isn't so certain. Branch notes that Walker will likely draw interest elsewhere as a No. 1 TE, as well as a contract that befits a player with that job description. As far as Walker himself is concerned, he thinks the Niners have a good thing going, and he'd like to return as long as they pay him at a fair rate.

"I like playing for the 49ers, I like our system and I love the head coach," Walker beamed. "So whatever I can do, or whatever the organization can do to get me here, that's what I want to do."

It'll be interesting to see how big of a priority the team places on re-signing Walker ahead of other impending free agents like S Dashon Goldson, as well as keeping some money available for finding more options at WR.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just like the transition the team made from Steve Young to Elvis Grbac when Steve missed a few games. That should remind people that you don't need CK v.2 to keep it going... since Grbac was nothing like Young, even threw it with the wrong hand.

The offense is clearly more dynamic and explosive when they include the pistol package with CK.... but, they can survive and win a few games if they go back to the types of plays they called with Alex Smith, with say, Tolzien as the QB.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barrows:

Safety Michael Thomas, who filled an array of roles while on the #49ers practice squad, has re-signed with the team.

To a reserve/future contract. Nothing like a long term commitment with guaranteed money worth mentioning.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just like the transition the team made from Steve Young to Elvis Grbac when Steve missed a few games. That should remind people that you don't need CK v.2 to keep it going... since Grbac was nothing like Young, even threw it with the wrong hand.

The offense is clearly more dynamic and explosive when they include the pistol package with CK.... but, they can survive and win a few games if they go back to the types of plays they called with Alex Smith, with say, Tolzien as the QB.

The team with Young relied on his legs, but didn't have plays designed around the threat of him running like we do now with read option. A significant part of our offense in 2012 and presumably going forward, is plays designed for CK to take off with the ball. The offense, in the mid 90s, wasn't running stuff like QB power and read options.

We didn't have plays in the offense that were called with regularity in 95 and 96 that Young could run and Grbac couldn't.

If we were to draft Tyler Bray this year, there is a significant chunk of the playbook that he can't run. No defense is going to respect the QB keep option on any option play when it's being run by Tyler Bray.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The team with Young relied on his legs, but didn't have plays designed around the threat of him running like we do now with read option. A significant part of our offense in 2012 and presumably going forward, is plays designed for CK to take off with the ball. The offense, in the mid 90s, wasn't running stuff like QB power and read options.

We didn't have plays in the offense that were called with regularity in 95 and 96 that Young could run and Grbac couldn't.

If we were to draft Tyler Bray this year, there is a significant chunk of the playbook that he can't run. No defense is going to respect the QB keep option on any option play when it's being run by Tyler Bray.

Do you really think the QB keep is a "big chunk" of the playbook? Like what percentage of the playbook do you think is a drop-back pass? Because I think it's probably close to 95%.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do you really think the QB keep is a "big chunk" of the playbook? Like what percentage of the playbook do you think is a drop-back pass? Because I think it's probably close to 95%.

I think the read-option is a fairly significant portion of our playbook. The reason it works is because Kaep can hand the ball off and occupy a defender at the same time. Bray will not occupy a defender in the run game.

I think it's crazy to say that a drop-back pass is 95% of the playbook on a running team.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the read option wasn't a big portion of the playbook, it most certainly will be going forward....

But Kaep is still a dangerous pocket passer.... lets just hope teams haven't figured him out just yet.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think it's crazy to say that a drop-back pass is 95% of the playbook on a running team.

Well, not includding designed plays for the runningback of course...

But even if 20% of the plays where the QB keeps the ball are designed runs or even options, that still leves almost 80% of the passing plays Bray would have no trouble running. That's not enough plays to get through a game or 2 while Kaep nurses an injury?